Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
Sorry if this has already been covered, but I've only read the past five or so pages of this.

I'm having some terrible microphone issues in Left 4 Dead since I installed Windows 7 Pro. I disabled the setting where it mutes all other sounds by 50%, but now whenever I talk in game people complain that it sounds like I'm talking under water. I'm pretty sure others have had this problem before. Anyway, I'm running the latest Sound Audigy 2 ZS drivers, but I also used them when I had XP Pro, and my mic sounded fine.

I also tried re-calibrating through Sound settings but no dice. I don't know what the gently caress is going on really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
It sounds like that in ingame microphone test (choppy / underwater noises), but whenever I did the test ingame in CS: Source it was completely fine. I have no idea why.

Everyone said I sounded normal in CS: Source as well...

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
So every time windows loads up, Easy Tune 6 boots because it's a good overclock software. Anyway, loving windows security warning comes up every time telling me that it's messing with my computer.

Is there a way to disable this warning for ET6 alone? I don't necessarily want to lower my security level, just make it ignore ET6. Along with other programs which I frequently use..

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Factor Mystic posted:

I'm going to assume that by "windows security warning" you mean UAC Elevation Prompt. There is a difference. If I am right, stop it from starting itself when you log in (Startup tab of System Configuration), and create a new task in Task Scheduler that starts it with elevated permissions when you log in.

Ok, now how do I do the same for other programs? Winamp, etc?

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
If I have the x64 version of Win 7, why does my graphics card say it's running at 32 bit?

(image removed)

edit: ugh nevermind I'm retarded

edit 2: vvvv Erase traces of my stupidity!

Johnny B. Goode fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 23, 2009

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
I thought I read somewhere that Internet Explorer wouldn't be included with Win 7 due to some kind of monopoly on the market share? Or at least it would prompt you to check out alternatives?

This didn't happen at all for me.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
Umm. For some reason one of my harddrives is now telling me that it is write-protected, but I was able to save to it mere days ago. I tried changing the permissions to allow full control, but it gives me the same warning.

Is this thing going bad, or did Windows 7 do something?

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

dorkanoid posted:

Let me guess, Gigabyte MB running RAID?

Try this procedure: http://www.lejordet.com/2009/05/raid1-write-protected-64bit-windows/

Well, it's not running RAID, it's just IDE, but this fixed it anyway.

Thanks!

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Where da strippers at

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
Holy poo poo. Windows automatically defrags your hard drives weekly from a fresh install. You don't have to mess with any settings or anything.

Going from XP to 7 freaking rocks.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

4 Day Weekend posted:

The 'Play To' function works fine? Mind if I ask what kind of mkv you played? All the ones I've tried are pretty big (blu ray rips), so that might have something to do with it.

This. WMP12 uses the Windows default codecs that come with Win 7, which are pretty terrible, even if you install your own codecs. So far, I haven't figured out how to turn them off, and I can't find anywhere that explains it either.

You'll definitely want CoreAVC if you're running anything less than a decent dual core. Other than that, I use CCP's MPC Harmonica to play 720p or 1080p x264 files. It works very well.

After installing CCP you'll want to uncheck H.264 under ffdshow, though. Unless you have a great processor who can handle it. CoreAVC will take over when you uncheck it.

Johnny B. Goode fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 25, 2009

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

aksuur posted:

Anyone having problems with video? I tried installing CCCP but it didn't help.

I just switched from XP and now my fullscreen videos have an increased amount of pixelation, especially around edges of objects/people. Any ideas? It isn't the video quality, this happens on a 720p vid as well.

Edit - These issues appear in VLC and MPC.

Same thing happened with me until I installed CCCP and CoreAVC. It's probably using the Windows default codecs, which are terrible. Go into settings and make sure CoreAVC is an "external codec" and ffdshow does the audio.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Biodome posted:

I have an old computer with an AMD Athlon (:suicide:) X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.20 GHz on it. Anyone know if this is powerful enough to view 1080p video?

I use CoreAVC and MPC-HC/CCCP and can play 1080p with no stuttering, but sometimes the video will kind of lag and look choppy but not actually stutter or whatever. Think that may be because of my TV's automotion 240hz stuff though. But I want to know if it may be my processor chopping it up.

In addition to what others said, it could be your network if you're streaming to your television. Yes, CoreAVC makes it where you can view 1080p on shittier processors, but streaming them is a whole separate bag. If you are streaming and the video is laggish, or of the audio/video goes out of sync, you might want to drop the bitrate down a bit and change it from 5.1 audio to stereo.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
WMP is such a fine piece of software yes

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
The good thing about not using Vista is going from XP to Win 7 is just so drat exciting!

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
Alright, my harddrive did that thing again where it's read only, but I did the same procedure through cmd.exe listed here, which fixed it.

Why does this keep happening? This harddisk isn't raid, it's pretty old, and it's an IDE. I'm about to replace the goddamn thing anyway, but I wish I knew why this was happening.

Maybe it's when Win 7 auto-defrags? The other SATA drives are fine, but this one is causing me trouble.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
I will never understand the OS bickery.

Is it like penis sizes? Everyone is insecure about it so they act like theirs are huge?

I had a macfag for a roommate freshman year. He went on and on about how Apple was overtaking Microsoft when Vista was released and "no one uses it because it has critical failures and they're rushing to patch it only it won't help their problems. OSX never has this problem" blah blah blah

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

GreenNight posted:

Firefox with Aero? Pfft they need to move their asses on an x64 version that isn't a pile of poo poo.

