Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Well there's InfraRecorder which is open source aka not shareware. Does everything I ever wanted from a burning app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Both hibernate and sleep mode won't work on my computer. I've got enough space on the system drive, but it just goes black for a brief moment before I'm greeted with the lock screen. powercfg /lastwake gives me zero. Any ideas?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
How can you configure separate display configurations for different user accounts on a Windows 10 system with an RTX 3070?

To explain the use case, this is a single computer that currently has three monitors connected. When I log in with account UserA, I would like Windows to enable monitors X and Y, and disable monitor Z. When logging in/switching to UserB, it should enable output on monitor Z and disable monitors X and Y.

Some preliminary web searches turned up MultiMonitorTool, so I did a bit of testing with that yesterday. I wrote a script for the UserA case, but trying to toggle back and forth always seemed to end with Windows losing control of everything but the first monitor (Windows' "display 1", which I referred to as "monitor X" above), and only being able to reenable the outputs through the NVIDIA Control Panel.

I'm not sure if my approach was sane to begin with, and so I figured I'd try asking for advice from someone with better Windows knowledge.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Klyith posted:

Windows display config is a system setting not a user setting, so this definitely requires extra software to do.

The standard response to "I want to do ____ with multi-monitor" is Display Fusion. I can't promise anything because I don't use it myself, but enabling & disabling monitors is something it can definitely do. You might have to buy the pro version since save & load multiple configs is not in the free version, but maybe not.

Yeah I've understood that quite a lot isn't configurable user level in Windows, but was hoping to add a trigger for this either as a scheduled task on login that will do the toggle or through some policy.

The reason why I mentioned the NVIDIA stuff in my post is that I thought it might be something about their graphics driver that makes this break, because after running my PowerShell scripts (just doing "multimonitortool.exe /enable" for the relevant monitor IDs), both the non-primary displays disappear from what MultiMonitorTool is able to see, and in the Windows "Display settings" they look like this:

It's only in NVIDIA Control Panel that I seem to be able to enable the outputs again.