Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"
I'm curious if anyone has a similar dilemma to what I'm facing. I upgraded to Win 7 Pro a little while ago after using the RC for quite a while. Now, before doing the upgrade, I was using an old Xerox DocuPrint p8ex. Now, this is an awesome printer because it uses a toner cartridge I can get fairly cheap online if I hunt, and saves huge amounts of money in ink. It's also fast, etc etc. I don't care that it's old.

Problem is the only drivers I have found for it are for Windows 2000, and need to run in Kernel Mode (Mode 2) in order to function. Now, despite all the posts on editing group policy supposedly reversing this, I cannot for the life of me get the printer to install, forever being met with the message that the local policy prevents it.

Any advice here would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

IT Guy posted:

I just now discovered an amazing feature on Windows 7.

Winamp has a nice plugin to enable this functionality. Really customizable too.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

revolther posted:

That's kind of lovely looking, you'd think Winamp would be quick to support Windows standards as it's "The Ultimate Media Player" for Windows.

Heh, their site lists it as Windows 7 compliant, kinda disappointing when foobar has done it since Vista.

Well, I customized it to match the box size to the text and not the album art, since I'm lazy and don't have album art for most of my music. Again, really customizable, all of those buttons can be turned on/off, it has a optional track position marker, etc. You can choose the font styles, etc. So unless you just adamantly hate the functionality, just hate my personal aesthetics instead.

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

I'd say go bite a llama's rear end, but Winamp (which I use to this day out of some sort of twisted loyalty to the first mp3 player I knew) kinda isn't that great, and it sure ain't pretty.

You know, I still use it too mostly because of the extensibility with skins and plugins and all that. I used to use it for video as well (it's the same as anything else, uses directshow), but that became a nightmare on Windows 7, so I've been using MPC since then. I like their whole serise of cPro skins, and use cpro_insomnis right now. I mean, I like that foobar is customizable, but everything I see about it makes it look like the audio equivalent to Miranda IM.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

EvilMuppet posted:

How do you configure it? The wiki page for it is broken.

You can get at the settings from the Winamp Preferences like any other plugin. It's pretty straight forward, and lets you tweak it quite a bit. I prefer mine to squish the album art when it finds it, because often my music doesn't have any, hence the pic, but it's really up to you what buttons it has and how it looks. You do have to restart when you add/remove buttons though.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

So, I'm running Windows 7 x64 Pro, and I want to use Media Center to play videos and do my TV recording. Only issue is that x64 Windows ships with the x64 version of Windows Media Center.

I thought it might be simple enough to snag the x86 compile of Windows Media Center from another Win 7 install, so I did just that and tried replacing the directory. No dice, won't even run.

Anyone have any clever advice on how to get 32bit Windows Media Center running on Windows 7 x64?

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

Factory Factory posted:

Why is this a problem, exactly?

Windows Media Center x64 will only load x64 codecs. There aren't really any x64 codecs that will open and play mkvs at the moment. CCCP doesn't have any x64 version included, and most of the filters like VSfliter are no longer maintained, and unlikely to get a x64 version.

Basicaly WMC 32bit + CCCP works fine with everything. WMC 64bix + CCCP works only with AVI files, and files that it has built in codecs for.

edit: CoreAVC has a x64 version I think. But I'm hoping for a free option, as they're a pay product. Worth it mind you, but I'm frugal/cheap.

edit2: Also this still doesn't provide any support for soft subs that I'm aware of, but might fix the mkv playback of x264 files.

skywalker6705 fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

Edit:

Okay, I fixed my problems by abandoning CCCP and tracking down the x64 beta of Haali Media Splitter, and the x64 version of FFDShow Tryouts. Since ffdshow includes vsfilter natively, subtitles are a non issue, though annoying to enable/disable via remote.

Thanks for the recommendations though. I was hoping there was a simple toggle or registry hack I hadn't heard or thought of, but I guess I just needed to hunt down the x64 specific versions.

skywalker6705 fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 18, 2011