Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Is it possible to reorder audio devices somewhere in the registry or something like that? I've tried literally disabling all audio devices except the one I want to use, and it still ends up often that games will have audio for cutscenes but not for the actual in-game audio, which I assume is different components of the game using different methods to select an audio device. My guess is DirectX audio device index 0 is still pointing at one of the disabled devices instead of the one not-disabled driver, and whoever made those games just selected device 0 as "the default". This impacts about half of the games I've tried since wanting my HDMI audio-out to be the one to use, including quite a lot of AAA games from like 10 years ago. (The game age correlation is why I suspect DirectX.)

Before I disabled the devices I don't want to use, I'd get cutscenes in my headphones then the game proper would start making noises out of the laptop speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Klyith posted:

If you are using HDMI output, what is that then feeding that into? Because there are many devices & receivers that have limited sample rate support, and my guess is that your decade-old games are playing low-sample rate audio (a common trick in old games before they had the CPU power to use better formats like ogg), and for some reason instead of being resampled through HDMI it's going to the more compatible sound card.
Ah, now I go into device manager, it looks like I disabled the audio outputs but not the drivers, so that might make the difference. But nope, disabling all the other drivers still has the same outcome.

quote:

This panel shows you what formats the HDMI supports:

Where do you find that panel? It looks like a device manager panel, but all my audio properties in device manager just have General/Driver/Details/Events tabs.
(Under either of "Audio inputs and outputs" or "Sound, video and game controllers".)

Edit: Ah, found it, obviously you get there by running "control.exe mmsys.cpl" because Windows 10 hides all control panels as hard as it can. Still no luck though. :(

Does seem likely it's the issue you suggest, HDMI has only supported sample rates 32.0, 44.1 and 48.0kHz. Maybe I can fix this by piping it through Voicemeeter Banana.

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 31, 2020

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

roomforthetuna posted:

Does seem likely it's the issue you suggest, HDMI has only supported sample rates 32.0, 44.1 and 48.0kHz. Maybe I can fix this by piping it through Voicemeeter Banana.
Haha, quite the opposite! I reinstalled Voicemeeter, made it the default output, made the Voicemeeter mixer redirect that default output to the HDMI, made some system pings to check all that was working, then tried running one of the problem games. Neither the cutscenes nor the game proper made any sound, then when I exited the game, system pings wouldn't make any sound either until I re-selected the output device in Voicemeeter, then sound would resume.

Repeated several times to verify that this is what was happening. Turned off "exclusive" for the Voicemeeter input. When the system pings aren't making any sound I can still see them raising an indicator bar in Voicemeeter's mixer.

I think the eventual conclusion is the HDMI device is just a bit poo poo, so I've plugged my headphones into the built-in speakers instead, which is a bit less physically convenient but at least it works. Thanks for helping me diagnose it better!

Edit: Oh, yeah, also in evidence for the HDMI device being poo poo, if I select the WDM output to HDMI in Voicemeeter when it's working, system pings turn into some kind of horrible clicky grinding sound like the ping played at half speed with randomly distributed stutters throughout. Whereas WDM to the laptop's own speakers sounds the same as the other kind of output.