Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb
Anyone know a good print server that's going to work with Win 7, preferably wireless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Kameleon posted:

confirmed, 7-zip's integration works fine in 7.

Make sure you install the 64 bit version of 7zip if you have a 64 bit install.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

univbee posted:

^^ have you tried taking ownership of the files? Are these files you created before upgrading to Windows 7?

Edited the OP with some info about the Superbar, tray, and 7-zip integration, and did some general cleanup and re-wording of things.

You might also want to say you should install the 64bit version of 7-zip if you have the 64 bit OS. That was my problem.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Sorry if this belongs in Haus of tech support but I figured someone else might be having similar issues and might have some insight. I built a new machine this past week and I'm running windows 7 32bit RC until the real version comes out. right now have 3 hard drives running on it

C: New Segate, SATA
D: Not as new Segate, SATA
E: Old Segate, SATA

When windows 7 goes into standby and is woken up the D: drive will disappear. It won't come back until I reboot. From what i can tell this might be the OS. Additionally it lists C and D as electable in the USB eject interface on the system tray. From what i can gather its seeing the two drives as USB and ejects the D drive when on standby.

I had this exact same problem. I installed the latest Intel Matrix Storage Manager and it solved it.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

jmu posted:

Has anyone else experienced issues with Windows 7 and onboard eSata ports using a JMicron storage controller (jmb36x)?

There's been a pretty constant stream of new drivers showing up at
ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmb36x/XP_Vista_Win7/ but none have fixed my issue. I have a WD external drive with esata/usb/firewire hookups and when connected via eSata the drive disconnects when coming back from sleep. Nothing will bring it back besides power cycling the unit. It worked great in Vista after I updated the firmware and got a more recent driver but now I'm stuck using USB.

I've tried all kinds of crap including switching my Windows 7 install to AHCI, having device manager rescan via devcon (basically i only need the thing for backups so i could have this run before a scheduled backup) etc etc, it seems like the drive is getting a mal-formed wake command or something from the computer.

I had this exact same problem. I installed the latest Intel Matrix Storage Manager and it solved it.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Has anyone gotten printer sharing with 2 win 7 computers through homegroup working correctly?

Trying to print from the computer the printer is not connected to doesn't work, until the computer connected to the computer reboots.

Printing from the computer connected to the computer works correctly.

Printer sharing is turned on in the Homegroup window, requiring a password is turned off, sharing the printer through the normal printer interface is turned on. Any idea?

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Strict 9 posted:

I've started using remote desktop to control my HTPC when I need to make some changes, which is great.

What is not great is that after I log out, it boots me back to the main login screen, so I have to get up and go to the computer to log back in.

Any way to have it automatically log in after my remote desktop session is done? I tried turning on the automatic login option in the control panel, but that only seems to effect the initial boot-up.

I suppose I could use a different user account to do remote desktop, but I'm worried some changes I make then wouldn't show up for my HTPC account.

Thanks.

LogMeIn is great for this, I use it.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Strict 9 posted:

Yeah, I've used LogMeIn and VNC, but they're both terrible at handling applications like XBMC, and are also a fair amount slower than what I get through Remote Desktop Connection.

Oh you mean controlling it while you are there watching it, I just use a normal wireless mouse and the Logitech diNovo Mini. I use LogMeIn to mess with the computer away from the media room, to do updates and move files around or what not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

magimix posted:

But surely there is more to it than that? As I noted in a previous post, I get the 'New Folder' treatment when right-clicking in the left-hand pane of Windows Explorer, but when right-clicking in the right-hand pane *of the same Folder* I get the full 'New' sub-menu.

The left pane is just folders, the right pane is normal? Just think about it, it makes since.