Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Small posted:

The one situation where task merging bugs me is when my Pidgin IM window gets merged in with the buddy list window -- to view a new IM when both are minimized, I have to click twice (or hover for the thumbnails). So I just made a Pidgin plugin that splits the buddy list and IM windows into separate groupings:

old:

new:

Anyone interested, or does this just only bug me? If anyone wants it I will try to polish it up... if not, I'll just use it myself.

Holy gently caress this has been bugging me since day one with win7. Where can I get this plugin? :)
EDIT: Win7 really needs an option to NOT group some windows.
EDIT2: Plugin installed! Works great thanks Small

Capnbigboobies fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Warthog posted:

Not having used Vista I think I missed a big change:
Is it true that EAX effects don't work since Vista because Microsoft did something that is good for security / stability but bad for ... sound effects in games?

Is there a fix to get that stuff working besides buying an X-Fi soundcard? (currently I'm using my P5B's onboard sound...)

My current problem is that I get perfect 5.1 sound out of my amp when I'm playing a movie but games only produce 2.1

When playing older non-OpenAL games you should download ALchemy off creative's website. It will patch older games so their 5.1 sound will work in vista.

I am loving glad that EAX2.0 and others are dead. It's really one of the best changes with vista and win7.

EDIT: I am a retard.

Capnbigboobies fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 7, 2009

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Irish Bandit posted:

The same trick that worked for upgrading the beta to RC works for upgrading RC to RTM.

I can confirm that this trick worked from like build 7127 to RTM.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

syphon posted:

I know this program has even been discussed here in this thread, but I wanted to bump it to pimp it again.

Those of you who have used Expose on OSX will want to give Switcher a try (http://insentient.net/ - it says it's for Vista, but works great in Win7 for me). It's written by a MS employee (but not officially endorsed), and it's basically a rip-off of Expose.

I've gotten used to using Expose in OSX, so this thing is awesome. It's surprising how well and seemless it runs with Windows. I bound it to the same hot-corner I use for Expose in OSX, so my habits are the same in either OS. I'd highly recommend you guys give it a try.

EDIT: Multi-monitor support and searching make it that much better. Active it and type 'i-t-u-<enter>' to bring up iTunes, for example.

I know people are fans of this app, but I see no reason to use it in vista and above. On windows 7 I can just type in WinKey then i-t-u and enter to open itunes as well. I know it has some plug-ins and stuff but for launching apps and searching for things the start menu search has you taken care of.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004
Anybody else take advantage of that 29.99 for a full copy of win7 if you can give MS a valid .edu email? I just called up and did it today. This will be my first ever legit copy of windows. I could not resist the great price.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Cizzo posted:

^^^^^^^Ew, you got taxed? https://www.win741.com

I was reading a few pages back and didn't see this but will Windows 7 be available for download (for those who used win741.com) at midnight tonight? Or will it be something stupid like 1pm EST on the 22nd due to the fact that it would be morning in PST?

I just want to know if I should stay up and start my whole reformatting process at 12am or just sleep and wake up in the morning.

I was going to do that website first. But it says its an upgrade. I didn't want to risk ending up with a lovely upgrade key. Calling MS directly will get you a retail disk for a FULL install disk/key. You have to pay local tax. Its cheaper too than that win741 if you want a disk shipped to you. They want 13 dollars extra. MS charges 5 dollars to ship you one.

EDIT: I would say https://www.win741.com is EW. They charge 13 dollars to ship you a disk and they say its an upgrade NOT a full install. I know you really don't need the disk, but its 5 bucks. MS method will allow you to download the iso if you want.

Capnbigboobies fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 21, 2009

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

dangerous.hotdog posted:

I had no idea that you could purchase a full version at the .edu price. Did you just call them and tell them you'd like the student price for the full version?

Yes call 1-877-696-7786 and press option 7 (you know for win7) and ask about the deal for students. Make sure you get professional, its the same price. Just give your .edu email.

EDIT: That win741 website just says upgrade. Is it full install? The guy on the phone at MS assured me I was getting a full copy plus the confirmation email also said "Full."

Capnbigboobies fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 21, 2009

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

dangerous.hotdog posted:

Awesome, thanks.

Yeah let me know how your order goes. That is like the best deal overall other than getting it for free.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Enclave posted:

I'm in Australia and I have a valid .edu account at my uni but the Microsoft website in Australia only offers the Upgrade edition for 49.95. The below site has the info

http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/itsnotcheating/default.aspx

I swear they said they were going to let you buy the full one for 30 dollars. I can find several articles stating this from google but the official MS site has no information on it. Does anyone have any idea of where I need to go or what I need to do to get the full version for the student pricing in Australia?

When I called MS today the person on the phone told me that the 29.99 price was only valid in the US. Maybe I am wrong though?

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Enclave posted:

Weird....

I was really looking forward to buying it, As it stands I can't afford it retail.

Try calling the AUS number and asking? 0011800 – 99 11 22 11 ? Is this it? I have no idea how your crazy numbering system works.

Holy jesus Win7 pro full is 450 down under. Jesus...

Capnbigboobies fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 22, 2009

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Cizzo posted:

I see what you're saying. I do realize it says upgrade but somewhere on their site (after much digging and I'm far too lazy to get it again) it says I can actually install Windows 7 Pro if I had Windows XP Pro. The problem is you can't do a direct upgrade like if you were to have Vista. You actually have to back up your data and then format your partitions and such and blah blah blah like a fresh install. This is what I read on their site. I don't know if it's true but I'm going to go for it anyway. If not, I might just use my friend's Windows Vista Ultimate and then upgrade it to Pro with my 7 key. I'm sure that would work.

And, win741 is great for people who don't want a physical copy shipped to them. I'm fine with a digital one.

Yeah you can do digital threw the MS number too mind you, but yeah, both deals are great. It's just better to go with the number to insure you get a full copy key. Hell its the same price.

I hear you can "double install" to do a clean install with just an upgrade copy. You install first with no key and when its done re-run the install and put in your key this time. I have no idea if this will work. Does nobody know?

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

jew$ posted:

Party foul, I wish someone had posted this before I bought from win741 :( I paid the $10 extra to have a physical copy shipped to me, just out of having a repair disk. It's pretty much impossible to cancel with digital river, because it's complete rear end...

Yeah sorry man. I assumed goons already knew about the phone option. That's why I waited so long to post it here. I figured it already was known. We shall find out if people are getting full installs or just upgrades in a few hours right?

I think it's possible to cancel. I have no idea it's too late but google searching came up with this.

quote:

Or you can submit a cancellation request using your e-mail to studentwindows.us@digitalriver.com instead and your order will be promptly canceled well within 24hrs.

You can Call Microsoft's Store directly at 1.877.696.7786 to place another order.

The BEST way to obtain the software is to call Microsoft at the number above. You can have the FULL Version of either Pro or Home shipped to you with DVD for $34.98 + local tax!! Digital River wants $43 for this.

EDIT: poo poo I wonder if you can use both places for two copies....

Capnbigboobies fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 22, 2009

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004
Sweet glad the win741 keys are working. Why are some of you guys buying home premium off that site when pro is the same price?

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004
I wonder when MS will ship its copies for those of us who called in...

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

jew$ posted:

I'm on the phone with Microsoft right now, and I was quoted with $50+ with the disk....I entered "1" on the operator thing...should I have pressed 7. Seeing as when I purchased from Digital River it was only $42.99

"Please hang up and try again."

EDIT: Ask about the 30 dollar student deal. :)

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

jew$ posted:

That's what I'm applying for, it's $29.99 for a digital download and something like $10 more for a disk...according to this thread you would get the full copy shipped to you if you called in :( I don't want to deal with a digital river download after hearing people's problems with it in this thread.

Yeah I called in the other day. I have not seen any email saying it shipped though.

I posted this before but you prob missed it. This was from calling MS directly.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

jew$ posted:

If you're willing to pay for awesome HD loops, https://www.istockphoto.com is pretty reasonable.

Did you press "7" or "1" when you called? Maybe I just got a new tech? I was quoted with something like $57. :(

press 7. call again and see what happens :)

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Capnbigboobies posted:

press 7. call again and see what happens :)

Did you ask for the student deal and then give them a valid .edu email? You need one for the 29.99 price.

gently caress Quote =! Edit.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

wintermuteCF posted:

If you call and give a valid .edu, do you have to be able to _check_ this address?

No idea if they have like a database or anything, but they use that email to send you your receipt and such.

EDIT: I should explain more. At first they required you to click a confirmation link in your email, but it seems they dropped that due to the massive demand. I didn't have to click no link to confirm the email. Your milage may vary though.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

jew$ posted:

email a cancellation request to studentwindows.us@digitalriver.com with your order number

Ok, I called Microsoft back, and this time I pressed "7" (Questions about Windows 7) then "1" (Buy Windows 7 Now). Unlike when I pressed "1" at the start menu, I had 0 wait time, and I got the full edition of Professional for $38 shipped with both 64 and 32 bit disks.

So to people who are going to call Microsoft directly, press "7" on the start menu for both speedy service and a proper quote/a better deal.

Sweet, were you able to get your digitalriver copy 100% canceled? The number to call in case anybody is wondering for the full copy from MS is 1-877-696-7786 .

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004
Looks like my copy is "delayed"

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Ikrizzle posted:

Just want to clear something up before calling, you got both 32 and 64 bit discs for that price without any special strings being pulled?

Yeah you get both, but you can still only use one version on one pc with they key they give you.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004
Alright looks like my order got updated and is no longer in delayed limbo.

Anybody else find this release anticlimactic since most of us have been running RTM for months?

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Ikrizzle posted:

Welp, just got off the phone with 1-877-696-7786 (then pushed 7, then 1), after 20 minutes of holding, the woman I talked to seemed a little confused, but was very firm in saying that I could only get the upgrade version for $30, and that full was $300 and there was no way to get it for less, student or no. What do I do now?

Try calling again and see what another phone rep says. All over my order form is "Windows 7 professional full"

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Ikrizzle posted:

Awesome, called again and the guy took me through everything in just a couple minutes (and couldn't believe the other person I talked to didn't know about the deal). Grand total: $36.90 for full professional. Thanks for the help everyone

I knew once you got a non-retarded phone rep you would be set. Why don't all the phone people not know about it? I wonder how many people are getting the deal from MS than from win741.com. It seems how that win741 website is rolling it out it's a real cluster gently caress.

Capnbigboobies fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 23, 2009

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

decypher posted:

I used 1-877-696-7786 , then 7, and then 1 in the call tree. I told them a friend said I could get professional for 39$ bucks and then he said how about 29$ bucks? I confirmed he said full and forked over my CC info.

This really should be added to the OP.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004
Just to update about my order through MS, I recently got this email.

Mircosoft Store posted:

We wanted to let you know that we are shipping your order on time.

Due to the tremendous response we've received from the launch of Windows 7, your shipping confirmation e-mail has been slightly delayed. Rest assured that your order is on its way, and there's nothing else you need to do.

Thanks for shopping at Microsoft Store.

A buddy of mine and a fellow goon that PM'ed me, have not got their confirmation emails yet. Looks like they are lagging right now.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

nbzl posted:

Never mind. Just did the same Microsoft direct line trick and ordered Full Pro version for 29.99. Got my key instantly and I'm downloading the 64bit ISO as we speak.

I still don't get why people are going with digitalriver when you can just go with Microsoft directly.
EDIT: Are goons too scared to pick up the phone and call Microsoft?

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

thrawn86 posted:

I assume 'direct line' meant he called them?

I am glad he did, that's why I quoted it.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

TreFitty posted:

So I remember reading a long time ago that Windows 7 Remote Desktop was going to support things like DirectX 10/Aero. I see no way of getting that to work, though. If it does work (somehow), is it workable on an XP/Vista client as well?

What version are you running? I think this is a ultimate only feature. Which is loving retarded.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Not Memorable posted:

Anything someone could point me towards to investigate Windows 7 install problems? I have 64 bit home premium OEM that I'm slapping into a completely new build. I left it running at the "unpacking files" or whatever part of the install at about 30%, came back about 15 minutes later to an error saying that some of the files necessary for install are missing or corrupt? It canceled the install, had to hard reset.

