Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Gothmog1065 posted:

Dumb question:

I have two computers I've built myself, one for myself and one for my fiancee. They aren't the exact the same, but the operating system is. They're both Windows Home Premium 64 bit OEM. Now, my question is about some of the minor differences. I installed both of the OSes myself, and didn't make any real changes other than names.

The biggest thing I've noticed so far is mine doesn't have a "hibernate" mode, mine just has sleep. Hers has sleep and hibernate. Now my sleep does what her hibernate does.

Is there something I can check/modify to make them more of the same, and how did they end up different? Is it a hardware thing? (Mine is Gigabyte AM3 board, Athlon II x3 435, hers is a Biostar, Phenom II x2 555BE)

MS introduced "Hybrid sleep" mode in Vista (and 7), that has the computer write its memory to the hibernation (as if it were going into hibernate) and then drop into sleep. If the power is lost, the computer will wake up as if it were put into hibernate, otherwise it should just be asleep.

Your machine probably has it enabled (I think it is normally on by default), while your fiancee's has it off. You should be able to change one or the other in the power settings dialogue, somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Marinmo posted:

All programs -> Accessories -> Tablet PC

Or just type 'journal' in the start menu search.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

LooseChanj posted:

Pidgin supremacy.

Or Digsby.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Can you right-click on the icon and just tell it to turn off notifications? If that doesn't do it go in to the start bar propeties and under the tab notification area you can customize what is shown in the tray. You can set that icon to always be hidden by default.

I think he's complaining about the fact that the icon is wrong, not that it's there. In the shot, Windows knows he has an internet connection, but the tray icon says he doesn't. He wants it to be right so he doesn't have to go into network connections to verify.

I have no idea about how to fix it.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number
Well, I'm not at all familiar with group policy, but the first one does not include the word "automatic". Reading the description literally would indicate that it outright prevents the user from initiating a sleep command without first terminating the offending process.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Treytor posted:

How do I get Windows to stop opening my .m4a files with windows media player? I've done the obvious "always open with Winamp" dance, but it doesn't seem to want to stick :(

Three choices:
1) Right click on an .m4a > Open With > Choose Default Program > Select Winamp and make sure that "Always use the selected program to open this type of file" is checked

2) Open Winamp as an administrator (right click, open as administrator), then check the "always open with Winamp". This will be remembered in the future, even when you open it normally

3) Go to "Default Programs" in the control panel (or just type programs in the start menu search) and the click on "Associate a file type or protocol with a program", select .m4a, click change program and select Winamp.

Any of the three should work fine.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

VisAbsoluta posted:

I don't know what I did, but my library folders would show up like this:

And now it shows up like this:

How can I revert it back?

Right click on some empty space in the main field, go to Group by, and select (None).

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Funktor posted:

Well, I know all that (except for the drop-down lists). Here's the issue:

They don't have the same workers day-to-day. If they enter in the daily information that they get on the invoices, is there a way to combine that information nicely? In other words, if Jerry works Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday at three different companies, the enter in his daily information, and then when they go to concatenate the info for the whole week, they alphabetize by name, and now Jerry's got three lines. If they want to make it so that he's only got one line, is there some way to do that automatically, or do they have to manually copy & paste the info from those three lines onto one?

This is why I was wondering if some other software would do the job better.

And yeah, it seems simple to me too, but somehow explaining =SUM(A1:A4) to my mother took 20 minutes. She knows it now, but still...

I'm not sure Excel is the right tool for the task, but this particular instance might be taken care of with the sumif (or sumifs) function. As the name implies, it sums things together only if they match a certain criteria.

As an example, take column A as the names of each person, and column B as hours worked (or pay). If C2 is "Jerry", set D2 as =sumif(A:A,C2,B:B). This will sum together all the values in B where the adjacent value in A is "Jerry". You can repeat this down the line for all the employees. And there's no need to alphabetize either list!

Unfortunately, your problem with Excel will be figuring out how to automate each of their tasks. This will be especially difficult if your parents are the ones writing the script, as they'll need a strong grasp of several excel functions.

If you do stick with excel, my favorite functions for automating data processing like this are:
  • sumif/sumifs and count/countifs
  • vlookup and hlookup
  • match and offset (use the match as an argument to offset as a more versatile version of vlookup)
Also, it's not a function, but using dropdown lists to limit cell inputs rather than re-typing (or copy/paste) can make sure that these function work reliably.

Unfortunately, these are moderately advanced functions and can quickly balloon into ridiculously long and complicated cells. If you or your parents aren't feeling up to it, you should probably look around for real timekeeping software. I don't really have any suggestions there, sadly.

Edit: Feel free to PM me for specific questions.

kapinga fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 23, 2011

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Combat Pretzel posted:

So, why does WU in Windows 7 offer the option "Download, but let me choose when to install" for updates, then disregards that option and installs them anyway on shutdown?

Because you clicked the main "shutdown" link with the UAC badge on it in the start menu. That is normally standby (with no UAC) except when updates are pending.

If you want to shutdown or restart with pending updates (why? the main annoyance for updates is that the computer sometimes reboots) you can always click the little arrow and select what you want to do. I know restart and I'm pretty sure shutdown both don't run the installer when you do this.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Wagonburner posted:

How does windows 7 see and use ntfs permissions on a bootable os drive from another pc that is plugged in as a secondary drive?

I'm working on recovering some data from a laptop drive that went partway bad (halfway boots, screen goes black hangs, drive has started clicking a couple times.)

I have the drive plugged into my win 7 PC with a usb adapter, I opened up explorer and was going to copy the guys profile directory from the bad drive but it popped up a dialog "you currently don't have permissions to read this directory...something about grant your self permission" I clicked continue without thinking, it granted me the permissions and I can read the dir now. (copying from it currently)

I'm googling this and finding a lot of people having problems getting the permissions and how to manually set them (the link below) but that's not my problem, it's working for me I just want to know how to make it work differently.
http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/18693-you-dont-currently-have-permission-access-fold.html

What's bothering me about this is that is a whole lot of writing changing security info on thousands of file on a partially bad drive. It took about 5 minutes to get permissions done and I know writing to a bad drive decreases chances of recovery.

I've done this plenty on XP without ever seeing anything like that, xp seemed to ignore permissions on drives from other pcs in every case of me doing that at least. And really what good is having windows 7 start to enforce those permissions if it just gives you a chance to bypass them anyway?

Way to change that or should I just use an XP pc to do this type thing from now on?

Data recovery for me isn't exactly booting a linux bootdisc to make a forensic image and hex editing the files out of that, we have service level agreements with our client that the data recovery part of; I'm pretty sure I'm going above and beyond already. They're given the option to send it to pros who'll hexedit the gently caress out of their drive and cost center. Hell this post is probably 10x the :effort: my boss would want me putting into this.

The data that you updated the security info for was specifically files that you did not own and did not have permission for "Everyone" to read them. This is done with private user files so that (non-administrator) users of the computer cannot easily snoop on other user's files through explorer. (There are, of course, other ways in. If you want true privacy, you should be using encryption). You are able to circumvent this because you are an administrator, and can use that power to change the permissions directly.

The correct way to handle something like this is to use a disk cloning tool to clone the entire failing drive to another, known-working drive. If this is more effort than you want to take, then try browsing through an elevated command prompt. In the vast majority of cases, the system admin does have permission to view such files, in a manner that regular admin accounts do not. You would be able to copy the files of interest out and to somewhere safe before worrying about changing the permissions.

Edit: I believe you can even launch explorer.exe from an elevated command prompt, and it will run with full admin privileges all the time (no extra UAC popups, no need to "take ownership"). It's a handy trick when you know you're going to be doing lots of work in Program Files or Windows, and you don't want to deal with a million UAC prompts. Posted before testing, this doesn't work. You can still do these things from the command prompt directly.

Edit2: There are a handful of directories that not even the System Admin can browse (System Volume Information, and CSC (client side cache, used for offline files) are two that I can think of off the top of my head). If you really want to access the content of these directories, you should definitely image over the entire disk using a disk cloning tool (gparted, clonezilla, or something like ntfsclone on linux) before attempting to get permission to read these files.

kapinga fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 14, 2011

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Wagonburner posted:

Awesome this sounds like the winner.

