Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I need some advice on how to tackle a flatten and re-install. I've got an msdnaa copy of 7 pro x64 for my desktop, but I have a slight problem. I'm a member of a few private bittorrent trackers, and I want to make sure I can resume seeding all of the torrents (50-75ish torrents right now) right away when I get set up. I use the current version of uTorrent. Should I just write down what all my drives are lettered, back up the data files folder for uTorrent, do the reinstall, re-letter my drives and then drop the folder back in place?

I also got an x86 copy for my laptop. It's a dell latitude d820. Does anybody know if they have all the necessary drivers and such available for windows 7, or should I just upgrade that to the copy of Vista Ultimate that I have on my desktop now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Casao posted:

1) Back up the data
2) Back up the .torrent files
3) Format/reinstall
4) Set download directory, place data in download directory
5) Run torrents

uTorrent should run through a check of the files, determine they match the .torrent file and begin to seed. You lose your local %, but it's a lot easier than resetting drive letters and crazy stuff.

These files are all over the place though. They're on three different drives in almost a dozen directories. It would be an insane pain in the rear end to assign all those directories manually again in uTorrent.

edit: I should point out, there's four hard drives on this system. The only drive that's getting formatted is the smallest drive in the machine, my C drive. I don't want to move any of the other data if I don't have to.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

JoeCitizen posted:

If those are NTFS drives, make sure you use the same name and password as on your old install or be prepared for some permissions nightmare.

They are NTFS drives, and I always use the administrator account because it's less hassle, so that shouldn't be a problem.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

AlexDeGruven posted:

D820 should have a T7600 or similar processor. Unless you got a stripper model with a Core Duo, rather than a C2D, there's no reason why you wouldn't want to run x64 on the laptop as well.

I'm running x64 on a D830 (and did previously on an 820 before the dock connector went belly up), and all of my hardware works out of the box. The only thing missing (and I haven't checked to see if it might be there now) is the 64-bit software for the touchpad (to enable edge scrolling, etc).

It's only a core duo. No 64-bit sadly. It's 3 years old, so I don't think c2d was even available for them yet.

Also, what sort of "permissions nightmare" am I looking out for with my NTFS drives? When I reformatted to upgrade from Vista 32 bit to Vista 64 bit I didn't have any permissions problems with my drives.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

LooseChanj posted:

Worst case scenario, you get prompted to take ownership. And was said already, making an account with the same name and password won't avoid it. You'll just have to wait a minute there buster.

I won't lose access to anything though, right? Wouldn't the only folders I have permissions problems with be ones that were in the Administrator folder in Users? That's only My Documents and the backed up uTorrent folder.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Okay, I've got Win7 x64 installed, and everything's working great. Torrents moved over fine. I have one problem. When I save files to the desktop from Mozilla, they aren't visible on the desktop until I right click on the desktop and click refresh. Is there any way to fix this?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

No. 9 posted:

I really am liking 7, except for the fact that I have no flash support on my 64 bit browser. Firefox is really laggy/buggy as a 32-bit, I'm currently running a 64 port of Firefox. Any solutions? :(

Nuke your firefox profile and install the official version fresh. Firefox runs just fine in 64 bit windows 7.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I stopped following windows 7 news a while ago, but wasn't one of the features slated for the OS that all updates would be restart-free? Why does windows update still have "This may require a restart" warnings?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Antivir's running great for me.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Is there a way to make Windows Media Player look like it did in Vista? When it opens now it's just a window with the video display huge and the controls autohiding. I would like it to open with the playlist sidebar always open and with all the menus (File, edit, etc.) listed at the top.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

moolchaba posted:

Didn't see anyone post about this one yet, but I really love the Calculator Powertoy for Windows XP. Best calculator ever conceived for an OS.

Click here for the full 760x512 image.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and the best I can do right now is to load up a Virtual XP window to use it (which is overkill). The Win 7 calculator is just no match for the powertoys calculator.

Anyone found something equivalent or maybe know of a hack to get it to install and run with Win 7 (other than Virtual XP)?

Is this a joke? From the image that looks like the basic calculator everybody makes in Visualbasic in their high school Comp Sci class.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

moolchaba posted:

Everyone (minus you) knows about powertoy apps for XP:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx

I know all about powertoys. I used TweakUI all the time. The calculator still looks like poo poo.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Stanley Pain posted:

On the flip side I don't know why anyone needs anything other than MPC-HC :)

Because it doesn't play HD content very well without an outside codec. And it's not VLC, there are plenty of formats it won't play by itself.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

kode54 posted:

That certainly isn't the case if you have proper (read: Nvidia) video hardware for DXVA support.

If, on the other hand, you're cursed with old and/or crap video hardware, then CoreAVC is probably the best alternative.

