Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Probably not, but does windows 7 have x11 natively? It's annoying to have to dual boot to a unix os just to get around the limitations of windows and putty.

e: because I am a novice programmer and my professor is a giant tool, but thanks I learned something today.

Liquid Penguins fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 6, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Question time!

I'm currently running Vista Premium 32-bit on my laptop that has 4gb of ram installed. I bought an upgrade to Windows 7 Premium 32-bit using that student deal thingy that goes live in 6 days. I just got an email from MSDN, and I qualify for a free download and key for: "Windows 7 Professional (x86) - DVD (English)" and the 64-bit version is also available.

Yes, I CAN upgrade to 64-bit, but is it worth it? The idea that I don't have to back up 200gb of files and worry about reinstalling every program is a huge plus that I'm looking forward to in the upgrade I get Thursday and I doubt I'll get much benefit from a 64-bit OS. I only use this laptop for internet, class, and the occasional Dawn of War 2. Also, if I upgrade from Vista Premium to 7 Professional, do I have to do a clean install? I know the OP covered this but it wasn't specific about going from Premium to Professional.

Basically, I would strongly prefer to NOT have to clean install. Should I take the free Professional now and get my $30 back or wait for the version I paid for?

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Going from Premium to Professional in a Vista-to-7 upgrade requires doing a clean install anyway. May as well go to 64 bit while you're at it!

You'd have the same problem going from XP Home to Vista Business.

Are you sure? If that's the case I'm just going to wait and use the 7 Premium upgrade I paid for.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
So far trying to get windows 7 to work has been a frustrating nightmare. I did the student upgrade deal. The download manager tripped my school's resnet up and was rate-capped at 56k. It took 9 hours to download. Now that I have the files, none of which are a loving iso, they won't extract. The exe crashes with "Unloading the Box: An error was encountered. Unspecified error." every single time. I redownloaded it overnight and am still getting the same error. I tried this but it doesn't work either. I really have no idea how to proceed and would honestly just like a refund so I can use the MSDN copy I have already, but Digital River doesn't give any refunds.

I've read the last several pages and couldn't find anything that worked but is there anything I should try (or try again)?

e: Going from vista 32 premium to the same version of 7 if that makes a difference.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

mezz posted:

I had the same problem and there's no fix for it yet apparently, so I just downloaded the .iso from some torrent and went from there. I'm still not done installing though... accidentally installed the Ultimate version first so I had to use this trick http://www.unawave.de/installation/downgrade-en.html?lang=EN to "re-upgrade" to Professional :/

Yeah, I can't torrent it because p2p is blocked on campus, plus the legality of that is questionable at best. Is there seriously no solution or even an acknowledgment of the problem from microsoft?

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

crumshot posted:

:siren: Did you download from DigitalRiver? If so, do you want to create a bootable .ISO? :siren:

The original source on this was http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/30470-make-bootable-iso-student-d-l.html
There was a mistake or two in the OP, so I fixed them using the information in that thread. I'm burning the ISO now and am about to install this bitch.

This is great and everything, except digital river did not send me that folder or any of its contents. Just two box files and an exe. The exe crashes everytime and there seems to be fuckall I can do.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Dickeye posted:

it says in the first paragraph, that's all you'll get. The folder is part of those files

Okay, how do I get the folder out of the files? The exe crashes every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Can I use a retail full install CD of Home Premium to do an UPGRADE of my Vista Premium using the key I got from the student promo?