Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

duomo posted:

Does the win+x menu still work in 10 or has it been remove due to the return of the start menu?

Still worx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

jkyuusai posted:

They added back moving windows across monitors with the keyboard. Thank loving god.

Windows key + shift + arrow

Other shortcuts here:
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2014/10/03/keyboard-shortcuts-in-the-windows-10-technical-preview/

Yeah, it was kind of baffling that it wasn't included from the get-go...it's a killer keyboard shortcut for me.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Lblitzer posted:

Windows 8 does not use product keys for OEM machines. The number is built into the BIOS but I'm not able to figure out where to get a copy of Windows 8 Pro but also not sure if it would work because it didn't come preloaded.

You should be able to retrieve your key using the steps in this link: http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-retrieve-windows-8-oem-product-key-from-bios/

And then use this link to download Windows 8.0: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

Once you've upgraded with that key, you should be able to install 8.1 with no problems.

I did exactly this with a Lenovo laptop a couple months ago and it worked like a champ.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Read posted:

More like windows 10 is a pile of garbage.

Windows 10 is a really good pile of garbage.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

ExecuDork posted:

How do I re-assign the drive letter of my USB-connected external harddrive?

I have an external drive I keep my photos on, a 1-TB Seagate I bought about 18 months ago that normally shows up on my laptop as F:\
My laptop is running Windows 7, and nothing has been upgraded or changed other than the usual system updates (and I don't think a big one has come in for a while) for at least a month.
Yesterday I plugged in the external HDD and it showed up as G:\ This wouldn't matter except my backup program, iDrive, is used to seeing all those files in folders on F:\ and tried to re-upload 800 GB last night as all-new material; this morning it was only 12% finished after 16 hours.

I can't find a way to change the drive letter assignment but I'm not sure where to look. Thanks in advance!

If you go to Disk Management, you should be able to right-click the drive and change the drive letter.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Beyond that, it looks like Vietnam uses 220V anyways.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Might not be the right place to post but:

Does anyone know of a good program to use Twitter on a PC and/or browser other than the main site? Over the weekend, they've made the timeline unreadable and I get 2-3 "liked by USER" tweets for every actual real-time tweet. I use TweetBot on my iPhone but they don't have a PC version.

Tweetdeck

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Mark Larson posted:

How about all the pictures of street signs. Betcha your precious Google can't handle that :v:

More seriously, given Google's propensity to kill off software people like, I wouldn't count on google Photos being around forever, or require egregious permissions at some point to data mine all your photos and OCR your receipts just to continue giving you the ability to do basic ABC on your photo collection. Call me a luddite but if there's one company I don't trust, it's Google and Amazon.

If there's one company I don't trust, it's two companies.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Yeah you can do something like this in Notepad++:

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I have used this utility in the past: https://github.com/stascorp/rdpwrap

Obviously not MS-supported, but worked well enough for my dumb lil HTPC situation.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

space marine todd posted:

I want to start with a completely clean install of Windows 10, but I don't want to lose my applications and the preferences/data for those applications. Is there an application that lets me save and back just those things up? I think most of these things live in AppData or something?

I already have all my personal files on Google Drive so I don't care about that.

Isn't that a textbook use case for the "Reset this PC" option in Win10 settings?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Looking for a better way than the file system to manage my iPod classic that I've recently resuscitated since it's dead as far iTunes is concerned. I got Rockbox up on it and started using Strawberry, but devices don't seem to be supported on Windows.
Edit: Also Foobar wants it to be formatted with the default iTunes library.

Not sure if it still supports classics, but try MediaMonkey?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

The Joe Man posted:

I downloaded the .exe and ran it and it didn't do anything as far as I can tell.

Any other program suggestions that don't require typing poo poo into a command line to download a simple video? Is Replay Media Catcher still around and up to date?

EDIT: I appreciate the suggestion but I don't think it's what I'm looking for.

EDIT X2: Newest version of Replay Media Catcher worked great. Thanks!

https://mrs0m30n3.github.io/youtube-dl-gui/ if you're not a command-line person.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Oscar Wild posted:

Sorry if this isn't the right place but I'm due to get new anti-virus software for a windows PC. I've been using ESET and was wondering if that's still a good choice or if switching to Kaspersky is a good choice. Kaspersky allows me to have more devices at a lower cost which I'd like. Any pros or cons to either?

