Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
Ok I've read the beginning and end of this thread and Google'd it but I can't find out if I can upgrade my OEM Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit to Windows 7 Professional 32-bit without having to do a clean install.

The Upgrade Advisor and some Googling suggest that I will have to do a clean install while the OP and a couple of posts in this thread suggest I will be able to do an upgrade instead.

So what's the truth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
Ok well my school only gives me Windows 7 Professional for free so I guess I'm not upgrading until I get another hard drive.

Unless, is it possible for me to upgrade Vista Home Premium to Vista Business THEN to Windows 7 Pro without doing a clean install along the way?

EDIT: Or is it possible to upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium and then upgrade to Windows 7 Professional if I only have a Windows 7 Pro Key?

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

Zonekeeper posted:

Just clean install if you have the space on your hard drive. All your old stuff will get moved to a Windows.old folder as long as you don't format your drive during installation. Of course, it's ALWAYS a good idea to back up your data before doing anything like this. Whether you wait for another hard drive or not is your call.

Well not being able to back up my data was only half of my concern, the other half was that I would have to reinstall all my poo poo.

EDIT: So if I installed Windows 7 Professional right now from current Vista Home Premium it doesn't actually delete any of my files or folders? Just the OS-related ones?

StickFigs fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 29, 2009

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
Is there any way to make it so if I open a browser window, a text file, then start a new browser window then the two browser windows on the taskbar will be separated by the text file? I don't like how windows of similar apps get grouped next to each other I like them to appear left to right in the order they were opened.

Googling this results in mostly hits about the grouping with the new icon thing which I already turned off, or have a solution that required me to run a program in the background at all times (I don't like that idea).

EDIT: Also, is there a way to make notification bar icons act like they did in Vista? Like it used to be so they would all show up on the main bar by default but now it's like the inverse.

StickFigs fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 30, 2009

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

StickFigs posted:

Is there any way to make it so if I open a browser window, a text file, then start a new browser window then the two browser windows on the taskbar will be separated by the text file? I don't like how windows of similar apps get grouped next to each other I like them to appear left to right in the order they were opened.

Googling this results in mostly hits about the grouping with the new icon thing which I already turned off, or have a solution that required me to run a program in the background at all times (I don't like that idea).

EDIT: Also, is there a way to make notification bar icons act like they did in Vista? Like it used to be so they would all show up on the main bar by default but now it's like the inverse.

Still no luck with either of these.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

Tivac posted:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Notification Area Icons

Checkbox for "Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar"

Does that do what you want for the notification area? I think with the new taskbar you are out of luck, sorry.

That's not really what I wanted, I more want it so instead of being hidden by default they are visible by default and instead I would individually select the ones I want hidden, right now it's the other way around.

As for the taskbar, I still think there might be a way out there to stop the auto-similar program grouping because there's this app that let me do it but it has to be open at all times which sucks. I'm thinking maybe it's a registry edit or something?

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
I really like the Windows 7 Sticky Notes, but I just wish that it wasn't a separate app but instead just a desktop gadget because I hate having the Sticky Note icon in my taskbar at all times.

Does anyone know if some really cool person ported the Sticky Notes to function as a desktop gadget yet?

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
I recently upgraded my RAM to 4GB and in order to take advantage of it I need to upgrade from 32-bit Windows 7 to 64-bit.

I know that I have to re-install Windows 7 to do it, and then reinstall all my software. I was wondering if there was a program or SOMETHING to make this process less painful.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

stubblyhead posted:

Windows Easy Transfer will get all your documents and user settings over for you pretty easily too. And I'm sure it goes without saying, but you do have a 64 bit processor, right?

Yes I do. So Windows Easy Transfer, what is the extent of what it copies over? Just files or also installed software and registry entries/etc.? And will it work for 32-bit to 64-bit?

This is nice, especially if Windows Easy Transfer doesn't do what I want it to.

