Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

Ineffiable posted:

So, with XP virtualization, is it possible to install drivers for a device that would only work in 32 bit mode, e.g. a device that worked on XP and Vista 32 bit, but not 64 bit. For those curious, it is an Gamebridge.

I could also run my old games that may not have worked in Vista but did under XP, provided those games did not need registry entries? I know there's a lot about XP virtualization for programs, but I was just curious if anyone's tried it for games.

I haven't tried this on my Vista 64 bit machine, but that's because for a while, it's my only machine and I want to be able to do a simple upgrade to Win7.
Re-read what the OP has to say about XP Mode to learn why none of this will ultimately work, or even if you coaxed it to, the results wouldn't be acceptable at all. In short, "XP Mode" isn't going to be able to throw high-bandwidth video around as if it were running native. It's an OS running within an OS, which means its going to run like complete poo poo, and it's not going to be able to hook directly into all the features your hardware has to provide.

First, find a way to get rid of the Gamebridge. If you're only playing games on your monitor with it, just buy a new monitor that has the video inputs you need (this will give you the best picture for play). If you intend to capture video through the Gamebridge, you should replace it with a proper capture device that has a 64bit driver. Seriously, the Gamebridge is a piece of poo poo, and just going to anything else will give you a very noticeable bump in image quality.

Second, to get your old games running, what you're probably looking for is Compatibility Mode (which has been in Windows since Windows XP). Right-click on an executable (or a shortcut to your desired executable), select Properties, click the Compatibility tab, check the box and select the OS you want Windows to appear as to that program. That is, if it is even necessary. I haven't found many XP games that required any special conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

Roguestar posted:

..select the desired hard disk and instead of pressing the big install button in the bottom right, click 'Drive Options (Advanced)' underneath the drive listing. A number of new options will appear, just choose Format (go for NTFS if asked)..
Better yet, just delete the partition, select the empty space and click "Next". Windows Setup will know to create the necessary partitions and format as NTFS. By doing this, Setup will create a separate 200MB 'system' partition that is required for BitLocker.

EDIT: 200MB, not 200GB. Sorry.

CUNT AND PASTE fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 12, 2009

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

I'm looking for tolerable IM software that isn't Digsby or Pidgin or whatever that web-based thing is.

Preferably something with support for Facebook and IRC.

Don't recommend Miranda unless you've got some kind of guide I can follow on how to set it up relatively quickly. I don't mind investing the time if the result works well, but I don't have the time to install, configure and decide if I like a zillion plugins.