Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
The download is going really slow for me, would there be some drawback to using a torrent that I don't see? It's going to be exactly the same as what I get from MS, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Anyone know a good podcast client that works with 7? I was using Juice on 7077 but on upgrading to 7100 I found I can't make it work, since a file I needed to change last time doesn't appear. Doesn't support Vista anyway so there's probably something more current out there.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I want to bridge a connection between my Win7 computer and my 360 so I can connect to Live without spending a retarded amount of money on an overpriced peripheral. It worked no problem in 7077 but wont work now in 7100.

My computer has a wireless connection to the house network and the Internet, and is wired by ethernet cable to the 360. I went into the network and sharing centre > Change Adapter settings, clicked the wireless network, CTRL-clicked the ethernet connection, right-clicked the wireless one and selected to bridge the connection. Xbox still won't connect.

As well as installing 7100, the router has been replaced with a Belkin (used to be Netgear I think) could that matter? Xbox tells me it's not being assigned an IP, but I thought that the PC handled that, or does the router perceive the two machines as separate entities?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Radioactive Toy posted:

I just set this up a few days ago. I originally tried bridging the connections, but it didn't work. All I ended up doing was going to the properties of my wireless connection -> sharing tab and checking the "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" box. Not sure why bridging wasn't working but this did so it works for me.

Okay, that didn't work in 7077 and bridging was a piece of piss, now in 7100 I can connection share no problem and bridging won't work. Don't know if it's the change of router some how, but it seems crazy to me. Thanks for the help.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I hope no one minds me bringing up the European version again, I'm sure it's somewhere deep in the thread but I've not seen it yet.

Basically, is the 50% off version the way to go, just have the installer for a web browser on disk to hand. Also, any retailers better than others? This will be better than any OEM prices we're likely to get? And I'm guessing only professional comes with office, I won't get Word with Home Premium?

Edit: oh wait, IE comes on a seperate disk with it.

Edit2: Have I missed something? The MS site says I can preorder for £50, but the linked sites say £75-80. Am I too late or something?

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 23, 2009

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I'm going to be installing retail W7 over the Release Candidate I've currently got, how does that go? If I install to the same drive the RC is on now, do I get that Windows.old directory with the files from the previous install in? Or can I updated from the RC and keep all my installs and everything?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Has anyone had the Release Candidate and installed the home version to another drive? I think I'm going to buy a new HDD and install 7 to it, then move the data on my RC install to it. Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I'm going to be installing 7 shortly, and have a choice of three drives to install to, a 150GB IDE drive, a 500GB IDE and a new, 1TB drive. I expect it will be best to install to one of the IDE drives, but will performance be better on the smaller drive? Is there an advantage to creating a boot partition on one of them?

I just installed the new 1TB drive and it was detected by my Windows 7 beta, and appears in the Device Manager, but won't show up under my computer. What the gently caress good is that supposed to be? I want to sort this out so I can move files around ahead of installing retail.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Grawl posted:

See if you can format your drive from the device manager. It should have shown up in My Computer, but since it's new you'll have to format it anyway before it'll work.

The format option isn't there on the device manager, you can't actually do anything at all with it there, except disable it and allow it to be detected again, which does nothing. This is loving stupid.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Parias posted:

You actually want Disk Management. Run diskmgmt.msc - so long as the new disk is working properly, it'll show up in there so the drive can be formatted and the free space allocated to a partition.

Okay, thanks. Should I have the 1TB drive as a single partition? I got the impression that it will be faster when it starts filling up if it's broken up?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

Install it to the 1TB drive unless it is a "green" (low-rpm) drive. If you install it to a older HDD, performance may suffer. There's really no reason to install your entire operating system, something that will see more HDD activity than anything, onto some old IDE drive, unless you're some sort of speed masochist.

Do what Loosechanj said, just dump it on the 1TB drive, keep it one partition, use your other HDDs as bulk storage.

It's one of these 'green' drives though it says it's still pretty fast.

That's not what Loosechanj said to do though. For reference, the 500GB one is one of these and the IDE 160GB is here and are both 7200RPM. I thought perhaps the speed, coupled with the smaller size would mean the 160GB would be fastest?

Edit: Also, I just set up dual screens with my existing monitor and my HD tv, but the only screen res that seems to work on the TV is 1280x768, compared to 1280x1080 on my old 17". The TV screen is about the same hight and a good bit wider, is there no way to get a better output?

Edit: wait, found the NVidia thing to turn it to a 1080p custom resolution. Writing looks a bit blury on it though, hopefully changing the TV's own settings with fix that.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 20, 2010

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I've just moved and set up my computer. Previously I had a dual monitor setup, with an LCD monitor and a TV, the later connected by a VGA-HDMI lead.

After the move, I set up the computer with the LCD monitor first, and now, a few days later, have hooked up the TV. I'm pretty sure they are in opposite VGA ports on the graphics card now, as the monitor showed the wrong resolution, but now I can't seem to get the TV to pick up a signal from the PC. Anyone know what I should be doing?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

I have a computer with vista currently on it that's all sorts of hosed up, so I plan to nuke it and reinstall, but I don't have any spare windows 7 keys. I have an OEM copy that I installed on another computer I built a while ago, I'm assuming there's no way to squeeze extra activations out of it?

I have a similar question, I have a retail copy of W7 Premium installed on a hard drive which I believe is failing, and mean to install to another drive, which I currently just keep files on.

Firstly, I want to double-check, so long as I don't opt to format the drive, the files will still be there after W7 is installed to the drive? I've installed over previous Windows installs and found everything goes to a windows.old directory, so I assume it's similar arrangement.

Second, will I have any issues with using my product code again on the new install? Will I need to call customer services or something?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Im having issues with my W7 PC and want to check a few things. It's not been right for a while, taking several minutes getting from login to desktop, I think the boot disk is dying, sometimes it doesn’t show on the bios. I think checking connections in the case helped, but maybe it's confirmation bias. I also had some weirdness from installing windows with another drive installed, so both need to be running for it to work.

I mean to install W7 to the drive I currently use for storage. I'm moving files I want to keep from it, but will a Windows install actually scrub them? MS sites say yes, but im sure they said id loose my XP stuff when I upgraded and it was saved.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Okay, wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting my time.

I'm clearing a 1TB SATA drive, but also have a 150GB IDE one, might that be better? I think it has some of my current install even though its not the boot/c drive, due to aforementioned weirdness with have two drives when I installed. Might be easier, but might also wreck the current install, which I might need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Medullah posted:

I'd just call it a day and back up everything you need, rather than risking losing something. Are you sure your drive is going bad? Run Crystal Disk Info on it...

I'm not sure now, perhaps it's my motherboard. I tried rearranging a few things, like swapping the SATA leads and power connections to the drives, and unplugged the 1TB storage drive. Right now it's working, so I checked CrystalDiskInfo which says caution on my C drive. The complaints are by Current Pending Sector Count and Uncorrectable Sector Count. I don't know if this should be cause for concern?

Right now, when I start Windows, if I enter my password and login straight away I get a black screen with just a cursor for several minutes until my desktop loads, if I leave it on the login screen for a bit it goes at normal speed, so I think it loads in the backgroud on the login screen but is taking longer than usual. Drive access seems fine when I'm in.