I have an 8800gt. The framerate does not stay consistent unless coreavc is installed. Otherwise HD movies tend to start lagging occasionally.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
How can I get Stepmania running in XP mode? I need to run it in XP mode because there's no driver for my Playstation->USB adapter for Windows 7, and no working 64 bit driver at all. I was able to get it going in Vista 64 with the 64 bit XP driver, but that's not working on 7.

Anyway, I copied my whole Stepmania install over to my XP virtualmachine, but when I tried to launch it it said the drivers didn't support OpenGL or Direct3d. What do I do?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Stanley Pain posted:

I don't think you get any kinda of hardware acceleration in XP Mode.

If this is the case, does any body know any playstation to USB controller adapters that work with 64-bit windows 7? It's kind of frustrating to have a $100 game controller I can literally not use just because I wanted a modern operating system.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Casao posted:

My HK EMS2 works fine in Win7 x64 w/ the XP x64 drivers, joystick drivers haven't changed much, give it a shot.

I tried that (it's what worked in Vista), but I can't even get the pad to talk to Joy2Key, much less Stepmania directly.

Technogeek posted:

He mentioned Stepmania, so I'm assuming PS2.

Do the generic drivers not work for you or something? The adapter I have works fine using them, though going of this list it appears to be one of the ones that have the joystick axes problem.

What generic drivers?

It's a RedOctane Ignition2.0 pad and the HK EMS2 adapter.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Technogeek posted:

Generic as in "just plug it in, don't bother installing any adapter-specific software, and let hidusb.sys handle it".

Hahaha. No chance.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Stanley Pain posted:

Umm what? Yeah he shouldn't partition the 64GB SSD, but I sure as hell would partition a 1TB drive into OS and DATA partitions.

Why? There's still shitloads of apps out there that don't run properly if they're not in "program files" on the root drive, and making an "os" partition is just begging to run out of room for applications at some point.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I restarted my computer to install some updates, and now the bottom left corner of all my program shortcuts on my desktop are missing. that corner is just transparent now. It doesn't affect files on the desktop, just shortcuts to programs.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

fishmech posted:

All versions of Nero let you do that.

Wrong. Version 7 doesn't even give you an option not to install Scout.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

fishmech posted:

You're crazy or were using an OEM version. I've had Nero 7 and never had "Scout".

Nope, I bought it in a box. It doesn't install properly on Windows Vista or 7, but it certainly tries. It's not disableable anywhere in the installer. It's just happy circumstance that the taskbar is too different for it to hook into in Vista and 7.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I do not turn off, sleep, hibernate, or anything else unless I'm installing updates. Otherwise my computer runs continuously. It's been going strong for three years without any problems in this way. I figure the expansion and contraction that comes from the parts cooling off and heating up when turned off and on is more wear on it than running in a consistent state.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

mcsuede posted:

It's negligible either way, what's not is the energy costs. Do you hate trees?!

We use natural gas here, and it costs less to run my PC than it does to have a couple lights on.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
So when I first installed 7 I was kind of stubbornly stuck in my old win2000/XP habits, and as a result the only account on this computer is the Administrator account. Being more aware of the security features of 7 now, I want to start running as a normal user. Is it possible to convert Administrator into a normal user and create a new Administrator? Or is it possible to at least create a new user who will use Administrator's Users folder so I don't lose my desktop and such?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

madprocess posted:

As long as you keep UAC on you might as well be a normal user account. No account in 7 or Vista is given the same privileges as the Administrator accounts in XP/2000, IIRC.

I have UAC turned all the way up, but I have literally never seen a UAC prompt for anything, and I figured this was because I'm running as Administrator. I didn't make an Administrator account, I'm literally using the account named Administrator that is normally hidden.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

rolleyes posted:

I've actually lost count of the number of times I've seen people, both in this thread and elsewhere, complain that Windows 7 is just as bad as XP and they've been infected by malware and/or hosed up permissions and locked themselves out of something because they've purposefully un-hidden the admin account and used it for their day to day activities! For gently caress's sake people, the admin account is hidden for a reason and most of the sites which tell you how to reactivate it also say "this is a really bad idea". I don't know why people keep doing this with no thought to the consequences, other than the lingering "micro$oft making things difficult on purpose :argh:" sentiment.

There should really be something in the OP along the lines of "if you've got problems and you're running as the admin account then re-install Windows, use a proper account and only come back if you've still got issues."

edit:
That wasn't meant to be specifically directed at you mobn, just people in general who do this. Why?!

I did it because it was necessary to get anything done in XP and I was clueless about UAC when I installed 7. Now that I'm better read I obviously regret that decision. I'm sure it's the same for others. Consider that geeks are the same group of people who disable useful new things like the Awesomebar in Firefox because "it's not the way I'm used to".

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

madprocess posted:

Err, every account in XP/2000 had admin privileges by default, you didn't need to hack it to get to the secret hidden Administrator account they had.

