Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Is there a desktop widget\program for Windows I can use to show the events from an iCal calendar? I use an iPhone\iMac\MBP and want them to all show my events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Diovanti posted:

I have four hard drives in my computer. How do I tell which ones are sleeping and which ones are active? I'm looking for a utility that will display sleep/wake status of all hard drives in my computer. I'm trying to cut down on some heat in my case and I have a suspicion that some hard drives that are rarely used are NOT powering down.

This does not work for me: http://superuser.com/questions/400213/utility-to-show-if-hdd-is-in-sleep-mode-for-windows

I may be wrong. I don't think HDs spinning up are causing enough heat to be a significant issue. I keep mine awake constantly and never have heat issues. I've got 3 in mine.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm looking for an application to download Podcasts directly to my PC in mp3 format for copying to a flash drive since I don't feel like carrying my only iPhone charging cable everywhere to listen in my car. Any recommendations for a good solid one?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm looking for a good photo management software. I loved iPhoto and I'm not too fond of how Picasa works. I also wondered if someone had a way to do syncing bookmarks across multiple devices (PCs\iPhone) without using Chrome. Ideas guys? I appreciate it

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Firefox has (much less intuitive) sync that works with mobile as well.

Sadly, there's no Firefox for iOS that I can find. Seems they pulled the app from the store.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Is there a good webcam chat? I've heard terrible horrible things about Skype and was just curious what the alternatives were

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Are there any programs that might help with changing my volume on individual programs faster? I currently have to either keep my mixer open or right-click volume to do it.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Mr_Angry posted:

I don't think this will work for me. To give more information I have a QNAP TS-419P (closest new thing is a TS-421) which is ARM versus x86 based and I believe they only have an x86 version of AirVideo Server for that. Besides, I worry about whether or not an on the fly conversion would overtax the 1.6 GHz CPU and given the relatively low number of AVIs that I have it'd be a longer term solution for me to just re-convert versus convert over the air each time. AVI is an old format; everything I convert anymore is MP4 so I'd rather correct then keep legacy around.

That and for QNAP at least I was able to just set up their already installed multi-media server, make a few symbolic links to where our 3 TB or so of content is stored and then with the free QNAP Mobile client for iOS it just worked for music, photos and video and my wife liked it. So, I'd rather just convert the 25% or so of my library I have in AVI yet if there is a way I can batch covert things over time.

Hopefully that gave more information into my situation and why I'm interested in a Windows based AVI to MP4 batch conversation if it exists.

Honestly, if you have a PC capable, I'd recommend Plex over conversion. It handles all of that for you and can pull the files from your NAS to transcode.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I have an odd issue. When I'm playing games and I'm on Ventrilo, the game audio overpowers Ventrilo every time unless I basically mute the game audio. If I put Vent louder than the game audio, it improves but I still can't hear. I've got the people maxed on volume in Ventrilo so I can't make them any louder without 1 loud one blowing out my ear drums. Ideas?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

c0burn posted:

Try fiddling with this setting

Just checked that. I'm actually on lower by 80%. I moved it to mute and I'll see how well that works. My mixer settings are weird though. Barely moving the volume on something changes it more drastically than it should.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Anyone have a favorite application they use for setting wallpapers on dual monitors? What I'm looking for is a rotating set on 1 monitor and the 2nd to always be just a black background.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Inspector_666 posted:

Do you only want that feature? I usually recommend DisplayFusion for dual-monitor stuff, but it's probably overkill for just setting backgrounds (even though it can definitely do that.)

I'm OK with a slight bit of overkill.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Ok. I'm looking for probably the impossible. I need an ebook application that has a non-WinRT and WinRT version that sync together. Basically, I want to be able to read on my PC and possibly later, read on my Surface. I've got the books on OneDrive so moving files won't be a problem.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Sri.Theo posted:

The Kindle app?

It has odd issues with recognizing books not bought at Amazon.

GreenNight posted:

Use Google Books? You can upload books to it and it syncs anywhere. That's what I use.

I'll give that a shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Any recommendations on an application to grab some drivers off a PC? I need an old driver that works and MS already replaced it in Windows Update with the newer one that isn't as stable.