Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
I'm feeling a little conflicted. I've got a dinky little netbook that I purchased last summer which came with Win7 starter. It's only got 1GB of RAM, and for all intents and purposes, it does just fine for random forum browsing, word processing, and work-related garbage. But part of me sees the $30 Pro deal and wants to jump on it--even though there's no real "need" for it.
Is there some added benefit to upgrading that I'm not seeing? Instead, would it be worth upgrading the 1GB of RAM to 2GB (for about the same price--$30) and sticking with Starter edition? (The motherboard cannot handle a 4GB dimm.) Looking for advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

spog posted:

Windows Media Center
Printing Via Internet
EFS
Presentation Mode
Backup and Restore to Network

any of these worth $30 to you?
None of them immediately strike me as useful, no. :\ I'm definitely not an advanced user.

I've got an ASUS 1005PEB. I tried sticking a 4GB RAM chip in, and it wouldn't even post to BIOS, so I suspect that it's a hardware limitation, not a Starter limitation.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Thank you for the advice, and thank you for putting my mind at ease, thread. :)