Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roguestar
May 13, 2005

developers developers developers developers

A5H posted:

Just pre-ordered windows 7 for £44 at tesco :) UK goons should jump on this!

I'm pretty excited, my only issue is I have no idea how to format my boot drive so that I can do a clean install? Is there any simple guides out there at all?

The easiest way for you to format the drive for a clean install is to just drop the Windows DVD in and when it asks you which drive you want to install on, select the desired hard disk and instead of pressing the big install button in the bottom right, click 'Drive Options (Advanced)' underneath the drive listing. A number of new options will appear, just choose Format (go for NTFS if asked). Then once the drive is formatted, select it and choose 'install'! It's much streamlined in Windows 7.

Check out this guide
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1.htm
Pages 10 and 11 show you screenshots of the drive select screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roguestar
May 13, 2005

developers developers developers developers

Maneki Neko posted:

This may not necessarily be a Windows 7 question, so forgive me if it's retarded, but do I actually need to install Intel Chipset drivers in windows 7?

My machine is an older Core2 Duo, homebuilt with a P965 chipset motherboard.

Nope! It'll get what it needs automatically from Windows Update. I'm using a Core 2 Duo on the Gigabyte S3 965P motherboard with most likely the same Intel southbridge as you, and Windows 7 grabbed the most up-to-date 64-bit drivers itself while installing without asking me. All I had to install myself were my programs.