How could files be missing? This is a full version, not an upgrade, and the drat CD is in the drive.

Edit: Reading more on it. Hitting repair your computer after hitting okay from the error message gives me a "memory could not be read" error. ??

Maybe something is wrong with your installation media or the new hardware. I noticed that these days there is a good chance of having a bad ddr2 stick. Its probably not the win7's installers fault.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004
I got my copy of win7 pro today! Thank god, took long enough.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

revolther posted:

Will Windows Live Mesh let you upload folders full of files now? I tried it out a while ago, but found it annoying lacking that function.

I have mesh back up my documents folder and several others. Its a great service. 5gb of space too!

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Cuddly Coach posted:

Asked about this earlier. I think the 123098123fa12bc12 dir's with .vdm are some remnants from the MSE scanner. Mine seem to be emptying out after a while, but not removing the directory. The eula. and install. files Ive just been trashing. Whats the worst that could happen

I just noticed this the other day. I thought at first I had a virus or something. Anybody knows why MSE makes those folders?

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Lacc posted:

To the guy asking about the drive they're created in, I'm pretty sure WU just uses the one with the most free space.

Yeah this seems to be right, I have all those folders on my drive with the most space free.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Clock Explosion posted:

Anyone having any problems relating to iTunes refusing to start whatsoever?

It's weird - sometimes it works, and I click on it and it starts to run. Other times, the taskbar shows that it's active, but then it shows that it's not active. If you look at the processes tab of the Task manager, it shows it's hanging around with about 10 MB of memory left.

Any ideas?

I did have this problem way back in the beta. Eventually I figured out that intunes refused to open for me when I had the windows install disk in my dvd drive. As soon as I removed it itunes started right up. I don't know if your problem is similar, but its worth a try.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Magnificent Quiver posted:

I have a Creative X-FI card and I've been getting a TON of crashes and stuttering in Modern Warfare 2, which I think might be related to the sound card. Does anyone know if Windows Update will install its own drivers for the card yet, or am I stuck with the ones from Creative that haven't been updated since April?

I might just rip the card out of my computer and turn the Realtek chip back on - I can't loving believe how awful Creative's support is. Isn't the X-FI still the newest brand they have?

I played WM2 with little to no stuttering. The game ran wonderful on my x-fi, e6300 @3ghz and 8800gts. (This is at 1920x1200.) I also never had a single crash.

Creative is a POS company and I will never buy a card from them ever again. I guess it does not matter since MS finally put an end to bullshit like EAX and DirectSound3d in vista and above. I am glad MS did this, it's wonderful to not have to buy a lovely creative card just to have 5.1 sound in games. Seriously, this is one of the best changes MS made to how sound works in windows. It also probably helps system stability as well.

Perhaps the crashes could be related to some other hardware issue such as ram?

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004
Sometimes when I shut down my computer, everything shuts off (external HD's, monitors etc.) but the computer will not power off. It's really annoying. Anybody else had this issue?

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

incoherent posted:

Does the computer have the fans spinning? Verify the button on the start is shut down, not sleep. Also try pressing the button on the front of the computer to initiate a shutdown.

Yup the machine is still fully powered on. It is not in sleep mode, it can enter s3 sleep mode just fine its just 3/10 shutdowns will result in what I am talking about.

Setting your computer to shutdown then come back 3 hours later and everything is powered off (video, external and internal HD's) but the main system is annoying. Everything is off but its like windows does not finally power the machine down.

If there is a improper shutdown and you hold down the power button to force the computer to power off my mobo will just turn the computer back on again. Annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

incoherent posted:

You wouldn't of built this computer by hand would you?

Yeah, been building my own computers for well over a decade. Its not my incompetence like you are assuming. This behavior never happened in vista. No ram is bad etc.

I am guessing it is caused by upgrading from a beta build to RTM by changing the values of that one file that checks build version on the RTM iso. I am just too lazy I guess to do a reinstall and was wondering if anybody had this happen and had a fix.