Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So I'm sorry if this has been brought up before.

I'm having issues with music and audio in general on Windows 7 glitching out, popping, cracking, and just not behaving okay. I've tried Zune, iTunes, Foobar... nothing can mend it.

I swear I have tried everything to fix this, drivers, disabling processes, disabling hardware, turning wireless off. Nothing seems to work.

I'm running 7 32-bit pro on a Dell Latitude E5510. Hardware wise it should be doing just great.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

Sounds like you got a hosed up audio chip/card happening there man. Nothing to fix it except perhaps a usb sound card.

The laptop does have a firewire port... I could try my external soundcard I use for my home PC I suppose. Just gotta find a cable that will do the job.

Suppose I haven't tried EVERYTHING yet.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

baka kaba posted:

There's a thing called Lightworks that's in open beta and is eventually going to be open source, it's been used to make some commercial films so it's more of a professional-level solution, but if you're daring enough it's free at least

Having dabbled with it for about a week now I can safely say that you really need to invest some time into learning how to use the thing. Its not the most user friendly editor but for free it gets the job done.

Just tried out the demo for Vegas Movie Studio HD 11. For 50 dollars I don't think you can beat this.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 11, 2012

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Two weeks ago I could download an ISO for Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit so I could perform formats and installs on the parents laptops.

Now Microsoft removed it from their website because reasons, I guess?

Does anybody know of any place I can get this ISO? The software recovery website doesn't work in this case because the laptop had Windows installed from the factory.

EDIT: Is this a :filez: question? I wouldn't think so since Microsoft offered the file up until recently.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

What's the reason you were using 32 bit? The 64 bit ISOs are still up at the same location, and should probably be used unless the devices really are too old to have 64 bit compatible CPUs.

Would the key for 32 bit work on 64 bit?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yes, with Windows Vista and up the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of the OS use the same key, it's only XP where the "64 bit" versions required different keys.

Awesome, I'm a bit flustered with all this at the moment, do you have a link for the 64 bit version?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Lovely, thank you.

EDIT: lmao I try once and the download fails pretty quick, and then I try again and it directs me to the "file not found" page.

Jesus Christ, Microsoft.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Tried it on Chrome and Firefox (and Firefox Nightly), stops at about 200 MB. I've seen some other people report this happening too.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Nope, I'm on uBlock, even disabled it. Just tried IE too and no go.

Have some IRC folk saying that they have failed downloads as well.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I was suspecting maybe Comcast was loving something up. But I have managed to complete downloads from other websites.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Once a week Windows 8.1 for some inexplicable reason deletes all my photo thumbnail previews which results in me having to wait around while it builds them again.

I've tried deleting the entire cache and letting it rebuild, and it still persists. How the gently caress do I get this to stop? Waiting around for thumbnails to rebuild is annoying and costs me time.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

URL grey tea posted:

Do you use CCleaner? Do you have this checked?

Edit: Can also try nuking C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer and then killing Explorer.exe and re-launching it (or rebooting)

I do not use CCleaner. I have tried deleting the .db files in \Explorer which didn't fix anything, but you are suggesting I delete the entire contents of the folder right?

I know people found a solution for Windows 7 to stop it from deleting the thumbnail cache, but apparently no solutions have been found with 8/8.1/10? I was hoping maybe some goon had found the secret and hadn't shared it yet.

EDIT: I've now tried method #2 per this guide including deleting the tasks, I'll see how it pans out. My HDD just might be bunk too.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Anyone noticing weird audio popping when streaming music like on spotify or playing videos on youtube on 8.1 lately? Issue is non existent when trying to replicate it with local files. Happening both with my external sound card and mobo audio.

It seems to be software or driver based from what I can tell as its louder/quieter with volume changes. Can't seem to fix it, thinking there was a windows update that hosed things up.