Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Spudsly posted:

I went with the $42 one simply because I'm a postdoc and they seem pretty clear that the $19 one is only for undergraduate or graduate students.
Wow, postdoc isn't considered "graduate student"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

fishmech posted:

The only possible upgrade installs from XP are clean installs, the upgrade disc allows you to do this.

So wait, then why would anyone buy a "full version" instead of an upgrade disc?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I'm having trouble installing a printer driver in 64bit W7, which I was able to accomplish just fine in the 32bit RC. I have two HP printers on another PC in the network. LaserJet 1000 is no longer supported by HP, so that's fine (would be nice if it worked like it does in 32bit, but oh well). But the CM1015 PCL 6 doesn't work either.

I've gone to HP's website, found the "windows 7 64 bit" version drivers for PCL 6, and unzipped them to my computer. But when I try to use W7's add new printer tool, it says it can't find appropriate drivers via Windows Update (the RC happily accomplished this for both printers without a hitch). Even when I point the File Needed dialog to the directory I unzipped the .inf files, it says it can't find the appropriate drivers.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Strong Sauce posted:

Tried this patch put my computer into hibernate last night. Woke it up today, 20 mins later I get the same errors so I guess my problem isn't the one they hotfixed :(

I was having this trouble with a TB drive too; I updated my BIOS and updated the drivers for my Gigabyte motherboard and the error message stopped popping up. Check your mobo manufacturer's website for updates, I'd say.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

m2pt5 posted:

No.

Upgrade versions of Windows 7 (technically) require an activated installation of Vista or XP to be on the drive, however XP cannot be "upgraded" to Win7; all you can do is a custom (clean) install, and the process will move all your stuff to \Windows.old. There is reportedly a way to do a "clean" install onto an empty hard drive from upgrade media, but I don't know how.

In other words, since this confused me a few months ago: yes, you can use an upgrade CD to install the OS on top of XP. You just won't be able to in-place install to keep your programs installed in registry, etc; but their physical files will be preserved in \Windows.old when you do a clean install.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

teethgrinder posted:

Sounds like the typical old Windows bloat-over-time. Often something like a lovely HP printer driver can cause that.

My issue is that the RC would boot in about 15 seconds, but a fresh retail install has never booted in less than a minute.

I always have my power button put my desktop to sleep. There's not much point to actually shutting down except to install updates, is there?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I'm using a dual monitor setup. Right now, Trillian (and other) popup messages appear on the bottom corner of my primary monitor, which is a problem when I'm running something fullscreen. Is there some way to change one or the other to default to display on my second monitor?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

LoKout posted:

I think Trillian can change where the popups display. If not, it should :colbert:. You could always set the primary to be the other monitor and then move the taskbar to the secondary monitor. Not sure if that would launch games on the secondary monitor, but you could probably get that working somehow too.
Yeah, I don't think Trillian has that option; I couldn't find it in the settings. Anyway, the popups are apparently connected to the taskbar, so moving it to the secondary monitor let me keep the notifications visible while the fullscreen programs open in the primary. Thanks!

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Office Thug posted:

Nope, still brings up the Libraries explorer.

I just found out what it was, I downloaded the 32bit installer, not the 64bit one for SVN :doh:. I'm glad that was it since I like Libraries, I didn't want to remove it.

You can see the actual path to any included folder by right-clicking on a Library and choosing Properties.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Is there any way to configure Windows to grant focus to any window when I mouseover it, rather than clicking on it?

edit: Never mind, found it. Control Panel > Ease of Access > Make the mouse easier to use

Fuschia tude fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 29, 2010

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

ilkhan posted:

Win7 Guest mode...
e; gently caress that feature got removed. Why the gently caress did they do that?

:raise:

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Essobie posted:

Quoting this for a new page, since I would like the answer as well. Samsung makes a nice laptop, but the amount of garbage they install before you get it is insanity.

I'm almost certain you can. After my laptop's install of Vista got borked, I burned a new ISO of Vista and reinstalled it with the CD key printed on the bottom. I can't imagine they've changed their policy in two years; what would be the alternative?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

vlack posted:

I have a Compaq desktop that's a few years old which I just upgraded to Windows 7 from XP. Unlike other Win7 computers, it does a bright-red flash every time I get a UAC prompt - other Win7 computers do dim the screen to gray before showing the prompt, but I've never seen such a bright, obnoxious flash before.

Is there a way to turn this off? The UAC control panel doesn't seem to allow you to set the color yourself. To be clear, I'm not trying to turn off UAC or the Secure Desktop feature, just change the flash from this horrible red to gray or whatever it is normally.

That seems like it might be a video (card?) issue. I've seen that happen before with other programs.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Spazz posted:

74865ef2562006e51d7f9333b4a8d45b7a749dab windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe
c3516bc5c9e69fee6d9ac4f981f5b95977a8a2fa windows6.1-KB976932-x86.exe

Edit: Also, here's the DL page. Looks like they may be general release now. I don't have MSDN but I have access.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c3202ce6-4056-4059-8a1b-3a9b77cdfdda

That's just the Release Candidate, which will stop running November 2011. I'd rather wait for the final release.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Xotl posted:

Besides the usual dozens of obscure fixes, SP1 has lots of fixes for:

1) printer issues
2) crashes/bluescreens
3) hibernation/sleep issues

There's also a minor memory leak or two closed, but those are the big three I can think of for the average user.

I still can't add either of my network printers in Win7 x64.

HP :argh:

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Gyshall posted:

Shark007 also bundles the ask and bing toolbars with no opt out, which is loving gay as poo poo.

Chrome doesn't have toolbars.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

What's a recommended freeware sound editing utility? I've liked Goldwave in the past, but is there anything better now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Has Secunia PSI been worthless for anyone else? It either gets stuck at Preparing to Scan or Preparing Results and never actually moves on from there, for me.

fake edit: Apparently it's been broken by Windows Update? The workaround displays my scan result but the program is essentially frozen after that -- I can't see any way to update programs, they're just all grayed out.

The older versions still supported by Secunia and linked in that thread don't work for me, because they don't support proxies, unlike 3.0.

As much as everyone is saying this is such a great program -- am I SOL?