Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

deltawing posted:

Any particular reason you're not running Aero?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Is it just me or does Java run like horseshit? It auto updated a few days ago and now it runs like rear end in IE.

Java has run like horseshit for years pretty much

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Running the Release Candidate here. I'm having a strange issue with playing DVDs in Windows Media Player. On some DVDs, every twenty minutes or so the screen starts flashing different colors and WMP eventually crashes. I think it may have something to do with subtitles, since it happens with The Diving Bell and the Butterfly and Battle Royale, but I watched the entirety of Idiocracy and The Odd Couple with no problems. I don't have any third-party codecs installed. Has anyone else experienced this?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Ziir posted:

What about moving the show desktop button to be next to the start button?

"oops meant to click the start button but minimized all my windows instead"

Weedle
May 31, 2006

grrowl posted:

if LYX = WOW, it was mentioned somewhere in here earlier that you have to manually pin the wow.exe by navigating to its folder, right click, "pin to taskbar". What's happening here is the WoW shortcut points to a Launcher.exe, which in turn loads the game. If it isn't WoW i'd have a look around in its program directory anyway, to see if there's a "real" exe that gets spawned from something on the shortcut.

uh, he's probably talking about LyX

Weedle
May 31, 2006

bazaar apparatus posted:

1) On a laptop, is there an easy way to disable the "tap-to-click" crap? It's getting really annoying having things get clicked on accident all the time and there are no settings that I can find for it in Win7 itself. I'd imagine it would be a setting in the driver itself but I can't find where those preferences would be, if they exist.

Install the manufacturer drivers for the touchpad. Mine is Synaptics, and the official Synaptics drivers have an option to turn off tap to click.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Gooofy posted:

Yep.
I assume you are talking about this:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/007dbf629e.jpg

YA DONE hosed UP

Weedle
May 31, 2006

BIOJECT posted:

If I upgrade from Vista to Windows 7, will I experience any compatibility issues with games and other software or is the capability about the same as Vista?

There are a very few pieces of software that work with Vista but not 7, but for the most part you shouldn't run into any issues.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

bradzilla posted:

So are you trying to say that I'll essentially need to buy a copy of Vista and a copy of Win7 if I want to use retail Win7?

If so, gently caress that poo poo I'll just go back to Vista.

No, you need to have a copy of XP or Vista if you're going to use the upgrade edition. That's the whole point of an upgrade: to offer a cheaper option to people who own the previous version of the OS. If you don't own any licenses for previous versions of Windows, just buy the full version of Windows 7.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

everyone posted:

EU browser poo poo

Oh my godddddddd not this again

Weedle fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 13, 2009

Weedle
May 31, 2006

MEAT TREAT posted:

I really doubt this will affect the majority of EU users since the OEMs will probably bundle a browser. Really this will only inconvenience users that go out and buy an install disc.

kapinga posted:

JESUS CHRIST WE ALREADY HAVE A THREAD FOR THIS poo poo. STOP loving UP THIS ONE!!!!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

BonoMan posted:

So I just realized that that Windows 7 logo seen on some of the boxes (the kind brush stroke-esque looking one on the ugrade box), is just the upper right area of the upper right "window" of the Windows logo!

I had to find a picture of the box by itself before I realized what you were talking about, but that's really cool.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Beforan posted:

Rather than wade through *all* 64 pages of this one, have people seen http://www.sevenclassicstart.com yet? Where some people decided it was totally 100% worth putting the "classic" start menu back in, as if people haven't gotten used to it since XP, 8 years ago? Furthermore, they're charging for the privilege.

quote:

This page is not compatible with Internet Explorer 6 or earlier.

