Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
this is actually a Vista question but:

how can I get my computer to output directly into the speakers whatever is coming in through the microphone. as in, instead of having to record it then hear it, it just straight jacks into the speakersand i can hear it real time. I got this cool USB turntable that i can record just fine with but i wan tto be able to listen without having to record it. any suggestions? thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I know theres a OP/Megathread about this but I cant find it...

What is the solution to the general "slowness" all windows systems seem to get as they go on? Like my computer was lightening fast when I first got it. I havent really installed many programs and i clean it with 3 different anti-virus every other day. How do I get that "fresh install" speed to last forever?

Any suggestions?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
i knew someone would say that.

Im serious though, is it the registry or something?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Can anyone recommend a program for scanning and then organizing large numbers of documents (contracts, invoice, ect) with corresponding metadata (client name, date, ect)?

Something where basically I would Scan a document and then get prompted to enter some info into certain fields (its ok if i need to make the fields myself) and then it will save it to a central location and maintain a database where I can look things up based on that metadata?

Any help would be appreciated.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
This looks good. Although its not clear whether you can get just the software without the buying the scanner..

edit: Nope. Gotta buy the scanner.

I talked to a sales rep but he didn't seem very knowledgeable about the software. He claimed that it did not have any kind of fields you can fill in as metadata (rather, it OCR's it and does it for you, which I don't trust/can't rely on) but that I could write "notes" which were searchable. I don't know, doesn't seem like what I really want, and I don't want to plop down 400 bucks for an incomplete solution.

Gozinbulx fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 21, 2013

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
In case you didnt see my edit:

Nope. Gotta buy the scanner.

I talked to a sales rep but he didn't seem very knowledgeable about the software. He claimed that it did not have any kind of fields you can fill in as metadata (rather, it OCR's it and does it for you, which I don't trust/can't rely on) but that I could write "notes" which were searchable. I don't know, doesn't seem like what I really want, and I don't want to plop down 400 bucks for an

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

stubblyhead posted:

There's a less expensive one with a smaller scanner that feeds the page through instead of the flatbed or whatever the other version has. I could have sworn it was only $99 when I gout mine a few years ago, but it's $180 now. I use one of the small ones at work for expense reporting and stuff, and the OCR in my experience is really good. Anything that doesn't come over correctly can be updated afterwards though, so you're not stuck with its version of the truth or anything. I admit it seems like some hokey thing you'd see advertised in the Delta in-flight magazine or something, but it actually does work pretty well in my experience.

Problem is, I need this for contracts and stuff where things are often times handwritten.

Also its all in Spanish, which always seems to trip up OCR, especially special characters.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Travakian posted:

Other hardware options are Doxie, and the Fujitsu ScanSnap is very well received.

These are nice too (although the Fujitsu software looks kinda crappy) but neither elaborate on their software too much (especially doxie) and make no mentioned of customizeable field searches.

I appreciate the input though.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
This looks promising.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I have a very specific task that I want to do and want to know if theres a program than can do it or I'm going to need to run some complicated AutoHotkey script or something:

Basically, I want this program to periodically (maybe every hour?) check a certain folder, determine if anything new has been added to it, and then copy it over to another folder without erasing anything in the target folder that is not found in the source folder I say that cause I don't want it to be a true "sync" because that would mean it wants to mirror the folders, which I don't want. I want the target folder be a kind of running archive of everything thats been added to the source folder, even if it has been since deleted from said source folder.

Any ideas?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Thanks guys

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I figured as much, its just kinda hard to read the whole thread.

Sorry about that.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
This is quickly becoming my favorite thread:

Is there anyway to play a file thats being downloaded through FTP while its still downloading?

If I have an AVI sitting on an FTP and I want to start playing before it finishes downloading, is that at all possible?

I've heard of this being possible but I have yet to get it to work anyway I've tried. I even used a program like WebDrive to mount the FTP as a drive and tried to play it through VLC but nothing.

Any ideas?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Remote server.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

baka kaba posted:

VLC should be able to play the partial file as it's downloaded - it probably depends on how your FTP program works. If it saves an empty animes.avi file to your download folder, which grows over time, you're golden. If it messes with hidden files or a temp directory, and moves the file when it's done, you might have some issues to work around.

Also it might depend on the avi, it's just a container format so maybe there's an awkward codec in there. Most avis I've seen work fine, although they sometimes won't let you skip around until it's finished downloading, something to do with important data being at the end

Yeah, I've pretty much been trying to do this except I cant seem to find an FTP client which stores the temp file somewhere locatable. Any suggestions?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Eureka! Apparently FileZilla does exactly this!

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Can anyone recommend me a good program for syncing with an FTP server aka anything that gets uploaded to the FTP server gets downloaded to x local folder? I would also like it if it would refrain from deleting something from the local drive just cause it was deleted from the FTP.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Anyone have a recommendation for some kind of error reporting program? I know Task Scheduler can be activated by events, and that those events can be errors in the system log. Problem is, the error my particular program generates is a generic "error 1001" (or whatever it is) which works fairly well but then I learned that other programs can trigger an error with this same number code, which will trigger my script and gently caress everything up. I need something that can monitor a specific program, and then use its closing (error or otherwise) as a trigger for a script (AHK script). Any ideas?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Quick, stupid question:

I'm running and old, crappy, XP machine just to stream a certain TV stream on a small tv. Obviously, I just have it there with no mouse or keyboard, hidden away. Problem: The pointer not only appears dead center of the screen, but for whatever reason, full screening the flash video doesnt make it disappear (as it usually does if a mouse is plugged in). Any ideas on how I can make it disappear?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I've always used GoToMyPC for the that very reason. Even if you're stuck on some network that only allows port 80 and 443, you'll be just fine.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Pretty specific request:

I need an ftp client (yes, client) that was a web interface that can be accessed remotely. Basically something like how sabnzbdb works with a browser interface that one can then forward to access remotely. I want to be able to log in, browse an ftp site and pick files to be downloaded to the remote site (the one running the client). Google brought up few, mixed results. Any ideas?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Is there a service/software/platform than functions like Dropbox but lets me have multiple directories on the same computer linked to different accounts? I know Dropbox cant do this but I really need it for a couple of things im trying to accomplish.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Read posted:

Autohotkey is awesome for all kinds of things and is very easy to learn even without any prior programming knowledge whatsoever, I highly recommend it.

This times a million. I've used it to basically transform the way I do certain (very important) things.

To answer my own question from back there about multiple Dropbox instances, I found a solution which, coincidentally, uses AHK.

http://nionsoftware.com/dbpahk/

I just donated 20 bucks to this guy for saving my life.

Brilliant little program, all powered by AHK.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
So what is a good solution for basically "locking down" a WinXP workstation so that people can only basically browse the web, use Word, and print?

I'm running out of ideas on how to get people to gently caress up the work computers after only a few months.

I know User permissions can accomplish alot, but I think I need to physically lock the out of any program other than Chrome and Word.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Thanks guys.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I'm having trouble getting Win7 search to really search through the contents of files (not just filenames). Specifically, XLS (Excel) files. Sometimes I'll search a directory for a string which I know exists and it will indeed find it. In others, not so much.

Any suggestions? After reading a bunch, people seem to conclude (rightfully I think) that Win7 search function is a total disaster and suggest 3rd party searching software. Any recommendations for that?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I have set those parameters, but I don't know how to manually re-index a directory.

Plus having to manually re-index is not very useful if im searching for something new/recent.

But still, no. Could you tell me how?

edit: Ah, I see.

Second question then: Is there a 3rd party search tool that can also search the contents of text PDFs?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

WorkingStiff posted:

The easiest way is to install Adobe's iFilter which integrates with the existing search function. LINK.

Thank you sir, did exactly what I needed!

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I'm getting a weird error trying to logon to a domain at work. All other computers on the network/domain login just fine:

an attempt was made to logon but the network logon service was not started

Anyone have any experience with this, before I just nuke it and reinstall Win7 (really don't want to).

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
The problem is I can't get into the computer at all.

The best I can do is recovery console thing when you stick in a Win7 boot USB (from "repair computer" from Install dialog)

I tried to run services.msc from there and it gave me "Windows does not know how to open this program" and suggested I open it in notepad.

I guess im running out of options.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

No local admin account?

it claims to be disable but i dont remember doing that.

the whole thing is very strange, it just stopped working for no good reason and ive tried everything and nothing.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I ended up just reinstalling windows but I appreciate it. That Password recovery cd/usb looks neat. Thanks.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Quick question: What do you guys recommend for a software solution to blocking all (or most) internet access on a certain PC? I need to stop employees from browsing the internet on a certain computer, but I still need network access and the ability to sync a dropbox (aka it still needs connectivity).

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
This might be a bit too complicated but: Does anyone know how to integrate a command like program (mp3splt in my case) into a regular command line command?

What I mean is, as it stands, I have to open cmd.exe, cd into c:\program files (x86)\mp3splt, which now means im operating in that directory

THEN I can type mp3splt [OPTIONS] ect ect

I'd rather be able to run mp3splt anywhere, regardless of what directory I am currently in in command line, just like you would MOVE or COPY

I know this is possible because I installed another command line program, PDF tooklit, which you can operate anywhere just typing PDFTK as a command.

Any idea how this is done?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
thanks guys!

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I've asked something similar but I cant seem to get the right solution.

I need an ftp client (or anything else) than can monitor a remote ftp folder and automatically download anything NEW. As in, I dont want it to SYNC everything, I dont want it to download stuff which is not in the local destination folder, I dont want it to upload anything thats not in the remote folder. Even the FTP clients that have one way backing up still will download everything that cant be found in the local destination folder.

On top of wanting it only to download new stuff, Id like to start using it by telling it everything that is currently on the remote server and mark it as "already downloaded" since ive done it all manually.

CuteFTP has sync options but like I said, it'll end up re-downloading anything I move out of the destination folder, plus its going to start off by downloading everything.

Any ideas?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Quick question:

I know about the process of Slipstreaming a Win7 image so that you can install it with all you drives and updates right out of the gate. The program RT Seven Lite also allows all kinds of tweaks and stuff to slim down the install.

My questions is, how do I integrate my drivers when they're all in installable EXe format ant not just a bunch of .inf's? Most of the drivers provided by my OEM are in this executable format, and I'm at a a loss as to how to incorporate them into the slipstream.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

A lot of the time the .EXEs are just self extracting zips, so you can just open the file up with WinZip and get the driver out of it. Or most manufacturers will allow you to download just the driver file from their site.

Absent this (many display and sound drivers are huge software packages) what could I do?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Is there a program/method to converting an already-installed program (for which you've long gone lost the CD or setup.exe) into an installer package (with all the relevant registry entries and dlls or whatever)? So it can be re-installed somewhere else or on the same computer after reformatting?

Is this even possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
What's a good way/program to record when the computer randomly reboots? I have a computer rebooting for seemingly no reason and was wondering how I could diagnose the gremlins.