The only thing you're gonna hear from this thread is "uninstall all third-party AV and just use Windows Defender"

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I was always a fan of MediaMonkey.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
New Terminal Preview has a settings UI: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-terminal-preview-1-6-release/

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Internet Explorer posted:

uBlock Origin, I believe

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Fame Douglas posted:

7zip is open source and fast (supports current CPU extensions), everything I need. It also integrates well into the Windows Shell, which means I primarily use it through the right-click menu (also, if you're annoyed by the two-stage right click menu of the Windows 11 Explorer and want to revert it to Windows 10-style, get http://startisback.com/tbd/)

Nice, thanks for the SIB link. The right-click menu has been unexpectedly enraging.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

powderific posted:

I’ve been very happy with backblaze. Feel kinda guilty about how much I’ve got backed up for the price. Only thing I don’t like is you have to keep external drives connected like once a month.

Yeah Backblaze B2 is great, cheap, and I can set up scheduled pushes from TrueNAS to keep things backed up without having to think about it.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

FuzzySlippers posted:

I want to be able to easily view all files on other computers on my local network in explorer without having to share individual folders and such. Is there a way to do that? They are all linked to the same outlook account if that makes any difference.

I don't care about security at all I'm just looking for convenience.

something like \\computername\c$ ?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Yeah at this point I'd just use Windows Terminal and your distro of choice on WSL2.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
The Windows and Windows Software Megathread: There's a Nirsoft app for that

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Echophonic posted:

I'm using StartAllBack and it's got a few weird behaviors. First, it doesn't index the Control Panel right, I have to type out the whole thing if I want to get to Add/remove or whatever. I also can't seem to find Calendar. Wanted to set up my Google calendar sync and it's nowhere to be found.

Any ideas? I know a bunch of people use StartAllBack.

The dev is extremely active on this forum thread: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183013-startallback-for-windows-11

You might find answers/be able to file a report there.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I use FF Nightly on my phone, because it allows pull-to-refresh, and (I think) is required to be able to install arbitrary add-ons. I deal with a little jank every now and then but otherwise it's great.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Ynglaur posted:

CPU usage is fine. It only stutters when someone else joins - it seems fine in Synapse, in Teams in a meeting in which I'm the only participant, etc.

Are there any utilities to measure Thunderbolt throughput?

Edit: drat. I plugged the camera directly into a spare port on the laptop (had to move the camera), and it seems to work fine. Do USB hubs go bad? The one in the Core X Chroma is about 3 years old.

I never had good luck with either the USB hub or the ethernet port on the Core X Chroma. On Windows, the ports were OK most of the time but flaked out occasionally in the way you're seeing. On Linux, the ethernet would straight up drop connection every minute or so for about 10 seconds. I stopped using those ports soon after buying the enclosure, which was a massive bummer.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Ynglaur posted:

I actually have a solution to the Ethernet issue! After USB-to-Ethernet adapter setup, set "Interrupt Moderation Rate" to "Disabled" of ASIX AX88179 USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter. You can do this through Device Manager. I had the same symptom, and that configuration change resolved it.

If the USB hub is just flaky, do you have any recommendations for a good USB-C (or Thunderbolt, I suppose) hub that plays nicely with audio and microphones? My current laptop has two Thunderbolt 4 ports; one goes to the eGPU, of course.

Wish I'd known sooner! I ended up selling it earlier this year cause of those issues. It was super cool when it worked (and the eGPU side always worked flawlessly) but too frustrating on a daily basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Man with Hat posted:

Windows 11 is grouping my windows into groups in the task bar based on parts of the monitor they take up so if I use win+left to set Chrome on half my schreen and win+right to put teams on the other half, now when I hover over either icon in the taskbar there are all the individual windows but also a Group | *stuff* option that pops up. Can I turn this off somehow?

Not at a Windows PC right now but check out Settings->System->Multitasking, I think it might be in there.