How does he expect to cater to the neo-Luddite crowd if he won't support their browser of choice?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I used XP with 512MB of RAM for nearly three years with no problem. 2 GB is basically the minimum for Vista but XP is much less demanding on that front.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Full Circle posted:

Hes guys how many times should I zero pass my hard drive to make sure it cannot be recovered?

you should just repeatedly zero it forever. it's the only way to be sure

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I've started having a problem wherein my laptop's keyboard randomly stops working until I reboot. I thought it was just the keyboard itself failing because everything else on this piece of poo poo is disintegrating now that it's two weeks out of warranty, but I tried opening the onscreen keyboard and it just hangs at a blank window indefinitely, leading me to believe that the keyboard driver might be loving up. I've been running Windows 7 since January and am only just now having this problem, but the only new thing I've installed recently is Virtual Clone Drive and I don't see how that would gently caress with the keyboard drivers. Has anyone else run into this?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

c0burn posted:

Flash is basically terrible

See also: Quicktime, Adobe Reader

At least those have alternatives. Don't like Adobe Reader? Install Foxit Reader. Don't like Quicktime? Install ffdshow. Don't like Flash? gently caress YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

BonoMan posted:

I'm always shakin' windows and throwing them to the side to do the "snap to half the frame" thing in XP at work. gently caress I can't wait until we upgrade.

I was hoping we would upgrade soonish but apparently we just placed a huge order for a whole bunch of new Dells with Vista. Also we just bought a bunch of Mac Pros with Leopard since apparently we couldn't wait for Snow Leopard either. :suicide:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Lum posted:

Ahh, I've never really bothered with the gadgets, are they actually worth it?

Only bandwidth meter I've ever used is Task Manager, and even then only if something is acting up.

Weather is the only one that's useful to me.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

I've started having a problem wherein my laptop's keyboard randomly stops working until I reboot. I thought it was just the keyboard itself failing because everything else on this piece of poo poo is disintegrating now that it's two weeks out of warranty, but I tried opening the onscreen keyboard and it just hangs at a blank window indefinitely, leading me to believe that the keyboard driver might be loving up. I've been running Windows 7 since January and am only just now having this problem, but the only new thing I've installed recently is Virtual Clone Drive and I don't see how that would gently caress with the keyboard drivers. Has anyone else run into this?

It turns out that pressing Caps Lock causes the keyboard driver to completely quit working. What the hell is the deal here?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Avian Pneumonia posted:

i'm going to format the hard drive of a new laptop and install 7

what's the story on drivers? do i use vista drivers?

Windows 7 will more than likely automatically install drivers for all of your hardware. For anything it can't find/for which the drivers it finds are inadequate, Vista drivers will most likely work.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

What is there in the classic start menu that isn't in the Vista/7 menu and that can't be accessed with a simple key combination?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Compo posted:

This has probably been answered, but this is a really long thread.

If I buy this for $189.99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116678

Then I will get a free upgrade coupon to this $319.99 version of Windows 7: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116678 ??

They are the same link

Weedle
May 31, 2006

fishmech posted:

This is what happens when the EU shits itself over Microsoft.

What does Windows Live Movie Maker have to do with the EU?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

What does this mean?

Are you asking if a Windows 7 key will work with Windows 7?
What else would a Windows 7 key be for other than Windows 7?
How did you get a key already if you don't know what it's for?

He's asking whether a key for the upgrade license will work with the RTM which is presumably a non-upgrade version. It's not a difficult question to parse.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

But there will be multiple Upgrade versions of RTM.

RTM has nothing to do with Upgrade.

The RTM that you can get RIGHT NOW is not an upgrade version.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Fawkes posted:

It's not a big thing, of course, but superficial things like it -- and, say, a short tutorial of the new taskbar for casual users -- go a long way. And the OS doesn't feel as polished as I expected because of it.

I honestly can't imagine anyone not being able to figure out how the taskbar works after about 90 seconds.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Dogen posted:

Did iTunes always have a jumplist, or did that update that added appletv 3 support and broke pre syncing that came out today add it?

It's had a jumplist since 9 came out, I think.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

wintermuteCF posted:

Technically, without derailing this thread into a copyright and IP discussion, downloading or possession of digital content is only illegal if you don't have the rights to that content.

Which, if you own a key for Windows, makes it legal. It's only if you don't have a key that makes you be in trouble.

