Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

I guess maybe if you're not applying any security updates. Going back to XP SP3, they've fixed this. Even on vanilla Vista installs, the default was to prompt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

To anyone hosting a Windows 7 Launch Party, I hope you read the details.

http://www.houseparty.com/windows7usa/faq posted:

The 25 character product key included in the inside left panel of the 32 bit Signature Edition (black sleeve) should be used for either 64 or 32 bit installation. The key is only good for one installation.

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

They key should still work for 64bit.

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

This is weird, because I've bitched that Windows has a history of happily recording disk errors. It will log thousand of disk errors, bad blocks, and every possible "worse case" issue with a hard drive - and NEVER once alert the user that their poo poo is FAILING.

Someone said that starting with Vista, it now pops up a message warning you that it recorded a disk error.

And you're saying with Windows 7, it never warned you? I'm wondering if they removed that feature from Windows 7 (why?), or if the Vista user was just full of poo poo.

Just today I tried to get a system up and running that would no longer boot. I finally opened the Event Logs, and it has been recording dozens of "disk" errors for the past several weeks (bad block). No one thinks to look at the Event Viewer on a daily basis, so how the hell was the end user supposed to know the drive was failing?

My data drive was failing, and Vista never said a thing.

Edit: I guess you could install a S.M.A.R.T utility that would email or notify you of errors.

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

I'm not completely sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes:

If I'm planning on running a triple monitor setup with Windows 7, how easy will it be to set the middle monitor to contain both the start menu button and the system tray, while still allowing the other monitors to have their own taskbars (without start bars or trays) that basically each behave as if they were separate from the main monitor's taskbar.

In other words, I'd pretty much like the center monitor to operate as if it was the only monitor on the system, but with the option to drag any window or program I want into the left or right windows, and if I choose to minimize that window or program, it will minimize to the taskbar on that particular monitor.

Is this possible?

I haven't tried this with Windows 7 yet, but it should be possible with UltraMon. You would set your center monitor as the primary display, and then the left and right ones as secondary displays.

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

Looks like the UltraMon guy has raised his price too. Back when I got my license it was like $20.

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

According to some Microsoft MVPs, the version of Windows 7 that you get for hosting a Launch Party is a full retail license.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/GettingReadyforWindows7/thread/1979a397-e7ff-4220-a5a3-6c43187d00c7

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

Is Backup and Restore not doing the job?

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

brc64 posted:

Kind of along those same lines, does anybody have aero peek working with tabs in Firefox yet?

Some guy had an executable replacement that sorta worked, but an update to Firefox broke it.

http://blog.compugeeksoftware.com/blog/software/winfox-ndash-firefox-and-windows-7/

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

SpartanIV posted:

Seriously, why is this taking so long?

If you're waiting for some kind of baked in, official solution, don't hold your breath. 3 years in, and the best Mozilla has is mock ups of Firefox with Aero support.

Glasser

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

Mug posted:

I got my Windows 7 Party Pack today, it says that Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition is good for one installation only, does this pretty much mean it's an OEM copy, and you can reinstall it as many times as you want as long as it's to the same hardware profile? Or do they strictly mean a single activation?

It's supposed to be a retail license.

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

Casao posted:

Googling around, I can't find any mention of it working on the 360? Got a link with details, cause I'd be interested in this.

I spent a while trying to find a nice, clean guide. Ultimately, I installed the Shark 007 guide and it worked. now I just need to figure out why streaming 720p h264 mkv over a 100mbit network gives me early flash quality video.

TVersity and PS3Mediaserver transcode MKVs. If you're ok with 2.1 audio and a very tiny amount of work, you can repackage them as MP4s with GOTSent or XenonMKV (assuming they're H.264) and play them natively on the 360 or a PS3.

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

Leviathan posted:

What's the best way to share media to a 360 from windows 7?

You can stream straight to the dashboard with WMP12, Zune software and 3rd party stuff like TVersity and The Orb. I've been using the Media Center extender for music, because the music interface is way better than the dashboard.

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

abagofcheetos posted:

What is the best (or at least good) virtual drive program for Windows 7? I used to use Daemon Tools all the time, is it still a solid program?

Virtual CloneDrive by SlySoft is pretty good. It's free, there's no adware, and it installed without a reboot on my machine.

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

JoeCitizen posted:

I'm having a problem in Win 7 Pro x64 with my Logitech mouse forgetting all of it's custom settings coming out of sleep mode. I think the Logitech Setpoint software is running in 32bit. Any suggestions on correcting this?

This is a known issue with SetPoint. I emailed Logitech support and their proposed solution was to RMA the mouse. :raise:

The easiest thing to do if it happens is to kill SetPoint.exe from Task Manager and then re-launch it. Somebody on the Logitech board actually came up up with a Task that did this when the system woke up from sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

Maxwell Adams posted:

Could you guys see if the drivers for your wireless card support the Virtual WiFi feature built into Windows 7? Just open up a command prompt and type in "netsh wlan show drivers". You'll get a blob of text that looks kinda like this:

code:
C:\>netsh wlan show drivers

Interface name: Wireless Network Connection

Driver                    : Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
    Vendor                    : Broadcom
    Provider                  : Microsoft
    Date                      : 10/1/2008
    Version                   : 4.176.75.23
    INF file                  : C:\Windows\INF\oem5.inf
    Files                     : 2 total
                                C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\BCMWL664.SYS
                                C:\Windows\system32\drivers\vwifibus.sys