Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I hope this isn't a repeat, if it is I apologize. This is my first time in this subforum.

Several months ago I tried installing Windows 7 over my Windows Vista. I had a lot of problems with it, so I rolled back to Vista. A few weeks ago I decided to give it another go. This time (perhaps because of an update that Windows downloaded) it went much smoother and in no time I was running Windows 7 (64-bit) without any problems.

Except one: at some point, maybe during the first install attempt, Java got completely hosed on my computer. Last week, my wife needed Java for a website that allows her to do some work from home. Nothing I did could fix it.

In a nutshell, the problem (as it is now) is that Java is not installed but Windows thinks it is. I've tried 4 or 5 different methods of completely removing Java. But whenever I try to install it, it says "This software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall it?". I say Yes, and then it tells me "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed". I think it's possible that Windows Installer 5 is hosed too.

So I'm asking about any of these possibilities:

1) Some way to force Java to install?
2) Some way to fix Windows Installer 5? (it doesn't appear to be available for download anywhere)
3) Can I install Windows 7 32-bit over Windows 7 64-bit?

I imagine that #3 will solve a lot of my headaches, but I'm hoping that doing so won't force me to reinstall all my programs. The transition from Vista to 7 was very smooth, I didn't really have to do anything except download the new email client.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU