Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Repost from the last Windows 7 thread: Anyone having problem syncing a 4th gen iPod nano using x64 iTunes 8.1.1 on 7 RC? When I try to sync a playlist, I'm getting a message telling me it can't find the disk to write to. Works fine under x86 Vista. Suggestions?

All transitory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Oops, wrong post.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 24, 2009

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Orgophlax posted:

So I done gone and hosed up...
http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

Install that, then use it to create a new boot entry for XP. Read the instructions carefully though, if you mess up the boot file you'll end up needing to use the Windows 7 DVD Startup repair tool.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

For now I'll just stick with reducing the graphics fluff to XP levels so that my co-workers don't ooooh and aaahh too loudy.
Don't turn off Aero completely (you can turn off the transparency though) - it will perform better.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Amazon UK says here that "At present in the EU, all versions of Windows 7 (Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate) are the full product. This means that to install Windows 7, you do not need any previous version of Windows installed on your computer." Is that accurate? Basically, I want to be able to do a clean install straight from booting off the DVD. I know this has been discussed recently but I've read conflicting things about it.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 15, 2009

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

John Wayne Gacy posted:

The €50 preorder version went on sale in Germany today and was sold out within the first ten minutes at Amazon and most other online retailers.
Try again later - same thing happened on Amazon UK before I knew it was available, then it reappeared in an hour or two. Obviously they got more "stock" in. Also, Professional might still be up?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

kapinga posted:

It's correct, since MS took IE out they also are not releasing any upgrade versions of 7 to the EU for several months after GA. They supposedly reduced the price of the full versions to compensate, but its still gonna be expensive.
£45 for a full licence version of Windows 7 Home Premium - and they've even removed IE for me? Yes please.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Beforan posted:

In relation to this, I present: http://www.randomnation.co.uk/subsites/7progman/
"Compatible with all 16-bit editions of Windows 7"!
If only more people knew :wtc:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Um, where is the advanced search UI that was in Vista when I wanted to search a folder from the top right search box? Using 7 here and can't find it and it would be pretty darned useful right now.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Blodskur posted:

For any Brits that want to get Home Premium while it's cheap, it's currently £44.99 (with free delivery) on PC World/Currys/Dixons. It's £49.99 on Staples, Comet and Anvika. The price has increased on Play.com, the UK Microsoft Store and Amazon.co.uk to £80, so you better be quick.
Jesus, PC World really know how to sell the best version of Windows yet: "Open files and documents in just two clicks". Still, great price for 7.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

johndoe7776059 posted:

Does anyone know a free replacement for Startup Monitor that works with windows 7? Basically looking for a program that lets you know anytime a program gets added to the start up list, and lets you allow or disallow the change.
I know the TeaTimer system monitor thing in Spybot asks you about this kind of thing (haven't tested it with 7 though), but I always just found it easier to either just use msconfig or CCleaner after I install something and see if a program has invited itself in for tea and biscuits in my startup.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

MrSlayer posted:

regarding these UK deals, do the boxes contain both 32-bit and 64-bit versions?
That's what I've heard. Having Microsoft take out IE8 is class on so many levels.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Lum posted:

Regarding the UK deal, it says that in order to qualify you need to be running a genuine XP or Vista install. I'm currently running Linux.

None of the retailers selling it mention this requirement, so what's the actual deal here?
There will be no upgrade versions available in the EU, so to compensate us poor bastards who can't upgrade, we're getting the full version for upgrade prices. When I say full version, I mean we're getting what is basically an OEM disc. You can do a clean install but not an update. I don't know if they will make us provide an XP disc during installation or something like that. It's not exactly crystal clear.

All transitory

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Lum posted:

From the MS site: http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/buy/offers/pre-order-faq.aspx

This is what I'm asking about. Is it going to ask for a Vista product key or something?
Edit: Also, do you get downgrade rights?
Jesus, that basically contradicts what Amazon had on their web site about Windows 7 E Home Premium. Unless they mean that from a legal point of view, you need to own a previous version of Windows. Amazon UK explicitly stated that you don't need to have a previous version of Windows installed to do a clean install of 7 E, so I hope the most it requires is a product key.

