Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary
May 21, 2004
What's the consensus on the best firewall and virus scanner for Windows 7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary
May 21, 2004
So I'll just use the built in firewall and download MSE? I'm coming from XP, which was not known for having the best built in security, I take it that Microsoft has improved since then?

Binary
May 21, 2004

Zorilla posted:

Even with XP, the best choices were Microsoft Security Essentials and the built-in firewall. As of XP Service Pack 2, the built-in firewall worked pretty much the same as it does in Windows 7 with the exception of network location support.

Ah ok, guess I was behind the times a bit. Glad to see this will be easy then with Windows 7.

Binary
May 21, 2004
Just installed a new copy of Windows 7 Home pro on a new PC. I've installed the latest video card drivers (HD 4890) and the text still looks blurry and the refresh rate seems to be bothering me. For whatever reason it lists the refresh rate as 59HZ, if I set it to 60 it's back at 59 when I check again, where in the world does this number come from? The desktop graphics right now look like I've gone to a previous version of Windows, not upgraded to the latest and greatest. Tested Fallout 3 and it seems to display fine, it's the desktop that's does not seem right.

Edit: the monitor is set to its native resolution as well.

Binary
May 21, 2004

Ryokurin posted:

If you just installed 7, and it didn't pick up your graphics card, then its going to default to non-aero, even if you immediately install a proper driver. You have to go into properties to choose the aero version of windows default. Some drivers will do this for you but ATI does not.

Yeah that was it, thanks. Whatever them it was on looked like crap.

New problem: I hooked up my LCD TV via the HDMI port on the video card. It'll play sound on it only if I unlug the main speakers. How can I get it to play on both simultaneously?
Also, how do I make the DVD image itself take up the whole screen? If I full screen the player the image is quite a bit smaller than the size of the screen.

Edit: I know this is nitpicky but it displays the top few pixels of the task bar when it is hidden. Is there a way to have it be completely hidden when it goes down?

Binary fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 5, 2009

Binary
May 21, 2004
What is going on with the USB access speeds in Win 7? I'm trying to copy less than a gig of data to a flash drive and the write speed keeps getting slower. It will take hours at this rate.

Binary
May 21, 2004
I'm trying to copy 2.5gb to a USB drive and the transfer speed falls until its too slow to be practical. I've updated the motherboard drivers and this flash drive worked with XP, what gives? Is it supposed to take an hour to copy 2.5 gigs?

Edit: I'm impatient, it ended up taking about 15 minutes. Guess the windows time remaining estimator is still broken.

Binary fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 19, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary
May 21, 2004
I know this is a simply question but I've yet to figure it out. When playing video files ( .avi or whatnot) on Windows 7, be it with the Windows media player or media player classic, the video does not scale to full screen on my main monitor, ie there's a large black border surrounding the video when I go to fullscreen. I can tell it could scale the horizontal aspect further but I can't figure out how to make it do so.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm impatient and couldn't wait five seconds before determining that it was the video source.

Binary fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 14, 2010