Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I've been running 7 x64 for about 3 weeks now and it's suddenly developed a weird networking issue.

Basically if any application is downloading anything whatsoever (browser downloading a file, a newsreader downloading binaries, a torrent client downloading a torrent, something downloading an update) the entire system just shits itself and grinds to a halt (although the download chugs along at its usual speed, whatever that happens to be). Mouseclicks become unresponsive, the cursor turns jerky and flits around or refuses to move in certain directions, it pretty much just breaks until the download completes at which point everything goes back to normal.

Anyone seen it do this before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Are you using a wireless mouse and wireless network card? I had similar issues on Vista with the frequencies of the mouse and wifi conflicting. It seemed especially worse when I had the afterburner option enabled on the NIC and router. Changing the wireless channel also helped.

Wireless mouse but wired network, so I don't think that's it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Tarwedge posted:

I've been running 7 x64 for about 3 weeks now and it's suddenly developed a weird networking issue.

Basically if any application is downloading anything whatsoever (browser downloading a file, a newsreader downloading binaries, a torrent client downloading a torrent, something downloading an update) the entire system just shits itself and grinds to a halt (although the download chugs along at its usual speed, whatever that happens to be). Mouseclicks become unresponsive, the cursor turns jerky and flits around or refuses to move in certain directions, it pretty much just breaks until the download completes at which point everything goes back to normal.

Anyone seen it do this before?

It's doing it with heavy local network traffic aswell now, fucksakes. Time to start reinstalling drivers/the whole goddamn OS.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I finally got my awesomely cheap copy of ultimate through from the microsoft expert rewards scheme at work, and so far I've been pretty impressed. The only problem I'm having though is that while under the RC build my fileshares for the network in the house were all configured and working perfectly with barely any input, the retail install has reverted to this irritating "I'm prompting you for a password for this share even though password protected sharing is turned off and the permissions on the folder are set for anyone anywhere ever on this network to access these files" bullshit.

I had the same problem for the brief period of time I used vista and it was the main reason I ditched that and went back to XP, and it was the thing I was happiest about with 7, so it's kind of lame that it seems to be not working again. Any ideas?

Also on the subject of sharing, is there a setting to have libraries update automatically for sharing? I often have to add the individual files manually into media player before they'll be visible to media devices on the network, even though windows lists the folders and files correctly in the library view of explorer.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

So whenever I plug in a USB device and the system chimes all the audio in any other application gets cut until I restart the application. I've read the fixes for Skype doing this and for Steam doing this posted on previous pages, and I thought maybe it was steam until I tested it without steam open, and I've checked the volume mixer to see if it's been lowered in there but no dice, all the volumes for every application behave as though nothing is changed and the levels are set exactly where they are supposed to be.

This is driving me crazy.