Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
How long did it take for window 7 to boot up the first time? I just installed it and it seems to be frozen at startup, I got passed the boot screen but now it just says "windows 7 Evaluation copy. Build 7100" in the bottom right corner of a black screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

OMGWTFJohnny posted:

The installation itself took me about 3 hours but once it installed it started up like normal, iirc. Try rebooting?

Rebooted three times now, I'm going to reinstall to see if that fixes it. It installed in less than an hour, rebooted itself, gets passed the startup screen and then just hangs on a black screen. This is a x64 install too if that changes anything.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Does it take its sweet drat time to get through the startup screen?

How much RAM do you have?

4 gigs of ram, it gets through the startup screen really quickly then just hangs on the black screen with the little info I mentioned in my first post in the bottom right corner of the screen. I'm reinstalling it now hopefully it will fix whatever was wrong.
EDIT: I'm a retard and forgot that I setup my TV as a second monitor, which for some reason defaulted to my main monitor.

EpicNemesis fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 30, 2009

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

angryhampster posted:

I've never purchased an "upgrade" OS before. If I buy the home premium upgrade, will I be able to do a fresh install in a new partition, or does it HAVE to be upgrade from Vista/XP?

On a related note if we buy the upgrade but are currently using win7 rc do we have to format install vista, then install window 7 again or do you think we will be able to go straight from the RC to retail.
EDIT: unrelated note, how do I disable the user select screen