Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neptune Blue
Jan 31, 2006

"Step away from the Acorn"
I really want to get in on the preorder upgrade deal, just wondering if anyone knows if either of the keys I have will work.

1. I have an old laptop that came with Windows XP, but I don't have an actual Windows disc with it, just the restore cd with all the usual stuff plus Windows, but it has a key obviously.
2. I also have a student edition of Windows Vista Ultimate, but can't find an answer as to whether I can upgrade that or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neptune Blue
Jan 31, 2006

MaxPC posted some "great" news about installing Windows 7 upgrades. Every time you want to reinstall it you have to install and activate XP or Vista first, not just a disc/key check.
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/windows_7_upgrade_edition_will_require_activated_copy_verification_each_time_it%E2%80%99s_installed

Neptune Blue
Jan 31, 2006

kapinga posted:

That sucks, but at least we know.

On a positive note, since we're all running the RC, this is from that article's source:

http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/archives/2009/07/a_major_windows_7_upgrade_question_gets_an_an.html

Emphasis is the author's.

It sounds like we'll get official confirmation of this tomorrow.

That sounds like it means we don't even have to own an older version of Windows to use the Windows 7 upgrade, as long as the RC is installed. I'm probably missing something, but that would be nice.