I owned at least 3 games that wouldn't even install unless I was in THE Administrator account. Just making my account an administrator didn't work.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

FallenGod posted:

There's a very large difference between a game needing a UAC elevation for stuff like autoupdates to work, and a game needing to be installed on some hidden super admin account that you normally can't even get to.

I've never heard of any game or program that requires the latter.

On XP, not on 7. I'm saying the habit I learned in XP caused my poor decision with 7.

And for the record, one of the games was Morrowind. It didn't install half of the textures if you ran it in a regular administrator account, so you had to install from the Adminstrator account.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Oh, you misunderstood. I have mine set to 24 hours, so it should change it every 24 hours, right. But it doesn't. I have had the same wallpaper for 3 days now. So I was wondering if it has some weird way of determining how long it has shown the same wallpaper instead of checking the clock.

Make sure all the pictures in the folder are selected when you hit OK. It's not entirely obvious at first, but when you first open a folder of pictures in the desktop manager, they're all selected. If you accidentally click outside the box, or click on a single wallpaper, only one will be selected. You have to have them all hilighted for it to change between them.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

After installing Comodo Firewall I find that PopCap's Peggle Nights is apparently broken. I allowed it every permission that the firewall had but it would only go to a black screen with the disk activity light blinking with no way to alt-tab (haha, I'm gonna laugh every time I think of that key combination now) or ctrl-alt-delete out. So I say 'screw it' I don't like Peggle anymore and ignore. This morning I decide to try Plants v. Zombies and it does the same thing. What is the deal with PopCap software.1 I can run anything just fine with this firewall but PopCap games, anyone have experience with this? I'm thinking it's the Defense+ permissions but I allowed everything. v:downs:v

1 redacted for too Jerry Seinfeld.

Why are you running a software firewall?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

johndoe7776059 posted:

He is probably suggesting that there is no need to install a third party software firewall in Window 7, because the built in one works perfectly well.

This exactly. All a software firewall will do is throw annoying messages at you and accidentally block legitimate software from running, and any half decent infection will disable it or circumvent it anyway.

Also, I just uninstalled the very firewall you're using today from a student's laptop because it was preventing her antivirus software from starting up, and the block couldn't be disabled.

What the gently caress firewall interferes with the operation of a product as common as Symantec Corporate?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

drcru posted:

It was obviously just trying to protect the computer :c00lbert:.

The new corporate version of Symantec (Symantec endpoint protection) is actually really loving kickass and has saved us a lot of headaches with dumbass students.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Joe Don Baker posted:

Tell me how this is done. We use SEP at our uni and on our student's laptops and it seems to do dick all.

All I know is that we get updates like 6 times a day from them, and if the students' computers on on they get them, which has reduced the problems we've had to deal with to just the ransomware "ANTIVIRUS XP2000" type crap, which is trivially easy to remove these days.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

n0tqu1tesane posted:

You having any issues installing it on Windows 7 machines? We've been testing SEP11 MR5 on Win7 endpoints for a while, and it won't install unless you install an older version of liveupdate first.

We're using the same, and we do have to do some extra hoops to get it going on Windows 7. We're a small school though so this isn't a huge inconvenience for us, we only end up having to help people with it about three times a day.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Hung Yuri posted:

I've a few programs I think that I have to run at start.

mIRC
Steam
Pidgin
netmeter
tweetdeck
xfire
setpoint
cfosspeed
fraps
power supply program

You have to launch a screen recorder, multiple chat clients, and steam at startup? Those are all things you could easily just launch when you need them.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

dangerous.hotdog posted:

Digsby or Pidgin. Meebo if you want a browser-based one.

Meebo is all I use for chat any more. I've never installed a chat client that didn't gently caress up something or another horribly at some point along the way.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

chippy posted:

I was fiddling with this the other day - as far as I can tell the green bar is the actual volume and the grey bar is the "real" volume, i.e. what it would be if you had it at 100%.

100% of that bar is as loud as digital audio can go. All bits are 1's. This is known as digital full scale. If you try and boost digital audio any further than this you get clipping. So, my guess is that you are getting clipping (are you using a media player like VLC that has a volume slider that goes over 100%?) and either Windows or your X-Fi drivers is detecting this, and stepping in to prevent it by turning down the gain.

e: Just recognised the icon, that's Foobar isn't it, which has that ability. I'd try turning your gain/volume control down in Foobar a bit mate.

Wait, explain this to me more. How can loudness be restricted by the fact that it's digital or analog? Regardless of the format, all you have to do to make it louder is make the speakers vibrate harder.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Whenever I restart my computer, half my icons end up moved to the left side of the screen, and their bottom left corners are replaced with a black box. Xenomorph's rebuild icons script fixes the latter, but the former is a problem and it makes updating very annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Xenomorph posted:

Did you change Shortcut arrows by any chance?

No. I was wrong, it's not a black box. The bottom left quarter of all the icons becomes transparent. It's just gone. I'll try to get a picture on my next reboot.