StickFigs fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 24, 2012

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

stubblyhead posted:

It's just documents and settings; you'll have to get the applications re-installed separately. IIRC it does make a list of what's installed to simplify that somewhat, though ninite will definitely help. This article is focused around using it to upgrade from XP to 7, but you can use it going from one 7 installation to another just as easily. It's on the installation DVD--support\migwiz\migsetup.exe.

Will I need a big enough external HDD in order to do this or is that only for moving it to a new disk?

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

stubblyhead posted:

There's a few ways to do it; are you going to be re-using your hard drive for the new system, or is it going to be a new system from top to bottom? If you're going to re-use the drive, then yeah you'll need some form of external storage to hold stuff temporarily. If you run it now and choose the bottom option (external/USB storage), it'll scan through your stuff and tell you how much space is needed. You can tweak what's included too, so if you don't want to copy over your Naruto slashfic collection, you can leave that out.

If you will be using a new hard drive, then you can still use that option; just use your current HD as the destination--it doesn't actually force you to use external storage. Plug it in your new machine for the loading and you should be golden.

I'm not moving to a new pc I'm switching this one from 32-bit to 64-bit windows. It's just one hard drive.

Won't my files still be on the disk if I install 64-bit windows?

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

stubblyhead posted:

Just confirmed this, folders will persist between installations. It won't remember what folders were included in any of your libraries, but the folders themselves should still be there. Regardless, the wisest course of action would still be to make a backup of your data first.

Cool, that's just what I was hoping to hear. If I have files under Users/<Name>/... will those become unreadable when I move to 64-bit? Because I would technically have to create a new user on the new install, but I also think it might just work since I am going to use the same name and password.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

kapinga posted:

If you have files using NTFS encryption, make drat sure that you've backed up the key and/or unencrypt them before doing the reinstall.

Everything else you can fix later, but if you don't do this it could be painful to impossible to recover.

Okay what kind of stuff is NTFS encrypted?

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

stubblyhead posted:

This is true. We talked about this some earlier actually. Importing after you re-install has the added benefit of putting it all back where it was before. And I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but seriously. poo poo happens sometimes, so back up your stuff first.

Ughhhhhhh... *drags feet*

I guess I'll buy an external HDD

*sigh*

Joking aside, thanks for all the help. I think I got it from here.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
Any good software out there for website crawling/ripping? I'd like to be able to give a list of URLs and have the software download files that match a custom filter (like only .txt files or only ones with "document" in the name, etc.)

I used to use Internet Download Manager for it but it's sort of sketchy and tries to install plugins into all my browsers and other undesireable poo poo.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
I just updated uTorrent and now it has gross un-hideable ad crap. What's the hot, new, bullshit-free torrent client these days?

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
Are there any alternatives to Windows' built-in Remote Desktop service that are free/cheap for non-commercial use? I really like Remote Desktop as it is using it with my Windows 7 netbook to remote into my Windows 7 desktop but unfortunately I recently switched ISPs and the new router they gave me shits its pants when I use Remote Desktop on my home network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

Armourking posted:

RDP is still top dog going Windows to Windows, but you could use VNC, Splashtop or any number of other ones. Are you connecting in from outside the network, or just internally? Because the router making GBS threads bricks over RDP is either a firewall issue, or it's broken respectively.

I figured this would be the case. I'd rather stick with RDP if I can.

As for the router issue it's two problems. In some cases the host pc will BSOD when I'm using it through RDP and then the other, more frequent issue is that I will randomly lose my connection for anywhere between 1 second and 2 mins. No combination of RDP settings has fixed it either. My Google searches all point towards it being a router issue being caused by high data transfer rates which normally wouldnt be a problem but the ISP routers tend to be poo poo.

Tesseraction posted:

I use RealVNC at home and at work and rather like it. It's $30 for a desktop and works rather excellently for me.

I will check this and LogMeIn out, thanks for the recommendations all.

EDIT: I want to remote via my home wifi network, I thought LogMeIn and maybe some of these other recommendations work via the internet? Is this true?

StickFigs fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 23, 2013