Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Just installed the latest RC of x64 7, as an upgrade from x64 Vista Ultimate. System specs: Athlon 64 X2 5200, 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, 400GB HD, GeForce 8600 GT, IDE DVD-ROM/burner.

Initial impressions:

Very easy, though time consuming, upgrade process. Pop DVD in while at the Vista desktop, answer a few questions, then wander off for an hour and a half while it does its thing and reboots a gazillion times.

Takes longer to boot than Vista did, but once everything is up and running, seems to run a little bit quicker.

Had a hard time getting my Realtek AC'97 sound working, but I had the same problem in Vista and XP (yes I have a lovely generic motherboard) - the problem was exaggerated by having a hard time finding the proper drivers on Realtek's Engrish site. My webcam was also a little funny, I had to reinstall the drivers for it once 7 came up and also download an update to the software it came with. Ironically, it's a Microsoft webcam, less than 6 months old at that. However, it's now working.

Going to take some time to get used to the new taskbar - for now I've turned off grouping since I tend to have 5+ IM windows open at a time.

Comodo Personal Firewall doesn't work in 7 (the rest of the security features of the Comodo suite do work). Thankfully the built in 7 firewall looks like it's pretty good.

So far, aside from the new taskbar, it basically feels like my Vista installation, just a little more responsive. Haven't tried gaming under it yet though.

The only annoyances so far are my firewall of choice not working and the webcam issues. The sound was easy enough to fix.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 28, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I use my laptop in classes regularly, and also take it to the library every day after classes. Due to this, I normally keep the speakers muted.

Is there a free utility that will unmute when plugging in headphones, and go back to muted when unplugging them?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Strangelet Wave posted:

Win7 does this automatically, unless I'm mistaken. Manually mute your laptop when you've got the headphones unplugged, then plug in and adjust the volume as desired. Next time you unplug, it'll mute; if you plug in, it'll unmute.

Doesn't seem to work at first, but I noticed it does change the volume when the headphones are plugged in. It doesn't change whether or not something is muted, but it does remember if I have the speakers set to 0 and the headphones at something else.

So it works - just not as obvious as I thought it would be. But I'll take it. Thanks!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sizzlechest posted:

I have a friend running Windows 7 Home and wants to backup to a network drive. The Windows backup program won't allow this, so are there any free alternatives that anyone can recommend? He'd like one that can do versioning.

He tried Comodo Backup and SyncBack Pro and didn't like them.

CrashPlan is what you need. And as a bonus, it's free for noncommercial use.