Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
Question: I registered with Microsoft for access to a product key for the release candidate. I upgraded from x86 vista home premium to x86 7 home premium, but the key doesn't work. I checked, and I installed the RTM version instead of the release candidate. I thought these were the same actual version, but I guess I was wrong about that. Am I now completely screwed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

Shadowgate posted:

I think you are pretty confused... RTM is not a release candidate. RTM is the final version so it will need a different product key purchased in a retail box. The key you have is for RC so you will need to reinstall RC over your current install.

I'm definitely confused. I just realized that if I type in nothing at the request screen for the product key, it will let me go through for the time being. That's all I needed to see -- I'll just reinstall with the RC in the morning. Thanks!

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
Is it possible to de-link a product key from a Windows 7 install?

Example: If I buy a Windows 7 32-bit product key, but later decide I want to upgrade that computer to Windows 7 64-bit, can I buy a new 64 bit Windows 7 key, install 64 bit Win 7, and then use my old 32 bit win 7 key to activate the 32 bit version on a different computer?