Why didn't xp enforce permissions when reading another PCs drive though? I know xp didn't have uac (but we have uac disabled on our testing win7 image that I'm using.)

edit: on 2nd thought since we have uac disabled is an elevated prompt any different? I'm plugging in the drive again now to see if there are any other profile dirs I can try that out on.

I think (not sure) that using explorer in XP (as an admin) was exactly like running the elevated command prompt; you were actually browsing the computer as the administrator - you could do whatever you wanted and didn't have to ask anyone for anything. In Vista/7 you aren't really browsing as an admin - you're browsing as a regular user who can elevate to admin privileges only when necessary. It would be interesting to plug the broken drive into an XP machine and see what it let you do.

On your second point: you really shouldn't have UAC disabled, but that's another discussion. If you have suppressed the UAC prompts (like Win7 allows you to do with that little slider), what it's really doing is just automatically answering "yes" for every UAC prompt it would have showed - you still don't get admin privileges except when they are specifically requested. If you've actually hacked the registry to truly disable UAC then, well, you're on your own. Lots of things don't work correctly when you do that.

Edit:

quote:

edit: uac is actually on, used to be off. I'm seeing inside another profile dir fine from an elevated cmd but when I run explorer from the cmd it's still prompting me to grant permissions when I click the dir.

I might try running cmd as system then run explorer and see what happesn.

Yeah, I posted without testing - I was wrong on that. The command prompt itself is definitely elevated, but explorer will still ask for permission to do things like a regular user.

kapinga fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 14, 2011

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number
Christ guys, read the Win8 thread if you want to actually learn about Win8.

Yes, the desktop still exists in Win8 (and it will for the foreseeable future as long as Microsoft continues to maintain it's backwards compatibility business model).

What has changed is that the start menu is replaced with a full screen start page, with live tiles (a la WP7). This is... controversial, to say the least, but given the incomplete nature of the Developer Preview, it doesn't make sense to form strong opinions based on the experience of using it.

Within this Start Page context, you can run new "Metro" apps, which are centered on being touch- and tablet-friendly. It is these Metro apps that do not support much multitasking. They are always full screen (on the primary monitor), but can be pushed into a ~1:4 split-screen with one other Metro style app.

This does not mean that MS is depreciating the desktop. The desktop still exists, as do the Win7 window management shortcuts, and they've even extended the start bar to span all screens. Furthermore, much of the "power user" stuff (read: task manager, extended copy dialog) for the desktop (and not Metro) has been revamped to be significantly more useful and user-friendly (this coming from the b8 blog).

It is pretty clear that MS expects desktop users to stay in the desktop most of the time, and only use the start page as, well, a start page and quick status update. They are also attempting to enable tablet users to mostly live in the Metro UI world, but be able to drop into the desktop when a mouse and keyboard are present.

It's a neat idea, but I'm not convinced they've gotten it quite right. The start screen as it exists now is quite jarring (the green they're using doesn't help), and it blurs the line a little too much between Metro and desktop modes. If MS more clearly delineates between "Metro" and "desktop", without making it arduous to switch between them, I think they have a chance to make a product that actually allows a smooth transition between an iPad and traditional PC desktop experience.

Edit:

Toast Museum posted:

The desktop is still there (posting from it right now :c00l:), but the impression I get from Microsoft is that they consider it "legacy."

This is what I don't get. There's no real signs that the desktop is "legacy", merely that it clearly doesn't work very well for tablet users - which was the focus for the developer preview. The Building Windows 8 (b8) blog has focused as much on desktop enhancements as on Metro things.

MS is trying to make an OS that both acts as a tablet and a desktop. This means the "tablet" mode needs to be full screen, with minimal resource usage (minimize multitasking) and apps provided from an app store. The desktop is the same as Win7, but they're playing around with the start menu - which is good because the start menu is a terrible UI that is almost exclusively used for search now.

kapinga fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 11, 2011

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

mindphlux posted:

I guess this looks promising, but I don't have a machine to test it on

http://hddguru.com/software/2006.04.13-HDD-Wipe-Tool/

There aren't any tools that can wipe the system drive (C:) while Windows is still running (you can delete non-system files and wipe empty space, but there's still a lot that can't be touched while Windows is running). A CD with DBAN is probably as good as it gets; you might have to walk her through the process over the phone if all else fails.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

MisterBibs posted:

I'm looking for a sound editor. There's tons of em, and I'm kinda picky / want the best bang-for-my-time one, so I figured I'd ask here as part of my preliminary research:

I'm looking for a solid sound-editing software for something. Something I can load a waveform, see the whole thing visually, and select parts and change how it sounds / etc. Ideally free, or something that I can use without nags or feature loss during a trial.

Audacity is the goto freeware application for this kind of thing, usually.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Mak0rz posted:

What idiot on the Dropbox development team decided it was a good idea to not allow users to sync non-Dropbox folders with it?

I'm interested in doing this. Googling tells me that a symbolic link is the way to go, but unfortunately symbolic links don't necessarily do what I want. Basically I want to sync non-Dropbox folders to update when files and folders are added and modified, but I do not want it to do the same when files are deleted. This is similar to SyncToy's "contribute" method.

Symbolic links also sync deletions, so I was wondering if there is a way to make them stop doing that (or, likewise, use another method to get what I want in Dropbox)? This isn't necessarily urgent but it would be nice to have that functionality. Otherwise I can deal with it (I run a SyncToy backup regularly anyway). I realize that symbolic links are "doors" that open to the same files on your hard drive, so this might not be possible.

Related question: Do symbolic links complain when folders are renamed/moved?

Dropbox does not do "contribute" style syncing, it's not designed to work that way at all. Symbolic links don't really have much to do with that.

Edit: Yes, you are correct, a symbolic link is a "door" from one file to another. If you make a symbolic link to a folder, then navigating to any file within the linked folder is exactly the same as if you had navigated there from it's "real" path.

If you did individual symbolic links to files, I'm not sure what dropbox would do on deletion, but it wouldn't work very well anyways.

You could try removing delete privileges from the folder you're trying to contribute to, but I suspect Dropbox will barf or re-upload the files it can't delete.

kapinga fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 25, 2012

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Sab669 posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but you just mean so that it will vertically span the height of your monitor? Applications generally tend to remember their "position" when you close them so I'm not sure what you mean.

The only application I've seen that tends to jump around on its own is Yahoo Instant Messenger, which is absolute poo poo in many ways.

If you lock the height of a window by resizing the title bar up to the top of the screen (or pressing shift+win+up), it will be forgotten when the application is restarted. Not sure why or how to fix it, but it definitely happens.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

C-Euro posted:

Is there a free, quick and dirty program out there where I can draw a couple lines on a picture and calculate the angle between them?

For measuring pictures, ImageJ is a really good option. Designed for by the NIH for scientists, it's free and used extensively by people who need to measure things in pictures for a living.

http://rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Why are you using Filter and not Sort? In my experience, which granted has been on smaller spreadsheets, it orders the rows in the entire selection, so J120 moves around with K120 and things aren't disturbed.

If disturbing things is your goal, then I'm at a loss. You might need to rewrite with crazy vlook functions or something to tell Excel how to find the rows you want as things slide around.

I think he is using sort, as filter doesn't change the order of displayed items or references.

The problem is that references on the same row will work fine, but references to other rows will not. I honestly don't know how to fix it easily. Sort really isn't designed to work very well when the rows reference each other.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

IT Guy posted:

I don't use CCCP myself, but for him it might be wise. I install FFDshow manually. I use foobar for managing music. Media Player Classic for watching movies.

For the average music library, the built in codecs on Windows/baked into Foobar will absolutely cover all your audio playing needs.

Movies are another story, but usually that implies :filez: or roll-your-own DVD backups, neither of which are something that "everybody" should be concerned about. That said, if it is a concern, CCCP and MPC are OK choices.

Same with ImgBurn: more features, but Win7 can burn images and create disks from files, so basic users aren't as likely to need its more advanced features.

