Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I know this is a stupid question but is it possible to dual-boot the 32-bit and 64-bit versions on the same hard drive but on different partitions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I'm just talking about the RC for now. I'll go ahead and try it on my laptop and hope nothing breaks.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I'm running the Windows 7 64-bit RC on my Gaming Desktop(C2D E8400 w/4GB RAM) and the 32-bit flavor on my budget laptop (Pentium T2370 w/2GB RAM) and I'm not sure what version of Win7 I should get for both systems. Should I get Home Premium Retail or Professional Retail or get one OEM version for each system? Can you still put the retail version on multiple systems like you could with XP Retail? I'm just trying to get my bang for my buck here for Windows 7. My laptop does have a OEM Vista Home Premium sticker and I've just been using the Win7 RC to run my desktop.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

fishmech posted:

You can't put XP retail on multiple systems at once, it's expressly forbidden.

I thought you could but I've only worked with OEM and corporate so maybe I'm thinking of corporate(or is it called enterprise?) and if that's the case then nevermind. What about one of those "Family Packs" of Home Premium they're planning to sell, or are those upgrade only? Maybe I'll just get upgrade for my laptop and full retail for my desktop if the family pack is upgrade only.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Another question, if I get Home Premium Retail for my desktop that has Intel VT (C2D E8400) could I use VMWare to install XP using a legit key so I don't have to shell out another 100 bucks to use it on Professional or is that considered Piracy?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I most likely won't be able to get Windows 7 on launch day because of my stupid budget(loving kitchen repairs). Will the RC tide me over for another month or so afterward until I get the funds for it? I use my system mainly for gaming and internet if that makes any difference. And will Home Premium 64-bit suffice or do I have to shell out another 100 bucks for Professional?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

kapinga posted:

The RC will work until next Feb or March, so using it now for another month or two will be just fine. I wouldn't go through the hassle of installing the RC now though unless you don't have anything else on it already it.

The main features that make Pro useful are domain connection, acting as a remote desktop server, and having XP mode. If you don't need any of these, then Home Premium will probably do you good.

I've been running it since it's release. I'm just worried my games will stop working because driver support might halt on the release candidate because it's a different build. I probably won't get the money together for it until after November or even December so I hope new driver releases still work with the RC.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Is there any way to get a discount on retail home premium 64-bit if you're not a student? If not, I'm going to have to run the RC until December and in that case will driver updates for games still work on the RC?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Can you purchase home premium retail as a downloadable iso and they email you the product key? I thought I read that somewhere but I'm not sure. I checked Microsoft's website and I'm only seeing the upgrade editions, not retail.

edit: I'm an idiot the full version is retail right? I have the option between upgrade and full version for download.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Nov 7, 2009

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I want to get Home Premium Full retail and Amazon is selling it for $180 with free shipping. I tried finding a better deal but couldn't or did I not look hard enough? Also, how many times can you transfer a retail copy of Windows 7 from one computer to another?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I got Home Premium x64 on my desktop now but I'm still having the same problem as on the RC. If I auto-hide the taskbar and my computer idles for more that 10 minutes or so, Windows freezes either for a few seconds or completely and I have to do a hard reboot. If I don't auto-hide the taskbar it doesn't have any problems. Is anyone else having this issue?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I don't know if this glitch as been mentioned, but my BenQ G2400WD monitor on my keeps locking in at a 59Hz refresh rate in Home Premium 64-bit. Is there a fix for this or is this normal?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Grawl posted:

It's normal. It doesn't round of to 60Hz, but it pretty much is running at that rate.

I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Which free ISO mounting utility works best with Win7? I googled and came up with PowerISO and Virtual Clone Drive. One of these or something else?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I upgraded my laptop which had Vista x86 to Win7 x86 but my laptop only supports a maximum of 2GB of RAM so there is no point to having 64-bit. But would getting a USB flash drive or a SD card and using ReadyBoost on it increase performance? I read online that it can boost performance significantly on laptops with slower hard drives and mine is a 5400RPM with 8MB cache and can be a little sluggish at times. Would a flash drive or SD card do the job or should I save my money towards a faster hard drive?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I have a retail copy of Win7 Home Premium x64 so how would I be able to get an legit ISO of the retail disc with SP1 already on it?

Edit: I don't have technet or MSDN though.:smith:

Edit 2: I'm upgrading my system this spring which means reinstalling Win7 so I would like to have a legal ISO of retail Win7 Home Premium x64 with SP1.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 19, 2011

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Does SP1 fix any major issues or boost performance in any way? If not, I'll just wait until it shows up on Windows Update on Wednesday.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I have a stupid question or maybe I'm just an inquisitive idiot but should I install the optional updates for Windows 7 listed in Windows Update or just the important ones? I ask this because I just re-installed Win7 to a shiny new SSD (Samsung 830 256GB) and after just installing the important updates the system does seem to bog down slightly during startup despite being on an SSD. I was going to run disk defag but then I remembered that's a big no-no on an SSD although I did run CCleaner(CrapCleaner) on it.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Optional stuff is obviously not desperately necessary, but in general you still want those updates unless the entire internet has exploded about it (and even then make sure it's not over something stupid).

The slowdown was probably doing post-update maintenance or building prefetch/superfetch. See if it doesn't go away after a boot or two. If it doesn't, and it doesn't affect you once you're up and running, well, taking a few seconds longer to boot is a manageable problem.

I just checked the idle RAM usage and noticed it was on the low side so out of curiosity I checked to see if superfetch was turned on and it was turned off so I turned it back on and set it to automatically start at startup. Why the hell was it turned off in the first place?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I'm really confused I currently have Win 7 Home Premium retail so what will the Windows 10 upgrade and activation bump me up to? Windows 10 Home retail or something else?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

computer parts posted:

Home Basic or Home Premium will update you to Win 10 Home. All the other consumer ones will update you to Pro.

e: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions#Free_upgrade

But will I be able to keep my retail license or will the upgrade bind the license to my four year old machine like an OEM install/upgrade?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I forgot to mention that I play games on this system so am I better off sticking with Windows 7 for now or go ahead and upgrade to Windows 10? And if I do upgrade should I do a clean install afterwards or will a upgrade install work without breaking stuff?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I'm trying to download and install security updates for Win7 and Windows Update is trying to download and Install Windows 10 even after setting that update to the hidden updates. Is there a way around this?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask about this but what's a good and free utility that displays CPU, GPU, RAM, and VRAM usage/temps on-screen while playing a game? My OS is Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Thanks for the replies. I completely forgot about Afterburner :doh: but I have a factory OC'd GTX1070 and reinstalled Windows since then so I haven't used or needed it for a while.