I've read a few things that make it seem like Microsoft are unclear about this at present.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

EC posted:

:words:
Try rebuilding the index. Always sorts me out, the few times I've had weird search non-results.

Merv Burger posted:

Are you, honestly, going to notice 100MB missing off your hard drive?

Besides, I believe it's used for holding a lot of the stuff that would normally clutter the root of C:\, like the boot files, because I just looked at my C:\ root with system files unhidden and nothing but the page and hibernation files showed up.
Is the 100Mb not used for system recovery files that would normally require you to insert the DVD to tackle, such as boot up repair etc? I remember reading about this somewhere but can't find the source.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 22, 2009

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Oops, double post.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

CheeToS posted:

Holy crap :psyduck:
http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2009/08/01/microsoft-kills-windows-7-e-editions.aspx

Microsoft is getting rid of the E versions altogether now. The people in Europe who pre-ordered the retail E versions will be getting full retail versions at upgrade prices.
Happy times. £45 for a full licence of Home Premium? Check.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Mensur posted:

yes, it was sarcasm
No way!

Anyway, I installed Windows 7 RC on my dad's netbook after the XP install stopped shutting down properly and I couldn't get it sorted - and holy poo poo, it runs well! This isn't a Rolls Royce of netbooks either - only 1GB RAM, but it pretty much runs on par with XP. Even has Aero functioning fully. Colour me impressed.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Having a small problem with 7 Ultimate RTM - when I log in as a Standard user, the settings I tweak under Advanced System Settings (namely turning off the window fade in/out effect and shadows under windows) don't stay applied after I log off. What gives?

Edit: Sorted the problem by changing the account type to administrator, altering the settings, then changing the account back to standard. Irritating though.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 21, 2009

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Quick question - gonna format and install 7 on my friend's laptop. It has an x64 processor, but only 3GB RAM (part of which may or may not be shared video RAM. Should I install the x86 or x64 build of 7?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Mensur posted:

Being as that it's a laptop and he's probably not going to get anymore ram I'd say just go with x86 to ensure no compatibility issues.
Compatibility issues aside (they're few and far between these days, anecdotally anyway), is there an advantage to having x64 on the machine even though it hasn't got more than 3GB RAM?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I think I'm just not clear on system-wide performance - x64 requires 2GB RAM whereas x86 requires 1GB in 7. The only x64 programs this machine will likely be running are NOD32 4, iTunes 9, and 7Zip. So with 3GB RAM, would I be better installing x86 or x64?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Maneki Neko posted:

32bit programs do get their address space in 64bit versions of the os, which can help if there's memory pressure there. System pools, etc. have grown as well.
So overall, with 3GB RAM, it's not gonna make much difference if I install 64-bit or 32-bit? Was leaning towards x64 anyway, just making sure its slightly higher RAM requirement wasn't going to negatively impact on things.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

BaronVanAwesome posted:

If your processor can run x64, there's almost no reason not to.
Went the x64 route, had everything going swimmingly, then I tried to use a wireless broadband dongle...

Many hours later, on x86 now.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Chipwich posted:

Been getting this message when saving pictures. Has anyone else experienced this? How do i get rid of it? I am running W7 in admin mode by the way.

Cheers if anyone knows anything

You can use an older version of NOD32 (like 4.0.437 or whatever the previous version was), you can use another antivirus, or you can go into the Entire advanced setup tree under the Setup tab>Antivirus and antispyware protection>Real-time file system protection, and clear the Scan on File creation option.

This will leave you more vulnerable to infection, but unless you are four-wheeling it over the interwebs, the Scan on file open and execution options should hopefully be enough to tide you over until we get a fix.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Just a heads up to anyone using NOD32 4 on Windows 7 - an update was released today (4.0.474.0) that has:

• Fixed: Scheduler task not displaying scan targets

• Fixed: Slow opening of Office documents from a Windows 2003 server share

• Fixed: Intermittent error when saving files on Windows 7

• Other minor fixes and improvements.