Install Gentoo posted:

Noone should be installing random software "just because". It's kinda weird that people actually ask what they should install as if there's a single group of programs everyone needs.
For a variety of legal and cultural reasons, there are a number of basic utilities that are not included with a bare Win7 install. A PDF reader, Flash, real anti-virus, and most likely an alternate browser are things that most "basic" Windows users need that aren't included out-of-the-box.

To bowmore, you may have noticed that the answers in this thread are self-selected towards more advanced/configurable(/ugly) software than your friend necessarily needs. Without knowing more about their computing habits, its hard to make recommendations beyond the very basics: Microsoft Security Essentials, a PDF reader of your choosing (all listed here are OK; there's no such thing as a great PDF reader), Flash, and their favorite browser (not Safari...).

Edit: Chrome already has Flash, so if they go with that you don't need to bother with a manual install - good for security.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

NihilCredo posted:

Both of those were tips that used to have some effect back in the XP days, when memory management wasn't nearly as efficient, particularly towards the end of its cycle when hardware picked up and huge RAM sizes became the norm.

Since I don't know whether Vista's management is closer to XP's or 7's (I skipped that one), I'm figuring it might be worth a try, since if there's no performance improvement it just takes a reboot to go back to the default configuration.

It's closer to 7. Vista is NT 6.0, "7" in NT 6.1. Although there were some under-the-hood changes made in 7, most of the big stuff was actually changed in Vista.

Toast Museum is right, don't mess with it. Maybe check that the page file is set to automatic, or at least 1/2 your page file, but I wouldn't do more than that.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

peepsalot posted:

I know I can use grep from cygwin or whatever command line poo poo, but why the gently caress can't I just do it from within windows explorer where I've already pulled up the directory that I'm interested in?

Shift + Right click > Open command window here

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Mak0rz posted:

Really? Am I able to send emails as <other account>? I don't want my students knowing my gmail address.

This is important as well.

Thermopyle posted:

Yes.

If you do this, every student who uses Outlook will know your Gmail address. All your emails will have "personal@gmail.com on behalf of Your Name <yourname@work.edu>" in big letters at the top of every email.

Sadly, I don't have a good recommendation for you about your other requests.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

mowhonic posted:

I'm looking for something with at least a few days of forecast.

I use the Weather Underground gadget (http://www.wunderground.com/download/vista.asp), if you expand it down it will show the next three day's forecast (and it stays that way over reboots)

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

kri kri posted:

Best thing I have found lately is the $100 family pack amazon had. I usually have a couple people who don't mind getting a $30 copy of 7. If you can be patient I would just set up an alert on camelcamelcamel and get a notice when 7 goes on sale.

I think if you are actually at a school you can get licenses for free essentially. It's a student license that requires you to uninstall your copy when you leave school - is this still the case?

The MSDNAA program is only for schools that offer it. In addition, some schools only offer it to the EE/CS programs (like my undergrad did. I actually took one semester of Java to get a free copy of Windows, among other things). There are yet other schools that have negotiated their own licenses directly.

If you haven't heard of the MSDNAA, you should definitely try to find out if your school participates. Does anyone know of a reliable way to check which institutions participate?

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

stubblyhead posted:

Bear in mind that even as the owner of a folder you may not have the same access to files as your user account on your old computer did. I've had issues with restoring stuff from online backup where my old SID had full control, but my new one couldn't do poo poo. I got it squared away with some powershell stuff, but there may well be an easier way to do it.

Once you have ownership of the folders and files below, you have the ability to change the permissions on the files, even if you can't read the files themselves. This can be done through explorer, and I'm sure there's some command line command to change the ACLs of files recursively but I don't know what it is.

But you are correct that taking ownership alone does not immediately get you access to your files.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

HalloKitty posted:

I wouldn't go that far, since SMART values are never totally meaningful, but you don't need the excuse of a hosed drive to get an SSD.

No really, his drive is in trouble. Specifically he has 42 reallocated sectors. I believe Google released a White Paper several years ago that indicated that any reallocated sectors at all dramatically increases the chance of total failure.

I'd definitely backup your data (and keep it up-to-date), and be prepared for a drive failure at any time. If that means buying an SSD now, go for it.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Toast Museum posted:

They did. It's in Windows 8.

