Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
How does the upgrade process work? I'm going to go from 32 bit XP Home to 64 bit 7 Pro, so I will need to do a complete re-installation. Will it ask me to put my XP key in when I try to install it, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

Ignited posted:

You should really try reading the last two pages because that's basically what I asked.
It's not really what you asked, kapinga's answer is the kind of info I was looking for.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
I'm not sure where my CD or anything is for my copy of XP. I did find a program that lets you look at the registration keys for your installed MS products, however. When I upgrade from XP to 7, all I'll really need is the registration key - so this program should be sufficient, right?

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

univbee posted:

It's too early to tell for sure, but Windows Vista required that the OS being upgraded was installed, and earlier upgrade copies of Windows required the media but no key. So it could be different, but since they've never done it historically the odds are against you.
I still have XP installed and I use it. So based on what you've written here I should be okay, correct?

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

fishmech posted:

Microsoft changed the rules for 7.
So does this mean a few years down the road if I want to wipe my Windows 7 computer and do a clean re-install, or I get a new HDD and want to start anew, I need to re-install my old XP, then install 7 on top of it?

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
Is it known - if I am upgrading from 32 bit XP to 64 bit 7, thus having to do a clean re-install - can I clean install to a different HDD than the one XP was on, provided XP can see that HDD?

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

Beforan posted:

since you're clean installing anyway, you can install to any hard drive windows 7 setup can see ;)
Just to clarify - using the Upgrade version of 7 will allow me to do this, right? I currently have XP but when I use the upgrade to get me to 7, I'd like to put 7 on a brand new HDD.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
Just to confirm - I can upgrade from any version of XP to 64bit 7 Pro, correct? I know it requires a clean install etc., but as far as being authorized to do the upgrade, I can do XP -> 7 Pro

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
Installed yesterday (clean install, from xp 32 to 7 pro 64). I changed it so I dn't have to enter my password when I login - and my account was Administrator before - but now for some reason I'm showing as a guest account. I can't figure out how to switch it back so I have to enter my password - I did "switch user" and entered my password but my account is still showing as a Guest Account. I can't activate the built-in Administrator account b/c I don't have privileges. When I try to do stuff (like install a program or access certain things) it tells me "enter an administrator password" but there's no field to put in the pw I had before.

What's going on?

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

c0burn posted:

What did you do exactly
I forgot how I found it, I think it was from a lifehacker article or something. I typed something in the run box that brought me to a box I could check or uncheck that required or did not require the entering of a password at bootup. I unchecked it...and haven't tried anything adminny until this morning and now I can't do it, and I can't figure out how to fix it.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

Yossarko posted:

Is there any way to get rid of this default "blue" color in 7 ?
It may only be partially what you want, but - if you click the Windows Logo thing in Office 2007 stuff and go to "options" there's a way for you to change the color scheme to black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
Networking question:

I have a desktop with Win7, plugged directly into a Buffalo Router running Tomato. I have a D-Link DNS-323 plugged into the same router. I have an XP Laptop connected via Wi-Fi to the router.

When I go to "Computer" on my Windows 7 Desktop, sometimes I can see my laptop and the DNS-323 under "computers" on the network and sometimes I can't. I can't figure out why that is.

I mapped the D-Link to my Z: so I can access the files there whether or not I can see it as a computer on the network - but I want to get the sharing working right. What could the problem be?