I was getting the intermittent error when saving files.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

You tried running a scan for adware etc? My mate's machine (running XP)used to pop up IE windows off screen because he four wheels it over the internet.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Quick question here - my external hard drive is displaying generic 16-bit 16x16 icons for a lot of .exe files. When I copy them to another drive they display the proper icons appear. I formatted the troublesome hard drive then copied all the stuff back onto it again, and once again the icons are messed up. What's doing this, and how can I fix it?

Edit: Using Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM. Didn't think this was all worth a thread in HOTS.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 6, 2010

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Casao posted:

Turning off power control is the best idea, if you don't want to turn it all off you can go into the drive's hardware properties.
Where are the power options specific to the device located? Tried Device Manager and the Hardware tab in the drive Properties but don't see any option for power management.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

rolleyes posted:

I'm not sure about doing it for a specific disk (Casao? You know anything about that?) but you can do it for all disks here:

Search for power in the start menu, click "Change plan settings" for the plan you want to edit and then click "Change advanced power settings".
Cheers, changed it to 120 minutes so see how that suits me.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Bonus posted:

Im installing windows 7 and it's been stuck at "Expanding Windows Files (92%)" for like 20 minutes or something, the three dots keep moving but it's stuck at 92%. Should I wait some more or try installing again?
This happened to me with Vista a couple of times before SP1 shipped. If you still haven't got passed this stage, or you're trying it again, eject the DVD (assuming that's what you're installing from), and the install routine should give you some message either saying a file is missing or the source is missing or to reinsert the DVD. After reinserting the install media, it should continue on its way if you're getting the same problem I had.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Are there any Windows 7 SP1 slipstream tutorials? The only one I can find uses RT 7 Lite, which gives me a variety of error messages whether I try running it on Windows 7 or Vista.

I reinstall Windows on a regular basis so this would be very helpful. Thanks.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

madprocess posted:

If you don't mind my asking, why are you constantly reinstalling? Anyway I think you're better off trying to get a hold of an official SP1 ISO.
I fix a fair few computers for friends and work colleagues (usually involving formatting), as well as having to hose my own installs the odd time due to colossal disasters.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

If you're in a corporate environment, don't slipstream. Just get the updated ISO. It will cause all kinds of hell when you try to cut an image off a system built from slipstreamed media.
Just a home user here. Is there anywhere I can legitimately get the ISO? I don't subscribe to MSDN or Technet or anything.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Am I right in saying that Windows 7 OEM keys are valid regardless of whether you install the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Instant Stalker posted:

That's right. Everything that I've read says a windows 7 ultimate 32 bit license is a windows 7 64 bit license. Of course, you can only use the license on one set of hardware at a time.

Thought so, cheers.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Lazyhound posted:

I just had my Windows product key change itself from a legitimate key to one that is apparently floating around the Internet. Is there any non-malwarey explanation for this? An MSE scan comes up clean, and I don't really do much browsing in Windows (I dual-boot it for games and Visual Studio, mostly).

Have you activated Windows a hell of a lot in the past year? For poo poo and giggles, I reinstalled (and hence reactivated) Windows 7 probably 20+ times in the space of a year (legit copy bought directly from Amazon).

One day while activating, it told me I'm the victim of software piracy. Long story short is, I had to call Microsoft and speak to one of their licensing guys, who did some poo poo over remote access for an hour, then eventually just had to ask his boss if he could generate a new Product Key for me. He said that somewhere in the EULA, there's a stipulation that only so many activations are allowed before they think you're a pirating SOB.

I don't know if that's BS or not, but I'm a lot more cautious about formatting etc. now.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Essobie posted:

Things is why I activate a clean install then backup an image of it activated.

Does Windows Home Premium have a built-in image backup utility?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Toast Museum posted:

Yeah.

Can I ask how to use it here, or does that belong in Haus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Does anyone know if Office 2013 will be available on the Home Use Program through Volume License customers, just as Office 2010 is at the moment?