Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casual Racist
Aug 5, 2004

Repeat after me: I am not a pleasure unit.

Baggins posted:

Odd one for me too.

Just installed the x64 Ultimate RC (Yay MSDN account) and my SoundMAX onboard sound only outputs through the front panel jack. This is the same after installing the Vista x64 driver from ASUS.

I've googled aroud a bit, but all I can find is some sketchy password protected RARs, and I don't know about them.

The board is an M2N-SLI Deluxe.
I have a similar board the M2N-E and the default windows 7 drivers work perfectly, I installed the Asus SoundMax drivers and it disabled my S/PDIF output, so
I went back to the default windows ones. If you want to try some different drivers have a look here: ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/

There are several different versions of the drivers there, and some not listed on the ASUS site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Racist
Aug 5, 2004

Baggins posted:

That's the funny thing. I tried with the default Win7 drivers and they seem to be working fine, but it won't detect I plug anything in either at the back or front. S/PDIF is chosen as default and I can't even select any of the others.

I'll try with another driver to see.

EDIT: No dice. I've tried a few other drivers from that FTP site and still the same. At least with those drivers I get sound through the front jack. The Microsoft drivers aren't giving me anything.

Humm, this is what my sound properties look like

If I want to use my headphones that are connected to my analog out, I have to select the "Speakers" and set them as default to get sound out of them. I don't think it has ever notified me when I plugged anything into the onboard sound, that only seemed to happen when I used the SoundMax drivers.

Casual Racist
Aug 5, 2004

Baggins posted:

Yeah, but when they're showing up as "Not Plugged In" you can't even set it as default. With that setup, try it with your HDMI output now without plugging it in.

I see what you are saying, I unplugged my headphones from the back analog port and it showed up with the red arrow saying not plugged in, but it seems like it detected it fine when I plugged it back in. I'm not sure what your problem could be... maybe some leftover drivers from SoundMax?

Here are the drivers windows seems to be using for my audio: