Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Maxwell Adams posted:

Could you guys see if the drivers for your wireless card support the Virtual WiFi feature built into Windows 7?http://tameyourpc.blogspot.com/search/label/Software%20Wireless%20Access%20Point]

Dell E6500, No
code:
Interface name: Wireless Network Connection

Driver                    : Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN
    Vendor                    : Intel Corporation
    Provider                  : Microsoft
    Date                      : 3/26/2009
    Version                   : 12.4.1.4
    INF file                  : C:\Windows\INF\netw5v64.inf
    Files                     : 1 total
                                C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\netw5v64.sys
    Type                      : Native Wi-Fi Driver
    Radio types supported     : 802.11a 802.11b 802.11g
    FIPS 140-2 mode supported : Yes
    Hosted network supported  : No
Acer Aspire One D260, YES!!
code:
Interface name: Wireless Network Connection

Driver                    : Atheros AR5007EG
    Vendor                    : Atheros Communications Inc
    Provider                  : Microsoft
    Date                      : 6/9/2009
    Version                   : 2.0.0.74
    INF file                  : C:\Windows\INF\netathr.inf
    Files                     : 1 total
                                C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\vwifibus.sys
    Type                      : Native Wi-Fi Driver
    Radio types supported     : 802.11b 802.11g
    FIPS 140-2 mode supported : Yes
    Hosted network supported  : Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
So I was bothered by the limit of "balanced plan" and whatever power plan you were on before that showing up without at least 3 clicks.... and I found some good commands for you:

powercfg /setactive scheme_max
powercfg /setactive scheme_min
powercfg /setactive scheme_balanced

You can of course create shortcuts however you want, but I'm a fan of setting up .bat's that I can run immediately after hitting the windows key.

poweercfg /? is hugely long, which lead me to finding powercfg -energy, which creates an html report of what your system thinks is taking up too much power :D

Thought it might be of interest to some of you that want to squeeze the most out of some old portable hardware.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Johnny B. Goode posted:

It wasn't crap though. Most of the people complaining never used it.

Totally this! I ran vista on my home machine, as well as on my work laptop since it's launch. I didn't have a single complaint after SP1 was released. I adopted Win7 much faster, and have to completely agree that it works better than XP and Vista on identical hardware, even on stuff that could NOT handle Vista. The ONLY thing Vista did wrong was not work as well as 7 (or even xp) does on minimal hardware.

MS did a smart thing and is practically giving 7 away to students and such, who are the perfect age group to not resist the change, and be advocates/installers for their parents and friend's machines.

E: Also, I remember reading MONTHS ago that Win7 was supposed to support multiple video cards with different drivers, ala XP. I can't find a single success story of this in Win7, though, and is the only thing keeping one of my work machines on XP :(

UserNotFound fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 3, 2009

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Anyone find a resolution for GPO .bat login scripts for drive mappings not working in Win 7?

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?s=b2bcafad22f1f2d063015b1c387a25bf&showtopic=721482&pid=590412788&st=0&#entry590412788

I could probably use group policy preference extensions instead of a login script, but that's currently what the policies are set for...

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
In the OP:

univbee posted:

Professional: This is the "Pro" version that's generally available worldwide, preinstalled and in retail stores. This version connects to domains and is the cheapest version of Windows 7 that features the XP Mode mentioned earlier. Unlike Vista Business, Windows 7 Professional includes all the features of Home Premium like Media Center and DVD Playback.

Am I missing something? I have Media Center on my work PC (Enterprise 64bit), but my Netbook that I installed 32bit Professional (MSDNAA) does not seem to have Media Center?

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Stuntman Mike posted:

I've got Media Center on my Win7 Pro (retail).

Never mind, myself and the quick search box teamed up for some stupid. I typed in "media" only "Windows Media Player" came up. I tried "center" and found it. How retarded is that?

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Kazy posted:

Change the Balanced power plan settings to match the ones of Power Saver :v:

I actually tried deleting the balanced plan, but it didn't work :(

code:
powercfg -export C:\balanced.pow scheme_balanced
powercfg -delete scheme_balanced
I mean, it only gives you two options, but the menu from the tray to change it shows NO power plans. Perhaps a reboot is in order? I'm sure someone can take it from here. I just mad quick bat scripts to set the settings I want and can launch those with keyboard shortcuts.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Shannow posted:

Haven't noticed this posted yet, turns out there was plans to ship windows with a feature that alllowed you to turn your machine into a woreless hotspot, but the functionality was removed though parts of the code remaind.
soemone finished it off, and it works beautifully - http://www.connectify.me/

Argh, I just wrote that exact same program last night... although without the handy sys tray icon or displaying disconnected hosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Super Dude posted:

What's the difference between the connectify thing and setting up an ad-hoc network (which can share internet connections)?

Ad-hoc networks cannot bridge to wired LANs, and especially not a WLAN connection with only the one adapter. In ad-hoc networks, individual network nodes forward packets to and from each other, rather than the tradition access point that connectify will set up for you.

UserNotFound fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 5, 2009