Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Nevertheless, what Zorilla said is true. As much as I love Win7, and I do love the poo poo out of it, that kind of crap still happens. Just today, I accidentally navigated to a network share on a machine that was shut down, and I gave explorer well over 5 minutes to figure out that it's just not there and give up trying, but no. I finally killed it and when it restarted poo poo was hosed up. It was laggy even when navigating local drives and the icon cache was hosed. No choice but to reboot. Granted, things like this don't happen nearly as often as they used to, but I just don't understand why they have to happen at all anymore. I would love something like a "pretend I never made that last move" button that never gets greyed out.
(didn't see this mentioned)

I've never had this problem, but explorer crash woes should all be gone now if you're enabling this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Capnbigboobies posted:

Don't listen to this advice. You really cant run any full screen game with xp mode, it will run far too slowly. I tried Quake Live and it ran at maybe 2-3fps on my 8800gts in xp mode.

XP mode is really meant to run like old accounting software, not games.
Why would you run Quake Live in emulation mode, isn't it actively being developed / supported by iD?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

isagoon posted:

Does anyone know how to disable that thing that temperately minimizes all your windows when you mouseover a program's icon in the taskbar? That is getting really annoying with dual monitors....
It only does that for me when I hover my mouse over the preview window?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

SamuraiPaul posted:

yo, I got windows 7 64bit and I'm trying to edit the Hosts file in sys32 but it's not letting me do jack. I used to be able to mess around with it it straight from notepad. any suggestions?
Run notepad as admin, the hosts file is not editable by all users by default.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Zorilla posted:

I've never had problems with GParted, but as with pretty much any partition management software in existence, get ready for somebody to come in and tell you how it completely ruined their life's work.
Obliterating everything on the partition means you don't have to spend more time on defragging. :smug:

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

raezr posted:

There's no pic in the Grateful Dead folder though, unless Windows created one itself as a hidden file. I haven't done anything to the folders other than put mp3s in them. For clarification: both folders in that screenshot were completely created and managed by Amazon's downloader. Obviously something caused Windows to make a thumbnail for one but not the other, and I want to figure out what.
Do you care if it's automatic? Open up the folder properties and change to the Customize tab.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

I love you, this disables the drag-maximized-window-title-bar behavior that I'm prone to doing accidentally.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

The Faustus posted:

Whats the cool/hip burning software these days?

I keep getting errors in my Event Manager due to one of the Prassi Ones DLL files.
What do you want to burn? ImgBurn is probably the best for non-media stuff.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Why can't you just delete the uninstaller shortcut? unless it's an incompetent ancient application that doesn't properly register itself in Programs and Features.

gibbed fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 4, 2010

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

I've got a good example of UAC failure. Theres a computer version of Risk that came out 15 years ago. It runs perfectly in Win 7 with normal rights, except that the random number generator doesn't work. It rolls the same result every time, 5,4,2 on offence, and 4,2 on defence. Every attack you kill 1 unit and lose 1 unit. It wasn't until I ran it as admin and invoked the UAC prompt that it worked properly.

Now Risk fails silently and falls back on default dice rolls, but if it didn't and I had UAC disabled, I'd never be able to play that game.
This is hilarious and I want to buy this game just to figure out what it's doing that UAC breaks dice rolls in.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Also: On the off chance that whatever program is in DLL Hell isn't installed in Program Files, what kind of software doesn't recognize DLLs in its own directory?
An application has to explicitly call SetDllDirectory (also see Dynamic-Link Library Search Order) to change this behavior. The only applications that I know offhand (applications that I've investigated anyway) are Valve related ones (Steam, Source engine based games).

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

BlondRobin posted:

Out of curiosity, why? This isn't an "i know beter lolol" statement, I'm just curious (knowing increasingly less about computing as it advances) why having the configuration file for a program right next to the program itself is harmful or risky.
User related data should go in their user directory, not the application directory.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

That kind of stuff is why I just turn off the recently used programs list and pin anything I'm interested in.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I'm trying to clean up my music collection, meaning I am trying to rename and move a bunch of files. I keep getting the following error:

The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program

I don't have any programs open that would be trying to use these files. What's going on?
AV or Explorer, usually.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Odd, about 10 minutes ago Windows Genuine spazzed and said I wasn't running a genuine copy of Windows 7, then a few minutes later went back to being genuine. :raise:

Is this common? Never had it since I started running Windows 7 when it first got dished out over MSDN.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

I've never had an issue with Activation with XP, Vista, or any version of Office, but I've seriously seen the "You are not genuine" message like half a dozen times with Windows 7. Each time it has corrected itself.
Either a reboot, or I tell it to activate again online.

Installs that worked perfect every day for 6+ months would just pop up errors on a boot. No changed hardware or anything. It happened at least once on one of my Laptops, which I'm pretty sure hasn't had a bunch of hardware swapped.
It's been happening constantly today for me, I haven't rebooted in a few weeks so I doubt that's an issue. I'm guessing the activation server is crapping our to something today.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

I'm getting this error whenever I try to open up the file explorer from the taskbar

It then does not let me open the window. Needless to say I'm a bit scared, not being able to open the explorer is a fairly significant windows glitch. What the hell is going on.
This looks like some sort of file or memory corruption (it's showing two function names there, sounds like a NULL got replaced which caused it to read it wrong).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

WAIK + PXE is :argh:

bcdedit kept generating bcd files that were either corrupt or too new for pxeboot (or bootmgr), ended up using the stock one from WAIK after a few hours of pulling my hair out trying to figure out why it was requesting strange files from my tftp server (such as '6wim', somehow a corrupt entry for winpex86.wim).

Oh well, in the end I managed to install Windows 7 on a laptop with no DVD (I lacked any USB drives of sufficient space) with network booting.