Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars
I'm loving Windows 7 so far but hardware support is irritating me. I have two nice sound cards at my disposal, an X-Fi XtremeGamer and a Chaintech AV-710 and both of them are buggy and crashy, halving frame rates in games with their huge CPU usage. I'll give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt with the X-Fi seeing I'm using an nForce4 chipset which is known to have issues with it, but there's no reason for the Chaintech card to not work. Neither the Windows Update drivers or the latest Via Vinyl Vista-64 drivers are much good. I'm going to have to stick a lovely old CMedia card in there next and if that doesn't work I loving give up. I refuse to use motherboard sound.

Both of these cards work fabulously in Linux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars

Vyse posted:

I've been using 7 as my sole OS for a while now, and decided yesterday to install XP as a dual boot option, but I'm getting an odd issue. After installing XP it's the only recognized OS, and to get 7 available again I had to use the install dvd for it and have it repair. After the repair 7 is now the only recognized OS, I've never really played around with dual booting before, and I'm having a hard time finding any info about this issue on google, am I missing something really basic?

I'm guessing the repair install simply reloads the default bootloader, which doesn't include entries for any other operating systems. You'd need to do a full reinstall of Windows 7 after installing XP for it to detect it and add it to the boot menu.

It's not that big a deal, you don't have to format or anything. Just back up your user directory and settings first.

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars

Stuntman Mike posted:

:suicide:

This fuckin bug has been around since fuckin MS-DOS 1.1!! Can you believe they still haven't fixed it?!

I ended up giving up on Windows 7 on my current PC (A64 3200+, nforce4, 2GB, 8800GT). Something to do with that configuration just meant absolutely ratshit performance in games with any kind of sound enabled (50% or less than what I get in XP). I tried four different sound cards too. It's a shame, because I really liked it. Guess I'll give it a go whenever I upgrade to something more modern.

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars

Thermopyle posted:

I wrote this hot-key audio device switcher because the multiple clicks to switch audio devices irritated me.

Unfortunately, something changed between the RC and RTM which broke it. I'm working on a rewrite/fix now. I hope to have it done by sometime next week.

Oh man I can't wait for you to update this. This will be so incredibly helpful.

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars

Irondude posted:

Quick question: has there been a lot of updates released for the final RTM build Windows 7? My updates has been dry as of late, don't know if I'm supposed to have any yet or?

You'll get a big pile of em on Patch Tuesday.