Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Ok I'm having a weird issue. The RC is asking me for my activation key, but it is not accepting either 0 or 1 as acceptable characters. This is a problem, as both of those digits appear a lot in my product key. Does anyone know what is going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

xamphear posted:

A Microsoft product key is 25 characters long and looks like XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX and really doesn't contain any 1s or 0s (because they're too easily confused with o and l).

That's what Windows 7 says the product key is.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Where do I find the product key? I downloaded the ISO right from Microsoft's website, so I know it is a genuine copy.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm dumb. Microsoft's website is where I get the key.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 8, 2009

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Well I've got something weird going on. I started using the RC when it became available, and put it on an older harddrive. I left my XP install on its own drive which I had in the computer, in case the RC messed up.

With the RC running out in a few days I went and bought Windows 7. I formatted my XP drive, unhooked my RC drive, and then tried to install Win7. It didn't work. I got a message about bootmgr not being found. I thought it was odd, so instead I tried booting from the DVD.

This didn't work. I couldn't boot from the DVD. I'll get the "Windows is loading files" and then the Windows logo will come on, and then the screen will become Win7's blue background followed by the mouse cursor coming up. And that's it. I can move the mouse cursor around, but there is nothing to select.

Eventually I decided to hook my RC drive back up, boot from it, and install Windows 7 onto the old XP drive from inside the RC. This worked. Except I still can't boot that harddrive up because bootmgr isn't being found, and I still can't boot from the DVD.

I do have the option of picking which install of Windows 7 I want to use when I start my computer. The problem is they're both labeled Windows 7, and until I actually try to boot it up or repair it, I have no clue as to which one it is referring to. I've clicked the top option three times and the bottom option twice, and only once did I get the non-RC to boot up. From inside the OS I couldn't do any attempt at fixing the boot issue. Every time I've tried to repair the installation before booting it up, I get the RC.

I have absolutely no clue what is going on, and with the RC running out in a few hours I'm kind of worried. All equipment is internal, and the Win7 RC and Win7 installs are 64bit on a 64bit processor.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Swilo posted:

When do you get this message about bootmgr, before or after you've (partially?) installed 7? What were you trying to boot from if not the DVD since the drive was formatted?

You may have to leave it on that screen for a while, if there's disc activity let it keep running.

I actually got the bootmgr screen before I installed Win7. I had CD as my second boot option, because I recall from installing XP that if I have the disc in the disk drive, and a blank/formatted harddrive, the computer would automatically begin the installation process. When that didn't work I tried booting from the disk. At which point it did that thing it does. After that didn't seem to work, I booted up my RC and installed Win7 from there. Now attempting to boot using the harddrive with the Win7 release still gives me the bootmgr error. I can use the OS on the harddrive if I select my Win7 RC harddrive as the boot-up, and then I can choose which OS to use. The problem being they're both labeled Win7 and seem to switch the order they're listed in at random.

rolleyes posted:

How long did you wait? It seems that depending on the hardware 7's setup can hang at this point for a long time. Long time as in "I was setting up 7 on a relatively modern machine and it sat there for 15 minutes before proceeding."

I'm not sure what caused it exactly as the machine performed perfectly once 7 was actually up and running, it just stopped dead there for a while. I imagine it has something to do with the hardware discovery phase getting a bit caught up on something.

I've tried 10 minutes before, so I guess I'll give it 20 on my next attempt.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Swilo posted:

When you installed the RC, was your XP drive connected? It sounds like the MBR on it got overwritten to point to 7's bootmgr instead of XP's ntldr (which is normal behavior) but it's weird that your RC drive would also be bootable in that case. Is your XP drive disconnected when you boot the RC?

Either way, you can resolve the naming issue with bcdedit or use EasyBCD if you prefer a GUI.

I would definitely recommend giving your computer more time on the installation screen, it's not uncommon for it to require more than 10 minutes.

I believe my XP drive, and at least one (possibly two) backup drives were also connected when I installed the RC.

I reinstalled my new copy of Windows 7 onto the harddrive which wasn't working. It is now working properly and booting up fine.

The only difference I've noticed (and which could have been the cause of all the headaches) is that Win7 now recognizes the main harddrive as C: drive and the RC as D: drive, where before the Win7 was E: and the RC was still C:

Unfortunately now when the computer boots up I can hear those pleasant clicking noises from what I thought was my good harddrive. Joy. I'll most likely back everything up and then install over the RC.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Swilo posted:

So you just gave it more time and the installation continued?

Vista and 7 will call whatever drive the Windows directory is on C: regardless of the hardware order or any other operating system. This wasn't the problem.

Actually it is really weird. For some reason it began booting from disc after only about 4 minutes today.

My new problem is permissions for my storage harddrive. I was able to find a script that gave me ownership of everything, but none of the files are inherited. In order to use a file, I have to manually select that it inherits permissions from its parent object. Is there any way to quickly solve this problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

It recognizes me as the owner, but it won't let me open or edit most files. I can set each individual file to do it by going into advanced permissions and saying "inherit permissions from parent object". The problem is that when I go to do this to folders or the hard drive, I'm told that the computer can't access/edit/open some of the files. If I go and individually set the permissions to inherit permissions from parent object on that file, it works. But not if I try to do it from a folder or a hard drive.

I tried it again with the method you linked, and all that's done is put a little lock icon on the files I can't access. I've checked a few of them, and they all recognize me as the owner.