Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

One thing that has bothered me for a while now is that I feel like I've got so little control over my PC audio. Mix, levels and everything. Not only is this annoying because I do a bunch of radio where I have total control over every aspect of my sound, and coming home to a worse setup sucks, but it truly does gently caress with my self confidence that I haven't figured out a solution for this by myself yet.

I'm using my HyperX cloud II for pretty much everything nowadays, connected via USB, my problems are most prominent on that set, but pretty ubiquitous. I have two main problems:
1. As seen in this image, a comfortable volume level occupies something like a tenth of the volume bar, meaning I have really poor precision and control over my volume.

2. In addition to and combined with this, trying to set up different volumes for when I'm playing MP games, watching films and alt-tabbing between the two is clunky, annoying and bad. I generally keep my games at a way higher volume than youtube and whatnot.

So what I hope you guys can help me with is some way to adjust all this on the fly with more intuition and precision. Good third party software, a setting I've somehow missed, whatever. I'd love to be able to use the whole volume slider, or adjust Codblops without loving with VLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

baka kaba posted:

Don't your headphones have a volume control? If the sound's coming in through USB then surely it's the built-in amp that's making things deafeningly loud

I assume so, but there's no dedicated software for the Cloud II or anything like that, so I've got the volume buttons on the cord, but they control the windows volume directly, so it makes no difference.

It kinda seems like third party software is my only solution, but I know gently caress all about what's safe or recommended there.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

baka kaba posted:

Yeah looks like it's a common issue, and the controls don't actually affect the amp's own output level, which is weird. So it's only giving you a tiny bit of usable range

Someone might have some recommendations for a plugin that can bring the level down after the Windows mixer, so you can use it normally. Or maybe if you go into the sound properties for your headset, there might be something you can do in there? An EQ where you can drag all the levels down without affecting the main volume control, something like that.

Might also be worth updating the firmware for the headset too, just in case they went "hey this is pretty dumb" and set it to a sensible volume - I saw one review saying "if you turn it up to full you can use the headset as speakers!" :eek:

but yeah the windows volume mixer is really annoying. Wish they'd at least put a dang reset button in there so you're not trying to push them all to the same line - oops you pushed a little too much and now everything else is quieter! And you can't just lower it because they'll all move because now they're relative

Yeah the mixer is incredibly annoying and unintuitive, and it's been so for as long as I can remember. And I, too, saw that it's a common problem, so I think a plugin or something is my only option.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Edit: Solved it, look upon my foolishness if you wish.

So, uuh, I just reinstalled windows, and by mistake I set my video folder to the D:\ disk (it was supposed to be D:\Videos, moved from default location on the C:\ disk), and now I can't modify it in any way. This is the error message that shows up when I try to restore it to its original location on C:\:

And if I try to move it to D:\Videos, this shows up:

Anyone know what's up? If need be, I'll transfer all the files back to their backup and reformat again, but I'd rather avoid that if possible.

Edit: Well I hosed around for an hour and figured it out five minutes after posting this. I'd pressed yes to transfer all files while trying to move the folder location, all I had to do was press no, and it restored successfully. Never mind me!

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 10, 2019