Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Horrible, horrible shoes!

Jippa posted:

Has any one used this

http://www.sandboxie.com/

or if not, rate it?

I have it installed but haven't found much occasion to use it. It's a solid piece of software though. I've seen it recommended lots of places.

One use I came across recently is to install time-limited trial programs as many times as you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Trillian.

I'm just installing Trillan and they have a checkbox labelled "Add Uninstall information to Add/Remove programs". Seems like an odd thing to include.

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

I was fixing a friend's laptop, and ended up having to do a repair install of Windows 7 since nothing else would work. I didn't realize that I'd need to reenter the serial key.

The laptop has a genuine windows sticker on the underside, but no key. The label is worn, but there's no sign there was ever a key on it.

The laptop originally came with Vista but was upgraded to Windows 7. My friend had a key to give me, but it wouldn't authenticate. Do you get a new key you upgrade? If so, he probably only has the old one.

What are my options? Is there any way to retrieve the old key?

I'm tempted to just give him back the laptop unauthenticated. Is there any downside other than have to deal with a few "You may be a victim of counterfeiting" popups?

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

eggyolk posted:

Does anyone know of a good Windows 7 sticky notes style desktop calendar? Something floating that you can write notes on and set reminder alarms? I've tried a few of the free ones but they're either trials or buggy and destroy my dual monitor desktop.

Have you tried rainlendar? It takes a good skin to make it look nice, but it sounds like what you need.

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Toast Museum posted:

:stare:

WHY

Because bigger numbers = better.

The longer it takes to complete, the more deleted your files are.

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Just wanted to let everyone know that the latest version of Trillian no longer needs the Skype user interface to be running in order to use Skype services. That means the new "Skype Home" behaviour never has to bother me again.

Thanks for the heads-up. Skype is getting shittier and shittier each update.

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Is there a way to change print settings without using the interface? I'd like to have a batch script or something similar that reverts the page mode to landscape and the zoom to 100%.

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Guy Axlerod posted:

What program are you using?

For some reason I thought it was a generic print dialog. I'd like to revert the settings in both Word and Firefox.

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Ika posted:

Its utterly pointless, instead of storing my login data for ICQ/etc on my PC, it stores login data locally to access the login data remotely, leaving me with yet another password I don't need and which could be compromised.

It allows you to log into Trillian on PCs other than your own. Maybe not useful to you, but it isn't utterly pointless.

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

What sorts of programs, if any, allow me to see what the hell is causing my hard drive to thrash so much?

My 'main' HD is a older/slow one, so I know that's the cause, but I'd love to know more concretely what's causing it. The disk tab in Resource Monitor has all the understandability of... well, something not very understandable. All I can glean from RM is that it's said older/slow drive going nuts. The newer HD I have isn't doing a thing.

Process Explorer might help you figure out what's causing the slowdown.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

You'll have to add the specific columns relating to disk activity.

TwoKnives fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 29, 2012

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Propaganda Hour posted:

Windows press conference in LA is just starting, Engadget has a pretty okay live blog going right now here.

The Verge have one going as well.
http://live.theverge.com/microsoft-live-blog-tablet-announcement/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

http://www.ispyconnect.com/

I wanted to use a webcam for security and found this program. I never got around to using it though. The site looks professional at least.