Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Quick question from a mac user.

Short Version:

-I have two Macs, one running Tiger and one running Snow Leopard.
-I want to run a Windows 7 Professional upgrade installer on each, through Parallels. I have XP if I have to install it as an in-between.
-Is there anything else I need to be aware of before I do this? Will it work?

Long Version:

Is it possible to install the downloadable Windows 7 Professional upgrade under Parallels for Mac? I do not care about having to reinstall programs or settings, since I'd be starting fresh on two machines.

Do I *have* to have a previous installation of XP to upgrade?

The method I've seen everyone suggest is to run the installer in parallels, install as a trial, then run it again as an upgrade. Apparently it will lock up parallels for hours and reboot several times, but then it will take your key and you'll be set.

Anyone care to confirm or deny this? My school is selling dirt cheap copies of Win7, but even at ~60 a pop, I'd like to make sure this isn't going to bite me in the rear end since I'm an Apple user.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Just got a Macbook Pro in and realized I can't install XP in bootcamp because it's version SP1, and the disc has to have SP2 or better, so upgrading to windows 7 via my student discount from in the OS is out.

I read a post somewhere that says that when you run the upgrade, it will ask you for your valid XP key during setup, and you don't actually have to install twice. Can someone confirm or deny this? If all I need is the Win 7 upgrade disc and my valid XP key to make this work, I'll order. If not, it's back to the drawing board...