Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Well this is a goofy problem I've encountered. If I leave my computer alone for a few hours and return it is in a psuedo locked up state. I can move the mouse around but nothing actually works. The autohidden taskbar won't come down or alt+ctrl+del won't pop up the relevant screens. This didn't occur during the Beta so I have no idea what the hell is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone know how to remove a service, or if that isn't possible, how to change the target of the Service? I deleted a game and installed it via Steam and the service that allows DLC to be activated still wants it to start from the old directory.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ConanThe3rd posted:

Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services

Find the service, right click and select "Properties" click on the drop down menu "Start-up type" and select what you want (Which, if I've read your post right, should be "Disabled")

I want it removed so I can reinstall it properly. The service is needed to activate DLC but the service cannot activate at all since the file it wants isn't in existence.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ConanThe3rd posted:

The only thing I could think of then is to back up your steam games, uninstall steam, reinstall Steam and restore your Steam Games.

Just for reference later on. To delete services you have to go into the command prompt and type "SC Delete (service name here)"

There is a slew of other options but I just wanted it deleted for the time being.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
:( Now I need to install a service. The one that I deleted does not reinstall with Steam downloads. I've been told "installutil.exe" in command prompt is the method to do it but it doesn't do anything but pop up

'installutil.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Was this removed in Windows 7?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I've encountered a problem. With Windows 8 I cannot get Itunes to start. Even with Windows 7 it wasn't solving my problem anyway so I'm not particularly fussed. However, I still need to do a first time initialize on my Ipod Classic. My Ipod Classic decided to at random lose everything on it; I was able to rip the entire harddrive without qualms so no worries on writing new content over the lost stuff.

Is there any free software alternatives to Itunes for the purpose of the initial sequence? I use Winamp to put music onto the Ipod but that isn't capable of doing the first time poo poo.

Edit: Holy poo poo using Songbird or mlipod with Winamp actually locks the loving programs up the second they start interacting with the Ipod. I was hoping this was a problem with my Win7 install that was slowing down.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone able to recommend a reputable means of mounting NFS shares on Windows? I'm using uh Premium or Professional, whatever the cheapest one was so installing the service provided by Microsoft isn't an option.

Googling brought this up http://code.google.com/p/nekodrive/ but I'd like to know if there is a better solution than that.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 19, 2014