Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
just finished building a new system and installing Win7 Pro 64.

This is the first time I've really played around with Win7 at all. So far I'm liking it a lot but there's one thing that's kind of irking me that I'd like to figure out.

I always relied really heavily on my quick launch bar, even used a 3rd party app called True Launch Bar to better organize my shortcuts into folders and what not.

I was hoping Win7 would have a beefier quick launch bar but instead they did the opposite and actually hid it. I figured out how to enable it but I'm just wondering if there's a way to detach the toolbar from the taskbar and put it at the top of my screen and auto-hide it or whatever.

I can't see any way to separate it from the taskbar yet.

suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

c0burn posted:

Why do you need two icons? If the app is running it acts like the old taskbar, if its not it acts like the old quicklaunch. Middle click launches a new instance, if thats what you're missing.

no, I really just want my quick launch bar to auto-hide somewhere so I don't have 15 icons cluttering up the taskbar... I use it as a list of my most frequently launched apps because I never got in the habit of using the start menu in WinXP... saves a few clicks (and hunting and pecking through the full program list) every time I want to launch an app.

This is what I had True Launch Bar doing in XP...

Click here for the full 800x588 image.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Guerrand posted:

So just use True Launch Bar? The site says it's Win7 compatible.

And don't forget to post in this thread.

I was hoping to avoid that since it's a bit of a resource hog.... figured in the time between the release of WinXP and Win7 they'd decide that was valuable functionality to add.

So is there any other way to accomplish a similar thing?

any way to cascade a selection of shortcuts out so I don't have 15 things pinned to the taskbar?

I guess I'll just learn to love the start menu if not.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I never said it's hard, it's just clutter, I guess I didn't realize I was being so unreasonable asking if there was a way to auto-hide them.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

LooseChanj posted:

Just use an applauncher gadget, it's the easiest way. (Speaking from experience, I could never get TLB to work on Vista.)

awesome, didn't realize there were gadgets for it since I'm green to Win7, thanks for the heads-up.

m2pt5 posted:

Try [url=http://en.https://www.ali.dj/jumplist-launcher/]Jumplist Launcher[/url] - it lets you add custom shortcuts to its jumplist, and can even do groups within the list, so it kind of works like a quick launch bar that hides.

looks like this might fit the bill perfectly, thanks! I think I'll try this and Launchy out to see which works best.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

ninepints posted:

It's just weird since from our perspective you're asking for a bar with shortcuts on it and that's exactly what the new taskbar gives you, except with bonus OS integration. Also of note, in my experience the start menu search bar can completely replace Launchy - just press winkey and start typing.

yeah, but I'm talking about like 10-20 apps that I regularly had in my quicklaunch bar in addition to another 20+ in fly out menu's... if I tried to pin those it would get a little ridiculous.

maybe I should have played with the functionality a little more before posting but it seemed kind of baffling to me that they took away the ability to detach toolbars from the taskbar and move them where you wanted.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
any idea why my google chrome icon isn't showing up when I pin it to the taskbar?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

warning posted:

Google rebuild icon cache in windows 7 and you should find some instructions that will fix it.

tried this a few times, still not loading correctly :argh:

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

evale posted:

Have you tried reinstalling it?

Awesome, looks like this is working for now. Hopefully it won't become corrupted again. Thanks!

now to figure out why it takes a full minute to wake up from sleep when it only takes 30 seconds to boot Windows.

anybody have any tips on speeding up waking from sleep?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
can anyone tell me why even though a monitor is set as my main display my apps keep loading on the secondary display by default (which in this case is my tv which is normally turned off... kind of a pain.

edit: nevermind, looks like maybe a game I'm running is pushing them over to the secondary display and they're not resetting to the primary after it's shut down.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 29, 2010

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

OgNar posted:

When I have a game that does that I'll try to hit Win+P to set it to single monitor first and then change it back when I'm done.

whoa, win+p disables the secondary display??? that's a rad new trick I never knew.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
for some reason WMP isn't showing the music from the library folders I have selected. It's only showing the 3 songs in the public users folder and won't index anything else.

anybody had this issue before?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So maybe this isn't the right place to ask but I'm hoping someone might have an idea.

Ever since building my new system and installing Win7 I've had issues with my router dropping my connection once or twice a day. I've never had an issue with this router before and made sure I installed the latest network drivers from Gigabyte.

Are there any other configuration settings that maybe I'm overlooking in troubleshooting it in Win7?

