Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

syphon posted:

I know this program has even been discussed here in this thread, but I wanted to bump it to pimp it again.

Those of you who have used Expose on OSX will want to give Switcher a try (http://insentient.net/ - it says it's for Vista, but works great in Win7 for me). It's written by a MS employee (but not officially endorsed), and it's basically a rip-off of Expose.
OK, after 30 seconds I now know why people love expose. I still hate mac, but I understand their expose love.

beejay posted:

Cross posting from the iTunes thread:

Got an auto update to iTunes today and now it doesn't work correctly on the taskbar in Windows 7. If I open it and try to pin it to the taskbar, it makes another icon in the taskbar. Then every time I open it I have 2. No matter what I do, it has 2 icons down there while it's open if I have it pinned at all. It worked perfectly fine until this update. wtf.
gently caress apple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

kode54 posted:

If Firefox ever does that poo poo, I hope it's optional. I do not want 15 preview windows opening every time I hover over the icon in the taskbar.
totally agree. I use tabs because each is a separate subject, news, forums, misc browsing, whatever. I don't want my 30+ tabs [not] previewing when I try to switch between windows.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Cheesus posted:

Internet Explorer....Why is this?
I left the important parts in.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Swilo posted:

Set the Blank screen saver to happen 1 minute before powering off your monitor...
monitor_ES. When you want to walk away, hit win+l (lock) and walk away while the monitor goes to sleep. Never have to play with power settings again.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Jam2 posted:

How do I edit the iso to install Professional without paying for a magiciso or ultraiso license?
extract the files, delete the file, install via thumb drive.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Jam2 posted:

Did this. Thanks for the tip.

Aero Snap doesn't work on my dual monitor setup the way I would like. I can only snap windows to the extreme right and extreme left of my workspace. Attempts to snap windows to the right side of monitor 1 and left side of monitor 2 fail.
correct.
You can put the taskbar between the two screens and it'll snap on the inside of that monitor (aka, taskbar on the right side of the left screen, it'll snap on the left and right of the left screen, only the right of right screen). Thats how I have my duals setup. or, as above, use the keyboard.

AFAIK MS is working to fix this, but its not out yet.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Casao posted:

Vertical taskbar in between two monitors? You've done bad and you should FEEL bad.
And yet I love having it there. Fast to access.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Closest thing I can think of would be pinning a powershell shortcut to the taskbar with the directory selected in "start in" and "run as admin" selected.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

You'll have to get rid of the clock for that. As it is as wide as the clock.
Its hard to tell in my pic, but the clock isn't whats holding it back. With small icons and no click it only allowed a couple mm thinner. I think its the start orb causing the width.

Click here for the full 960x1199 image.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

brc64 posted:

Firefox 3.6 beta 1 (candidate) is now available and finally adds support for Windows 7 taskbar previews. Although half the time I'm just getting a blank "loading" preview for my tabs. Anyway, it's progress!

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/3.6b1-candidates/build1/
Is that selectable? Having it in there without an option would make me not upgrade. I LIKE having windows and not tabs for previews; I have a mouse button for ctrl-tab make between tabs easy enough and I usually have >15 tabs open between 3 windows.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Dominoes posted:

I highly recommend this program, the Jumplist Launcher. I suggest adding it to the OP. It allows you to create customizable taskbar-pinned menus using the built-in Windows 7 jumplist functionality. It's the answer to my question posted earlier about having a pinned games menu. It's a single executable.
wow. Awesome.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Can anybody with a dual monitor setup tell me if the taskbar stretches across both monitors in Windows 7? Every Google search shows speculation from before the launch itself, but no hardline answer.
Yes I can. No.

Click here for the full 1760x600 image.

(although I usually have it on the right side of the left hand screen (right up the middle, as I've said a few times.)

