Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Aeka 2.0 posted:

My PS3 is no longer seen by WMP.

When I had Vista and WMP11 I was able to stream media with no problems.
I've since upgraded to 7 with WMP12.
After turning on streaming and sharing, the PS3 is not listed in devices to share nor is it listed as an "unknown device." It just isn't there anymore. The ps3 also can't see any media sharing service. I've uninstalled my virus program and also turned off the windows firewall. I've made no changes to the network. The only thing that changed was an upgrade to windows 7. What gives, ive spent hours and hours trying to get this to work again but they just won't see eachother. I'm going mad.

I had to turn on Homegroup sharing in Windows 7 before my 360 would see my stuff - it's different to Vista's way of showing stuff. Try turning on Homegroup sharing, then open up WMP and tell it to stream your media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Mannequin posted:

This bothers me tremendously. Why should I have to "take ownership"? What the gently caress does that even mean?

But seriously, I can't take enough of this, I've had enough for one night. I want to get into installing software and getting on with my actual work. I think I've worked out MOST of the problems I was having. Thanks for all your help guys.

My understanding is that basically taking ownership signifies that this is a folder you wish to apply the same access/edit rights as your Windows user account. I own this folder, let me do what I want when I want inside this specific folder YES I know I shouldn't but I want to - as opposed to XP, where you and any software under the Sun could merrily vomit files and folders into Program Files, for example.

Really, most of the 'new' stuff in Vista & 7 is just retraining stupid stuff out of muscle memory from the XP years. *smack* Don't turn UAC off, *smack* turning off Aero doesn't increase performance, etc. etc.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

This is probably the most retarded question ever but I can't figure it out. In Windows 7 checkboxes seem to have three states: unchecked, checked, and filled with a blue square. What does this mysterious third state indicate?

e.g.

[] Option 1 - gonna make me a sandwich:
------[] Option 2 - with extra bacon
------[] Option 3 - containing lovely artery-clogging grilled cheese

In :chef:'s case above, checking option 1 would automatically check options 2 and 3. Checking only one of the variables - in this case, options 2 or 3 - means option 1 is only partially true, which is represented by the blue filled-in square.

The existence of related variables is unclear in your screenshot, which is Poor Design on the part of the GUI dude. Bad juju. :mad:

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've got a video encoded using the Motion Pixels codec that I'd like to re-encode into something more ipod compatible - I've tried runing it through SUPER and Videora Ipod Converter, and both error out without even starting.

I've got the Motion Pixels codec installed on my machine, so it can be played through WMP. Any thoughts?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

-Blackadder- posted:

Still, can my measly 1.80GHz handle Windows 7?

I'm running Windows 7 just fine on a 1.8GHz, 2GB Vostro 1000, which was bargain-range back in 2006. Pretty much every new computer out there comes with Windows 7 as standard, though, so I'd spend a little extra and get a nice new machine to go with the new OS.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Maybe it's just because I upgraded from Windows 7, but my Libraries are right here and fully functional.

I really, really hate how these aren't Library links:

No way of removing them, or even at least hiding them, either.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Read posted:

I don't get the point of libraries, ostensibly they're to group folders together without that being the directory structure but they're all for filetypes that you would already naturally group together under one directory. Do people really have media scattered in enough locations on their drives that a library helps? Is it for people with multiple drives? I'm probably missing something obvious, they're just a nuisance to me.

If they replaced these with Libraries, I'd be happy as a clam; but for now they're just useless as I don't use the \user\Documents folders. You can move them, but they still don't have the Library meta-folder ability to pull in content from all over the place. They can't be hidden or removed, whereas the Libraries are now hidden by default because ???.

[e] 'because ???' sums up quite a few Windows 10 design choices, I think

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there an alternative to MS Office besides uploading everything to Google Drive and editing it there?

Office Online - i.e. browser-based Word, Excel and PowerPoint - is free, and works in almost exactly the same way as the desktop versions.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

Best way to fill out scanned forms?

Best solution I ever found was to fiddle with the Comment options in Adobe Reader; this was for the corporate, half-way permanent kind of 'yes, we still own [complicated parts serial numbers], I'm looking at them right now' setup, though. Scan a blank form as a PDF, plain text overlaying the UPPERCASE BLACK INK ONLY fields, file->save as, print off every twelve months.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

stevewm posted:

The Draw program included in Libreoffice can open and edit most PDFs, assuming they are not images internally.

Speaking of: how's LibreOffice these days? I've not used the suite for a few years, but I remember odd 'quirks' in how it opened & saved DOCX/XLSX formats - table layouts saving fine but not quite looking right when opened again in MS Office, and so on.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
At this point I'm half-considering buying a Windows 10 box, from a big-box tech store, for the first time in decades, just for the hard copy of a genuine licence key. At least then it's there, I've got it, I'm done, no more futzing around with upgrade paths and linking to accounts and 'install Win7->activate->installWin10->digital entitlement' and/or any other garbage.

I don't trust eBay resellers, I don't trust 'fulfilled by ...' Amazon listings, even microsoft.com says 'Downloadable products will be delivered to you by a download link becoming available after completing purchase'. Why the hell don't they just email you a key?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Toast Museum posted:

Is that still a thing? I'm not sure I can recall seeing a sticker on a Windows 10 device.

Last time I bought Windows boxed - Windows 7, circa 2009 - the licence key was printed on a sticker attached to a card insert in the box. I, uh, hope that's still a thing.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking at getting a sneaky copy of Office 365 installed on my home PC; I have an Office account through my current workplace, but the ability to download the installer from office.com has been disabled. I've already tried opening a ticket asking if this could be changed, and the response was a definitive nope.

So, I'm thinking of asking to borrow one of a family member's allotted five (well, four after their work PC) installs. I know for certain that this is possible, as I've worked where they work before and I've used my details when working there to install O365 previously.

It's been a while since I've done this: so before I ask the 'hey can I borrow your details for a sec' question, is there any chance that this could affect them somehow? I'm thinking of Onedrive or Outlook - naturally I've no interest in being able to access their files or email once the install is done, so I don't want it auto-configuring or anything awkward like that.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Raygereio posted:

Why do you need to download the installer at work? Can't you just download it at home, install it and activate it using your work account?

I can't download an O365 installer at all, when signed in to office.com using my work details:

...and as far as I'm aware, the only way to download Office is to sign in to office.com using a Microsoft account with an active Office subscription. My workplace, for whatever reason, has disabled the ability to download Office, per the above screenshot. So, I'm considering borrowing one of someone else's allotted Office installs - from a different company, without this restriction - thus my question about whether would cause inconvenience/awkwardness on their part before I do so.

Does this make sense?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

dont be mean to me posted:

[EDITED]

No.

For one I'd be too worried it'd hook onto their account and licensing permanently and you don't want documents cross-pollinating between theirs and yours.

If you're no longer authorized through your workplace or school, then you'll just have to run off of some other Office license. Institutional licenses vary, but mine only lasts for 45 days between check-ins.

You can try the Office Deployment Tool (warning: Computer Janitor poo poo) and log in with your work credentials after installing that way, see if you're still authorized, but that's a lot of work and CJ poo poo for something you have no reason to expect to work.

But I wouldn't be surprised if your institutional account actually has turned off off-site Office licensing. WHAT YOU SHOULD ACTUALLY DO: Try logging in to it at office.com (through either a profile you don't care your work account is attached to or a temporary one), then going into My Account under your user icon (probably in the upper right), and seeing what Subscriptions your account still has. If it doesn't have anything about a ... desktop version of Office, your plan won't help you at all.

If it does show up THEN do the CJ poo poo.

Thanks for the info! I'm not all that desperate, just lazy - the HUP idea never occurred to me, I'll open a ticket asking if we participate. I'm not expecting much though haha

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ArgaWarga posted:

Oh and while I'm here, any cool things that can be done with OneNote?

If you're in a locked-down environment like an office, OneNote functions quite satisfactorily as a poor man's password manager. The fact that it's tabbed and paginated, plus click-and-type, means it's a lot more intuitive than a big long Word document. Likewise, I work in transport logistics, and it's a godsend for keeping tabs on different delivery sites - locations, addresses, quick links to Google directions, gate codes, emergency contacts, that kind of thing. I just wish it was possible to embed maps, but copy-pasting in from the snipping tool works enough.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Factor Mystic posted:

I'm pretty bummed about microsoft's latest aggressively user-hostile move, which is to remove onedrive streaming from groove.

Since I use this feature virtually every day, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any apps with equivalent functionality. Specifically, this is the ability to stream (not download) your own music (eg, not subscription and not "whatever's on catalog"), from a file service like onedrive.

The alternate option is to dust off Harmony Music (r.i.p.) & rebuild it for Windows desktop, but I actually would prefer to just buy an app.

Doesn't the Onedrive web interface allow this? I'm pretty sure that you can stream music/videos/images inside a browser from just about every cloud storage service, without downloading the actual file to your device.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah. Still, thinking about it, it works if you have the standard 'Music\Artist\(year) Album' directory structure; and if you're looking at a phone anyway, you could fudge up a 'Playlists\Music I Like' folder, a 'Playlists\angry Norwegian guys screaming WHUUUURGH' folder, and so on, by copy-pasting files around. Depends how big your music library is, I suppose.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kerbtree posted:

SO, for reasons, Google have decided that Photos won't show up as part of Drive any more. Any reccommendations/workarounds for a way to get copies of anything on Photos pulled down to my PC automatically?

Google's Backup and Sync was perfect in just quietly putting a copy of anything I took into a folder for me, but apparantly some people were confused.

I used to use the aptly-titled Autosync for Google Drive to automatically upload the contents of my phone's DCIM folder to Google Drive.

So, if you set up a one-way phone->Drive folder pair, Photos should catch whatever photos/videos you take and back them up as usual, and Autosync will send a copy off to Google Drive as well. You can then sync that folder in Drive back to your PC using Backup & Sync. It's a bit Heath Robinson, but it should work.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm putting together a travel itinerary for next year; it's heavy on text and images, and it needs to be vieweable on phones. This should be an ideal use case for something like Google Docs or Word Online, but both office suites insist on reflowing the document contents to fit an imaginary sheet of paper. So I'm having to either fight to keep text and images together, or to leave swathes of wasted white space, in this document that's never, ever, ever going to be tangible. Changing the top & bottom margins to '0' still results in a big ugly 'this is where the page ends :downs:' section when the document is viewed.

Is there any way of preventing this, so the document instead appears as one, long, single, continuous document, without page breaks? Open to alternatives if necessary.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Use HTML?

:shrug:

Good idea, but I don't think any cloud storage providers will serve HTML files the way you'd expect - probably for good reasons, I suppose - and arranging webhosting for a single simple travel itinerary would be overkill and then some.

Thinking outside the box a little, I could try exporting the rendered HTML doc as an image and 'hosting' it on loving Imgur or something, hmm

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

I think this is exactly the case for Google Docs’ “publish as webpage” function.

We have a winner, ladies and goons; I can't believe it's hidden far away from the usual sharing options, but this matches my needs perfectly.

Thanks for the alternatives, everyone, as well. Amazon and Github are slightly above my current skill level, but it'll give me something to learn when this feature inevitably heads to the Google Graveyard :)

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I could totally understand the Microsoft Store being intended to replace Ninite as a source for your stuff post-install. If they hadn't bundled Win10 with compulsory non-uninstallable crap, and the Office suite had been available on the thing from day one, it might have gotten some traction as something other than an annoying source of shovelware.

One of my irritations with the appstore model is that you're unable to gently caress around and install stuff without it being permanently attached to your 'account' forevermore, which then leads to 'what's installed / what's not', 'what to keep, what's garbage' clutter. It's maybe irrational, and OK I can 'hide' that abandonware from 2015, but it's there and it annoys me that I can't tell it to gently caress off. Whereas I can just, delete stuff from a 'flatten & reinstall' thumbstick

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've lately spent my time in lockdown ripping my music CD collection to FLAC, as a 'once and for all' kind of thing. For the sake of speed I've so far focussed on getting everything ripped and stored in the standard albumartist\albumtitle format, with coverart; but now that I'm done, I'd like to meddle with the tags and the directory structure so that everything's 'just so'.

So, I'm looking for something that can bulk-edit FLAC metadata, and build a directory structure around the metadata - so I can fix up my genre tags, putting an album's release year into its directory name, get rid of (Disc 2) in favour of continous track numbers, and so on.

I'm not bothered about retrieving & applying metadata from Musicbrainz or wherever, and Windows' 'right-click->Properties' option just doesn't feel powerful enough. Does a tool like this exist, now everyone's streaming instead?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Wow - plenty of responses. Thanks all, I'll give them a shot.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My mother has an ancient copy of Publisher 2007 on a dying laptop; she's unwilling to subscribe to Office 365 as it's way, way above her WYSIWYG '(clipart) bake sale next Sunday (clipart)' needs for the price. My first thought was Libreoffice but, LO Draw seems to be more about flowcharts and diagrams. Second thought was using either Word or Powerpoint in the one-time-purchase Office suite, but neither work as simply and intuitively as Publisher does when playing around with text and images on a sheet of paper.

Any suggestions for Publisher replacements?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The laptop is a dying hand-me-down, and though I know it's supported, i'm doubtful the Office installation is legitimate - so, reinstallation onto a new machine isn't possible. Just looking for other options for producing simple '(clipart) bake sale next Sunday (clipart)' documents, outside of a MS Office sub.

(thanks for the Affinity Publisher recommendation though)

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

Huh new Google Drive desktop app is able to ‘stream’ files for both Mac and windows while being integrated enough that the native file browsers aren’t aware that the files don’t exist locally? Did MS add functionality for this or is it all google code? I know windows has supported hard/soft links for a while now but it was always a bit clunky. Not sure if that’s even being used by latest desktop google drive app.

I think it's a Windows 10 thing that files can be 'placeholders' and be fetched once they're accessed - Onedrive does it, and Synology Drive does it as well for fetching stuff from a NAS. The Google Drive client probably just plugs into the same API.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Not sure where else to ask, hopefully this is the right thread.

I'd really like a video player that is capable of playing a video track + audio track of that video + an additional external audio track (in like, an mp3 format) at the same time. Synced but with an offset.
Is there anything like that? I couldn't find poo poo myself.

I'd get creative with the video file itself, rather than looking for software that'll play the 'normal' video+audio plus another separate audio file layered on top as well. Instead, I would extract 'audio A' from the video using MKVToolnix, merge 'audio A' and 'audio B' to make 'audio C' using Audacity, and then use MKVToolnix to add 'audio C' into the video file as a selectable audio track.

It's a bit of a fiddly process, especially if you'd like to introduce an offset between 'audio A' and 'audio B', but there's undoubtedly guides all over Youtube - someone please correct me if a simple solution exists!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Being fair, Windows 11 is showerproof these days. Drag your PC case in there as well and give it a gentle rinse, it'll clear out all the accumulated gunk.