To extend this, legal issues are why save to PDF wasn't installed with Office 2007 (you had to download a separate MS-written plugin for that). I assume the same applies for why there's no PDF reader in Win7 and earlier.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Toast Museum posted:

Not that I've seen, but I haven't tried the release preview.

Nope, there's just the Metro one. Whether or not that's "largely useless" depends on how deep your burning hatred of Metro is. For static documents, it's worked fine for me so far.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number
If you have files using NTFS encryption, make drat sure that you've backed up the key and/or unencrypt them before doing the reinstall.

Everything else you can fix later, but if you don't do this it could be painful to impossible to recover.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

StickFigs posted:

Okay what kind of stuff is NTFS encrypted?

If you don't know, you don't have it. These would be files that you explicitly went out of your way to encrypt. By default, they show up green in explorer.

I use it for some of my financial documents, so it came to mind while we were talking about it.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

jackpot posted:

I've scoured this thread and haven't found any great answers yet - are there no cheap alternatives to Acrobat Pro? My wife needs something that'll let her create PDFs from Office files, delete/extract pages, merge, etc. Hasn't anyone come out with something that does that yet, for less than $350?

You can create PDFs directly from Office 2010, and with an MS-produced add-on in 2007.

I can't help off the top of my head on the others though.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

KoRMaK posted:

edit: Now I kind of want to know what the other 3 locations were so I can add them back.

By default that library has your profile's My Documents and the Public Documents ("C:\Users\Public\Public Documents") folders. I'm not sure what the other locations would be if you didn't add them yourself.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

univbee posted:

Not sure what the future of this thread will be but I gave the OP a long-overdue update and cleanup.

You should note that shsc.info has also been abandoned and the link now points to a domain landing page.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

SaucyLoggins posted:

I have a hard drive setup like this:
[Mac OS X: Primary Partition][Win7: Primary, Boot]

I want to delete the first Mac OS X partition and resize the Win7 partition to take up the full drive. Is it possible to resize backwards in the Win7 Disk Manager or anything like gParted?

Or should I just format the whole drive and reinstall?

gParted can do this, but it will do so by copying all of your data from one location on the drive to a different location. It's very slow, and you definitely want a backup if you value your data or your windows install.

Windows disk manager cannot do this.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

GreenNight posted:

It's already out. I use it at home and in the office.

There's a beta out publicly and the final release is available on Technet/MSDN (I think? I don't have it), but Wikipedia says the final version is not going to reach "general availability" until Q1 2013 (now through end of March).

slidebite posted:

When is office 2013 due? I need to take a university office course, but want to make sure I enroll before Office 2013 becomes necessary software.

What do you mean by "necessary software"? As far as I can tell, it'll be 5+ years before Office 2013 could possibly be considered necessary over 2010.

Edit: Oh I get it now. Seems like it would be a dumb decision to require Office 2013 right as it's released for such a course.

kapinga fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 9, 2013

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

slidebite posted:

I didn't know it was out already. :aaa:

And yeah, the U seems to change the required software pretty quickly. The change from 2007 to 2010 was with virtually no notice shortly after launch (its an online course, so it's not like they wait until the end of a semester to migrate). I'd better sign up soon then as I don't want to have to blow the money for 2013 just for a course.

If the course is short enough, you could also probably use a trial version of 2013 and then revert to the copy of 2010 that you have when it's done. Right now there's a 60-day trial available, which starts when you activate it. I can't guarantee that this exact trial program will continue after GA, but there's usually a 30-day trial of Office, and with 2010 there were ways to extend that significantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

SlayVus posted:

I actually just did a system verification scan on the array using Intel Storage Matrix software last night. Came up with zero errors, took over three hours to complete...

Its not anything important. 250GB alone is Steam, I got like 2GB in my downloads just for C&C when Westwood Studios gave it away a year or two ago. Most of everything on my PC is games.

People are telling you to put your stuff somewhere safe because if any of your 3 hard drives fail, you will lose 100% of what you've stored on all 3. Really. RAID0 is bad idea, RAID0 over 3 drives is trying to lose all your data.