Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Cisco is phasing out the IPSEC client. Their solution is the AnyConnect client which is SSL only. They now require you to purchase SSL cals for their PIX to use VPN, where as before IPSEC was "free".
Do you have an official source that confirms this? (I want to show this to my boss)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

incoherent posted:

You MIGHT get away with XP mode or continuing to use 32bit win7 which is fine for 90% of most end user business applications.

Well we are trying to get rid of our old PIX for a couple of other reasons too. Not having to use that silly client anymore would be an additional motivation :)

Anyways, are there already experiences with using 64bit Windows7 in a corporate environment?
I'm pretty free in my decisions, so I'm wondering if I should play it safe with future installations (using 32bit) or take the leap.

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

incoherent posted:

You MIGHT get away with XP mode or continuing to use 32bit win7 which is fine for 90% of most end user business applications.

Conclusion: I ended up using Win7-32bit and vpnclient-win-msi-5.0.03.0560-k9.exe.

In case somebody is having the same problem as I had:

Problem: Cisco Client will connect to the VPN, but everything behind it will be unreachable.

Reason: Cisco VPN Client is unable to add the correct route.

Solution:

Start cmd.exe with Admin rights:

1. Start > Launch > cmd.exe + <Ctrl>+<Shift>+<Return>
  2. Add the correct route manually with "route add 192.168.50.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.51.252"

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

Xenomorph posted:

Vista's UAC and account auto-elevation fixed all the crap that earlier versions of Windows suffered from in regards to account access.

I'm dealing right now with a problem where I need to start a process with elevated rights from within powershell. Any ideas how to do this in a non-retarded way?