Downloading an ISO of Windows 7 from an unauthorized torrent is copyright infringement and is illegal any way you slice it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Casao posted:

This is a terrible idea. Dropbox is slow, it's a free service with no guarantees and it's designed to sync files between systems, not be used as a backup.

Data backup is actually exactly what it's for. I've been using Dropbox for backups for over a year now with zero problems.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Casao posted:

I can only speak from personal experience, but when I used it, upload speeds were less than 10k/s, despite having a wide open connection that could do a lot more, the interface wasn't particularly attractive, and it didn't deal with multiple folders well. This could've all changed, but I'd still pick something using Amazon S3 for online backup.

I know this is pretty much just anectodal evidence vs. anecdotal evidence, but Dropbox uploads and downloads almost always max out my connection. I don't really get your complaint about an unattractive interface, since it's literally just the Windows shell, and folder management has never given me any headaches.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Factor Mystic posted:

It replaces numbers that people don't understand, like gigahertz and megabytes with an ordinal scale. So while a processor that labels itself 1.8Ghz isn't necessarily "slower" than a processor that labels itself 3Ghz, a 6.5 rating is better than a 5.5 rating.

That's what it's supposed to do, but in practice the index rating is 90% voodoo. If Microsoft could make it consistently accurate and reliable, it would go a long way toward helping laypeople understand system specs. As it is, though, it's all but useless.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Avian Pneumonia posted:

i have a big folder full of (legally obtained) dvd movies in .iso format
is there a way to make them show up in windows media center?

You'll have to use Handbrake or something to rip the video to H.264 or something.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Avian Pneumonia posted:

eeeh, no thanks
WMP is great but not great enough for me to convert all of my .ISOs

You might be able to use Virtual CloneDrive or something to mount the ISOs and play them through WMP that way.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mr E posted:

I just got the Ultimate 64-bit version of Windows 7, and really love it, especially the new taskbar. I have a Palm PDA, and was wondering if there was any way for it to sync with the computer as no new drivers or devices are being made or if I should just get another PDA.

Palm OS is obsolete, so if Palm Desktop won't run under Windows 7 your only options are to run it in XP Mode (if your CPU supports hardware virtualization) or get something like an iPod Touch.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Weedle
May 31, 2006

LoonyLeif posted:

So I get the impression I'm totally hosed.

I bought a Windows 7 64-bit Professional from the student offer, for 30 bucks. Didn't know this was JUST an upgrade. I only have valid copies of 32-bit XP home and pro, like many do. Can't go back and buy the "backup DVD" and I can't get a refund.

Glad the upgrade paths were so totally clear and simple when I bought it, I pretty much wasted a whole weekend dicking around.

Help?

You can use upgrade media to do a clean install from 32-bit XP.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

darnzen posted:

This just reminded me of that part of ultimate. I was thinking about getting ultimate just for this, then I realized my linux VM's do everything I need, but I'm still curious. Has anyone tried out the unix subsystem? How exactly does it work? Can you install & run any unix app? I'm assuming you'd need to compile from source. Is it debian based or red hat or (shudder) some alien microsoft version of linux?

Maybe it's Xenix :v:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

redeyes posted:

So Windows 7 accepted a Windows Vista code??!! I gotta call BS on this.

As would I, except that's not what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

I apologize if this has been covered but at the size of this thread it is a bit daunting to search for such a specific question.

I had to rebuild a dell laptop. I ordered the win7 upgrade disks and they are yet to arrive. I really want to get the system set up. Should I continue to wait for my disks and then do the Vista install and then immediately run the upgrade? This seems to be the ideal way of running the upgrade as there is nothing else on the system.

On the other hand, I really want to use that system. If I were to set up Vista and install drivers and some basic operating software would I notice much difference with the upgrade?

Edit for clarity: 1 - should I do a clean install of Vista and then immediately run the Win7 upgrade or 2 - should i just set up the system on Vista and then upgrade to Win7 when I am able?

You could do a clean install of Vista immediately, then do a clean install of Windows 7 when you receive your DVD.