Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lacc
Jul 12, 2004

Install fist, problem solved.
I wonder if anyone had this happen:

WMP apparently decided those photos had audio in them, so now my music library looks like that and I have some extra WAV files lying around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacc
Jul 12, 2004

I hadn't noticed before but Excel doesn't play well with Aero Snap. If its window is maximized, you can't just drag it down to a normal window.

Xithyl posted:

Anyone else get a lot of random IRQL blue screens?

I posted about the same thing in the last thread. Seemed like a plain old boring driver issue.
If the BSOD names a specific filename in it, start looking into that.

Lacc
Jul 12, 2004

xamphear posted:

Which Excel? Works fine for me with Excel 2010.

Oops, 2007. I should probably jump on the 2010 bandwagon then.

Lacc
Jul 12, 2004

I did lots of things in weird old ways in previous OSes. I had that two-row taskbar too.
Deciding to forget everything and doing things the default way turned out to be a pretty good idea. I even use stuff I previously ignored, like the libraries, built-in backup and all kinds of explorer views. I guess what I'm saying is that Win 7 wouldn't be nearly as nice if I was still stuck in the past.

Also,

brc64 posted:

Easier than that, you can just middle-click an icon to open a new instance.

m2pt5 posted:

middle-clicking on an Aero Peek preview to close the window.
holy poo poo.

Lacc
Jul 12, 2004

Pilsner posted:

There's no context menu to Pin to Start Menu for a bat or cmd file.

Shift + right click

Lacc
Jul 12, 2004

Capnbigboobies posted:

I just noticed this the other day. I thought at first I had a virus or something. Anybody knows why MSE makes those folders?

Its definition updates probably work like most Windows updates which also liberally create those folders and occasionally forget to clean up.

To the guy asking about the drive they're created in, I'm pretty sure WU just uses the one with the most free space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacc
Jul 12, 2004

Essobie posted:

I used to create Ctrl + Alt + [some key] shortcuts to various folders on various hard drives and put them in a folder called "Desktop Shortcuts" placed in my start menu. What this allowed me to do (in XP anyway) was create hotkeys to folders that were not actually on my desktop but were accessible from anywhere. Things like Ctrl + Alt + D to open Windows Explorer to my Downloads directory.

You can pin folders to the explorer icon in your taskbar. When you drag a folder there it gets added to a list that shows up when you right click on the icon.
So then it's right click + left click instead of Ctrl + Alt + something, but the idea is similar enough.

vvv Yeah, that's a pretty weird requirement.

Lacc fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 9, 2009