Wait they already have a x64 version?

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
You guys keep talking about having goddamn Windows parties, and I know you get a free copy and all, but is this just basically everyone trying to scam the system to get a free copy?

In other words, are any of you actually hosting a party? And how would Microsoft know if you didn't?

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
So other than the appropriate Microsoft page, where can I get some sweet themes?

Right now I'm just using Aero basic -- actually just changed to it from the default and it's growing on me.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
For the noobs who are rushing in due to the release today, read the FAQ first for Christ sake.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Cuddly Coach posted:

I have a Nintendo 64, can I use the upgrade key on that?

:q:

Install Win 7 on Dreamcast and I'll buy you a gift cert

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

LorneReams posted:

That's what I get for not asking here first LOL. I really just wanted to watch mkv on Xbox, and it was hard filtering through the "Use MPC noob" comments.

I suggest you google PS3MediaServer

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

LorneReams posted:

I used to use that, but after I got 7, the media center is so pretty.

Then have fun with your 2 channel stereo noob!

Casao posted:

Googling around, I can't find any mention of it working on the 360? Got a link with details, cause I'd be interested in this.

It works with the 360. It's a great program.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

LorneReams posted:

PS3 media center absolutly works, I used it for a long time. My only problem is that 1080p rips tend to cause stuttering like 10-20 minutes in.

You've just to go overclock your balls off to compensate.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
Watching the news today has been a headache.

"Microsoft is hoping this will redeem their reputation after the failed Windows Vista."

Vista wasn't a failure! It was a good OS goddamnit.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
Well some of us went from 95 -> 98 -> loving MILLENNIUM EDITION -> XP so we were overjoyed with what we got.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Ikrizzle posted:

So if I wanted to install it on my 32-bit computer now, I would run into trouble whenever I upgraded to a 64-bit processor, whether on this machine or a whole new one, right?

No, you just wouldn't be seeing the purty desktop like you get with x64

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
If Vista was as bad as everyone who didn't use it claimed it was, then it would have ripped a hole in the universe and all of the bad opinions would have been sucked in.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Footboy posted:

I had some issues with my Creative X-Fi sound card last night, and after several failed attempts at finding drivers, the solution the following morning was "didn't I buy a motherboard with onboard sound?"

I'm waiting to move the front-panel audio connectors to the motherboard just in case Creative gets their heads out of their asses, but I've already discovered that Windows 7 lets you route Line-In audio from one device to Line-Out on another device, which I've never been able to do before. Now I'm using USB Headphones to listen to Halo 3.

I've had major problems with my Audigy 2 ZS, which is a Creative product. They have Windows 7 drivers out except they suck dick. Also for some reason my on-board sound isn't working, so I'm just going to go down to Target and get a new sound card soon.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
Is anyone else getting some really lovely performance with VLC Media player? I know it uses its native codecs and all that, but regardless of what I play, every edge looks rough and the detail is horrible. It looks like I'm watching an 80s television set where you can see all of the vertical lines.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahhahahahahahha

EDIT: Does ninite let you choose what drive or folders it installs everything to? I keep Windows+drivers on a seperate partition from apps

Ok, I fixed my problems with the Audigy 2, and the X-series can be solved the same way -- use the Daniel_K drivers.

I used his SB Support Pack 2.5

Also set the playback quality to Studio Quality

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

John4767 posted:

drat, I have been running the Retail version of Windows 7 Ultimate from MSDN since around Augast, and Its been pretty awesome. I never really had any problems with vista on my desktop, but I know Windows 7 seems to run allot faster. No complaints from me really at all. Just glad Windows 7 wasn't crap like Vista kinda was. Seems like all anyone did for that launch is complain.

It wasn't crap though. Most of the people complaining never used it.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Casao posted:

Built into Windows 7. It'll harass you about setting up a backup in the system tray, just go with it.

What exactly is this about? How big of a storage device do you need to backup? I'm assuming it's just talking about system files and not anything on an slave drive?

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Casao posted:

Are you kidding me? Post has absolutely nothing to do with Windows 7, that's your BIOS.

Arrrg! WINDOWS! My drivers aren't working with Vista what the gently caress Microsoft you fail me again. Goddamnit. Now i'm going to go spread the word that your OS sucks!

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
I got a new netbook, and it came with loving Home Premium :argh:

If I install the copy of Pro I have on it, can I use the Home Premium key? Or can I use the key that I have on my desktop twice?

Yea, can't you use a key three times? XP was like that...

Johnny B. Goode fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 13, 2010

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Xenomorph posted:

Sure, XP was like that, if you're a PIRATE.

:pirate:

But weren't people in this very thread calling Microsoft and saying that their key was being used again and it wasn't working, somehow getting the same key to work on two different machines simultaneously?

I swear I either remember that or dreamed it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
Ok, so I have a problem.

I bought a netbook a few days ago, and it came with a stock 310GB hdd. It came with a Win 7 Home Premium x86 installed. I loaded it up, put in the serial on the bottom of the laptop, and I checked to see if there was a recovery disk on the hard disk that I could use for the SSD that I purchased to replace the current drive. There was none.

So I used a Win 7 Home Premium x64 copy that I had gotten off of MSDNAA way back when when I installed the SSD. Yes it's x64, but that shouldn't matter at all, right? Anyway, when I went to put in the serial to make it genuine, the serial had already been entered onto the other drive the first time I booted it up.

loving d'oh

So now I only have one day left on this thing. How do I get the serial replaced? If I call Microsoft support, will they wipe it for me and allow me to use it a second time?