Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006

SteveMcQueen posted:

I hope this is the right place to post this. I have an Asus 1000h that I installed Windows 7 RC on a week or so ago. It was all new and fun for a couple days but I've realized that my netbook simply doesn't have the juice to run Windows 7 properly. After coming to this conclusion, I've attempted to re-install Windows XP by making a bootable flash drive and just doing a clean install from there. I'm at my wits end however because

1) Live USB Helper doesn't work on Windows 7,
2) Make Bootable can't see my flash drive,
3) The HP Disk Storage Format Tool failed to make my drive bootable,
4) Windows 7 doesn't use BOOT.INI, NTLDR, and NTDETECT so I can't move those files to my flash drive,
5) USB_PREP8 also cannot find my flash drive.

So, in conclusion, has anyone made an install flash drive in Windows 7? How in the sam heck did you get it to work?

I went through a bunch of hell figuring this out too. Eventually I stumbled across a blog that worked perfectly.
http://garyshortblog.wordpress.com/2009/01/10/how-to-install-windows-7-beta-on-an-acer-aspire-one-netbook/

I think I did have to download a different bootsect than Win7 uses, but otherwise it's pretty straightforward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU