Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Uh-oh. Apparently the pre-RC 7 builds expire in 3 days. Looks like I need to update this ol' laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

I really think the biggest difference, for me, has been driver support. Especially for x64-systems. They've been around long enough that everyone has drivers for them, but when Vista launched, almost nothing worked out of the box. If anyone remembers the Creative sound driver fiasco, or that there weren't any stable video drivers for a few months after release.

My experiences went something like this:
Booting Vista for the first time: no sound, no video drivers, no motherboard drivers with which to download sound or video drivers, gently caress this.
Booting 7 RC for the first time: Absolutely everything works already! gently caress yeah!

While driver support may not necessarily be Micosoft's fault, they could have possibly done more to make the transition to Vista smoother.