Drox posted:

I hate to break up copyright chat, but I'm a bit confused on a point of home networking with 7 and older computers. I have a computer running XP that has all my files that I want to keep. How do I just open up a folder on the win7 machine that the network can see so I can just dump everything in there? Homegroup doesn't seem to be what I want, since that's for 7 only... right?
I've turned off simple file sharing for every OS I've used for years. Its a pain to setup, but it works.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Blodskur posted:

That actually makes its notification area icon useless, doesn't it? I wish Steam and Spotify would just bugger off out of there.
Drag the icon to the hidden area for fun and profit! (actually I leave steam and impulse as 2 of the 6 icons I leave exposed, but you may choose to do otherwise)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

well $45 is still in the "very cheap" category for an OS. That said, for $110 you can get OEM home premium, which is about all most people need.

For $45, Id really recommend the upgrade, especially from vista basic.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

illcendiary posted:

It's not working. It prompts me to enter a new password, etc. I think I'm just going to bite the bullet, buy my $30 upgrade and start from scratch.
Put this into a location bar
Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings

and under "password protected sharing" flip it to "off". Make sure everyone has permissions under the share and security tabs for the folder you want to share.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ariza posted:

Does anyone know of a useful remote desktop solution I can use that will activate UAC prompts? I don't want to turn it off, but if I set winrar.exe to have administrative privileges, everytime I try to extract something remotely I get a UAC prompt that won't let me click yes or no over VNC (I tried UltraVNC and RealVNC). I used Remote Desktop with the RC but I installed the Home Premium so that's not an option anymore. This is my first time using VNC so I might be missing something stupid. RDP is fantastic so if nothing else I guess I'll be upgrading again.
win7 -> win7 (RC) RDP works fine for UAC prompts.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

redeyes posted:

So Windows 7 accepted a Windows Vista code??!! I gotta call BS on this.
lol.
He installed win7-HPx64 over win7-HPx86. Just a bit change, it was expected to work fine (which it did).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

incoherent posted:

Outlook is pretty fricken awesome. Threaded messages.
bah, HATE that it groups messages. When I try to open a message I want it to open, not scroll a list of similar messages.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

incoherent posted:

All of the applications take advantage of the GPU to offload rendering is another biggie.

The only thing I did not like was the fact there is a systray icon when it lives on the superbar.
What, the send-a-smile thing? You can kill that by deleting the shortcut in the start-menu startup folder.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

4 Day Weekend posted:

Regarding 2010, just tried installing this morning and the tech preview didn't want to uninstall. Something about the install missing a file or some such. I tried using the Windows Install Cleanup tool, which removed it (apparently) and at the end of installation it just says 'office has encountered a problem during installation'.
This is annoying me too. Especially since I have the tech preview installed in my system image I spent 2 days getting setup. Grrr.....

edit: gently caress I meant to copy/paste edit this into my last post. :(

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Bobulus posted:

Yeah, I suppose it is just firefox. But you'd think just closing the program would be enough if that was the issue.

And this didn't happen to me in the Win7 beta.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/13878
cleans it back to normal speed, without a reboot, just by clicking on the status bar icon.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

StickFigs posted:

That's not really what I wanted, I more want it so instead of being hidden by default they are visible by default and instead I would individually select the ones I want hidden, right now it's the other way around.

As for the taskbar, I still think there might be a way out there to stop the auto-similar program grouping because there's this app that let me do it but it has to be open at all times which sucks. I'm thinking maybe it's a registry edit or something?
Place mouse over offending hidden (click to show first) icon, click and hold mouse button. Drag icon to [not hidden] section of the taskbar. Release mouse button. Rejoice.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Slopehead posted:

Exactly what I am talking about. Very frustrating.
As above, you can tell it not to store the lists.
Do make sure you've pinned any items you DO want to stay in the jumplist before hitting apply, as it won't give you option when its deselected.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Yossarko posted:

I just had an idea.
Jumplist launcher or explorer jumplists (you can pin stuff, remember?)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

see the little glass spot on the far right of the taskbar? Click.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Landerig posted:

Okay I'm really curious to know how allowing print commands for files in the temp folder would open up security holes. The worst I can see is, maybe somehow hacking into the temp folder, or maybe a downloaded file trying to corrupt the printer? :confused:
Probably has more to do with they can't lock it down to *JUST* the print command. So allowing print also allows for opening in other programs, which may or may not be patched and/or exploitable.
(AKA, Adobe)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

c0burn posted:

