Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Installed this Windows 7 RC build 7100 a few days ago and am having headache with the permission/security settings. Essentially it will not allow me to change the permissions of anything on the c:\ drive which holds the OS. I am logging in as an administrator, created another admin, created a standard user with full permissions and started up in windows safe mode to no avail. I have of course googled this but it mostly led to threads complaining about the issue causing them to be unable to patch/install their mmo's.

edit: I have also tried setting object permissions with no luck.

Levin fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

univbee posted:

^^ have you tried taking ownership of the files? Are these files you created before upgrading to Windows 7?

Edited the OP with some info about the Superbar, tray, and 7-zip integration, and did some general cleanup and re-wording of things.

I took ownership of the files before but that did nothing, specifically I cannot change the read-only setup for files/folders. The next option is partitioning the drive and a fresh install of the client.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

johndoe77760 posted:

Try taking ownership of the drive itself, then make sure you have full permissions for it.

I believe I tried doing that and there was no take ownership option for the drive, maybe it was because I was right clicking through window explorer and not the drive itself in my computer. I will try this again tonight and if not consider wiping and partitioning a drive solely for Win 7 RC OS.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

For some reason my administrator account is not recognized as an administrator, I am becoming incredibly frustrated at not being able to change permissions on anything on the installed hdd and am honestly considering a wipe, partitional and reinstall but don't know if that will solve anything.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

redeyes posted:

Have you turned off UAC? Have you taken ownership of the folders?

I have turned off UAC and set several different owners for the drive proper but none worked.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

redeyes posted:

Ok after you take ownership, check the permissions. You obviously want your username to have full permissions for everything, but also check CREATOR OWNER, because sometimes it is set to have no permission which somehow trumps.

I checked and I didn't even have CREATOR OWNER in the permissions, when I added it I couldn't set its permissions or even change some files since they were running such as:
c:\hiberfil.sys
c:\pagefile.sys

and some serials. I think I hosed with who was on the permissions when I first installed thinking I only needed my administrator/user

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

OK - so I formatted my hard drive and restarted using my Win 7 RC install cd. I was not able to figure out how to properly partition a drive to fit the OS so I just have devoted my primary hdd to the OS. I set my user account to have ownership of the c:\ drive excepting a few files it denied. I then set full control of permissions with the replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions for Administrators, SYSTEM, Users and Authenticated Users. I then attempted to uncheck the read-only option for the program files folder within but while it processed when I reopened properties for it the read-only option was checked again.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

redeyes posted:

I have no idea why this is so hard. For partitioning, you just hit next, the installer will do everything. After the install everything should be ready to go. If you really need admin access to everything, just turn off UAC right away, reboot and you should have correct permissions.

The options it gave me would have created partitions smaller than the recommended lowest settings for installing the OS. I have turned off UAC right away and I have the correct permissions but it will not allow me to complete the task. My current solution is just to install programs to my secondary hdd. Another possibility is my confusion between read-only folders and files since I have never used Vista.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Anyone else had issues getting Fallout 3 to run with the most recent build of Windows 7 RC?

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Since there doesn't appear to be a short questions thread for software I'm posting here. I'm running Windows 7 Professional on both PCs and I'm looking for remote desktop software that will allow for use of multiple monitors, preferably with the ability to adjust rotation so one is landscape and one is portrait.

I've googled and know that Windows 7 Ultimate or Server edition allow for this without anything additional. Some options I've seen are Slashtop, UltraVNC, RealVNC, TightVNC, SplitView, etc... but differentiating between them all is difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I'm running Windows 7 Pro and looking for a remote desktop program that allows for use of multiple monitors using different orientations (i.e. landscape and portrait). I have tried Go To My PC which unfortunately does not support this feature.