Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
Better off blaming nVidia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

bassguitarhero posted:

You can buy full versions of Windows 7 from the SAMart. I bought mine for $70, works fine in my Mac Pro. If all you're going to do is run a couple of old programs, though, then I would suggest XP for the lower overhead. I only updated to 7 to play more recent games.

If you can afford the 10gb of space for the OS, then don't listen to this fella and absolutely go Win7. It'll be at least as fast as XP.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Thanks. I wish Windows could do that itself though. Who actually wants whatever they are writing to have different formatting for quotations and stuff from other documents anyway? It's part of Windows' design I don't understand.

edit: openoffice doesn't even have paste as plain text as a context menu item or a hotkey...

Ummm basically 99% of people. The way you can move data across the Office Suite keeping all the formatting is a HUGE thing for me and practically every office worker I know... It's a bit annoying in IT but even so I *still* keep the formatting options as default and instead choose to "paste without formatting" when I need to.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
Anyone know of any sort of 'pretty' / gui alternatives to Robocopy? Specifically, I'm looking for a program that we can use in front of clients that's reliable and we can leave over the weekend without fear of it stopping (we regularly migrate 10+ terabytes between storage solutions).

So far I've seen SecureCopy by ScriptLogic (a Quest subsidiary) but the licensing model is loving ridiculous, you have to name the source and target server as part of your license, great lot of good for my needs >(

Apart from licensing that's exactly what I'm after...

Suggestions?

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

LoKout posted:

I've used both. I'd stay away from Richcopy unless you are babysitting it. It's an internal only product and has some nasty show-stopper bugs. Like it just will randomly fail to work and nothing you can do will fix it. Robocopy is solid and has been partially supported for years. It even comes with Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2. I personally have gotten used to the command line version and it really isn't that bad. The gui is just a script wrapper interface that writes the commands for you, but from what I've seen it only works with older versions (from Server 2003).

Yeah check this out:

Missing entire pages of settings (ie the tree only has Overview), ever seen that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
I've had a hosed up font file installed on like a gazillion PCs. Anybody happen to have a ready made batch file for deleting a specified font and then installing a new one?