You can also do it manually

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd535816.aspx
Thats the way I do it.
Takes 10 seconds. Since Vista I've done that with every thumbdrive I get.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

As long as the key is legit and you do have a previous version of windows to "upgrade" from, do option 2 here. No need to double install.
http://www.winsupersite.com/article/win7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media.aspx

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Thats not UAC, its windows not recognizing where the file is from.
I think theres an option in the *.lnk files' properties box to fix that.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

tk posted:

My guess is that won't work.

It would work for a file prompting because it was downloaded from the Internet. His problem is that he is basically using the IE links toolbar to launch applications. It's not meant for that purpose, and I would assume it's prompting because it recognizes either .lnk or .exe as a potentially dangerous filetype.
Hmm. Good point. Best option would be jumplist launcher or actually using win7 the way it was designed to be used.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Leave the error open and keep working on other folders, go back and hit retry a few minutes later, usually whatever had the thing locked is done with it by then.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

LoKout posted:

Give him a limited account and turn on parental controls. You can prevent installation of almost everything through local security policies as well. Harden the security by ensuring DEP and other security settings are on and you should be ok.

This would probably be easier to deal with than a second copy of Windows, because if he really needs something you can login as an admin account or install it on your profile and you don't have to install it twice or make sure he reboots into the correct copy of Windows.
Win7 Guest mode...
e; gently caress that feature got removed. Why the gently caress did they do that?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Anyone? I feel like this was ignored.
Make the window wide enough for two complete columns? It only slides over if the whole column isn't being displayed. Also remember the column width is determined by the longest name in that column.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

gently caress I feel dumb as hell, I literally never gently caress with window sizes anymore, I bet windows xp did this exact thing too and I just never noticed because I had a tiny monitor always had everything maximized.
I never use list and had to open a window, change it to list, and play around to see what you meant. It was wide enough where only clicking the third column would do it. Thus figuring out a solution.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

x86 = 32-bit.
Switching to x64 WILL require a clean install. Period.
That said I'd never do an upgrade install anyway.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Landerig posted:

Just going by me, why people would disable something like that is because they either don't want to bother learning it because the way they do things works well enough for them, and has worked for 10-15 years, or they don't trust it and don't want to rely on it in case it's buggy, has security holes, or to go tinfoil hat on you, secretly logs and/or sends data to MS.
Search is also great for finding that the config program for a soundcard or USB headset after looking through the start menu for corsair and the control panel for 5 minutes and finding nothing. :argh: <win><c><o><r><enter>

Seriously, try it.
Aside from animated gif previews, there is literally nothing I like about winXP now.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Helios127 posted:

Quick question.

Upgrading PC. Should I install 32 or 64 bit? My computer is capable of both.
Unless you are too dumb to select x64 on driver pages (or are building it for somebody else who may be that dumb), 64-bit is the way to go.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Rekkit posted:

Recently I've deleted everything on my hard drive and reinstalled Windows 7 and everything else. Since then, my computer is being really weird about connecting to the web. I posted this question on the hardware thread with no help, and it probably isn't a hardware problem (I hope) since this issue has only existed after I reinstalled Windows (and probably changed some setting?).

When the computer comes on from being shut down or asleep, it will say no internet access. If I remove and reinsert the ethernet cable, ta-da, it works. The problem is I have to remove and reinsert the cable every time the computer comes on, otherwise it does not connect online. And to make things more incovenient, I have to disconnect the cable from the computer itself because the problem remains if I do it at the router. This never happened before and it's quite annoying. Using Verizon Fios for an ISP. Any ideas?
1: msconfig and disable everything with the word apple on it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

So.
Service Pack One.
When?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Its also considered very low priority disk I/O, as far as I know. So unless you actually wait for it to stop thrashing, it won't hurt anything.
I wouldn't know. I stopped closing programs and/or windows a long time ago.