I guess my next step is buying a new router but I haven't even had this Linksys a year yet.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I woke up this morning to a pleasant surprise... an automated Windows update had seemingly restarted my computer and I was greeted with this message:

BOOTMGR is missing

I figured, oh, no big deal... I can probably just repair from disc. Unfortunately I discovered my DVD drive doesn't seem to be working so I'm going to have to go out and buy a new drive now. still not a big deal assuming that fixes it, but C'MON, SERIOUSLY, WTF WINDOWS. I shouldn't be having to worry about automatic updates loving up poo poo like this this late in the game.

Searching for info about this issue there are tons of help threads dating back a few years to early releases of Vista.

My question is, why is this still an issue whatsoever? Why wouldn't they have fixed it in Vista before letting it end up in Win7? What in the hell caused it so I can avoid in the future?

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/fixing-bootmgr-is-missing-error-while-trying-to-boot-windows-vista/

Anybody else run into this before?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Kynetx posted:

How do you know that an update caused it? Could've been a power outage or dip or blue screen if your computer is set to reboot.

okay, so I don't know that an update caused it, but that's the only thing that would have rebooted the system as far as I know... no power outage last night or my clock would have been reset.

what else could have caused it?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

revolther posted:

Problematic RAM or HDD, an incompatible driver or overnight scan/backup caused a crash, possibly karma for a past ostentation in the eyes of the computer gods.

well, it's brand new RAM and SSD... been running this new build for a few months now w/out problem.

no overnights scans/backups are scheduled.

I won't write-off karma yet ;)

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Son of a bitch, I tried repairing the boot multiple times off the disk and I'm still getting the same error. I tried running fix boot from command prompt but got a message about that element not being found or somesuch... This is becoming a royal PITA :(

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Kynetx posted:

still no access to an optical drive?

No, I got that sorted out. Bought a new DVD drive after work. I'm trying to use the Startup Repair utility on the Win7 disc but it doesn't seem to be doing anything after a half dozen attempts

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
think I just fixed it... I went into BIOS and discovered that my HDD boot order was mixed around... for some reason my SSD (which my OS is on) was at the bottom of the list.

no idea how that happened in the middle of the night but I feel a little foolish because that probably should have been the first thing I checked.

Now I know...

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'm about to do a clean Win8 install on a new SSD, I haven't installed Win8 before and am still on Win7.

Can anyone offer any first-time configuration recommendations? any sort of install guides out there that recommend disabling/enabling particular services right from the get-go?

any considerations of things to setup right off the bat that I may overlook since I haven't done a clean install in 3 or 4 years?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I waited a few months to upgrade to 8.1, figured that should be enough time to work out some of the inevitable kinks.

How wrong I was. Setup took forever so I let it run overnight. This morning I go to finish up configuration only to find that my keyboard and mouse aren't responding. Oh joy. Unplug and replug in my mouse and that worked to get me to the onscreen keyboard and get through the few setup steps.

Unfortunately keyboard still doesn't work, do a little reading and it sounds like I have to f with a bios setting...seriously? Tell me they don't expect the average user to mess with bios in order for their keyboard to work after a minor update.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=35631467

pretty sure this is what I'm running up against, apparently I have to disable xhci which would mean I would lose usb3 speeds, which would be a pretty big downgrade compared to the trivial 8.1 functionality improvements.

Problem now is that I can't find where to disable xhci in my award bios

Am I missing it here somewhere?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

37th Chamber posted:

If you haven't already, you should go make sure you have the latest chipset drivers before anything else.

Edit: also, some system specs would help out some as well to investigate.

well, after a few restarts my keyboard is working again, then my soundcard wasn't working, I updated my soundcard drivers and that's working again now. this update was just a much bigger pain in the rear end than it should have been.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Inspector_666 posted:

While I agree that the process of upgrading to 8.1 is a lot more troublesome than it should be, it's really not a "minor update."

that's true... it's a full service pack. I guess it just didn't feel like a lot was changed from an end-user perspective even though I'm sure there's a lot of compatibility work that was done behind the scenes. I haven't read the full release notes or anything.

When I typed that it was from my phone because my keyboard & mouse weren't working because of a seemingly innocuous patch, so I was a little frustrated.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Ever since updating to 8.1 the onscreen keyboard appears at startup, I can't find a way to disable it from auto starting, any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

MMD3 posted:

Ever since updating to 8.1 the onscreen keyboard appears at startup, I can't find a way to disable it from auto starting, any thoughts?

still can't figure out how to get rid of the onscreen keyboard at startup, anybody have an idea?