Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.
I replaced my old WinXP SE system with a new Win7 system a while ago. For running old programs, I re-installed my WinXP SE disk in VirtualBox. I made a snapshot after installing, and sometimes after testing some app, need to restore to a "clean" install. There's no reason that "clean" install needs to be as dated as the WinXP SE CD though -- there have been a ton of updates since then.

Is there some source or method to download the Windows Update patches to my local system so I can update my 'clean install' to be 2013 current instead of having it try to re-download the same patches since the release of WinXP SE all the time? Aside from the wasted time/bandwidth, I want to figure this out before Microsoft completely ends-of-life WinXP and I can't access the update site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.

Medullah posted:

Use nLite to make a custom XP disc, you can slipstream updates into it.
Sorry if this is dumb, but how can I download the updates to files so I can slipstream via nlite?

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.
Thanks for the links -- the search results I was getting looked pretty shady.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is there any software that will help me parse a PDF file with text in it (text is all selectable, it's not a scanned image) and extract specific information out of it. Bonus points it will export to Excel.

Specifically, I want to grab my bank statement and export it to an Excel file.

I don't live in the US so unfortunately I can't use Mint or similar services.

Have you tried using "Save As" to output directly to text? Acrobat Reader has a "Save As Other...Text" option.

Note that because of the way PDFs are constructed, some text might not be in the same order as it appears on the page.

Also, many banks offer statements/transactions in OFX/OFC format for import into banking management software.

onionradish fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 6, 2014

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.

Thermopyle posted:

Good way to automatically mute volume when away from the computer?
What about an AutoIt script that monitors idle time with _Timer_GetIdleTime(), then sends multiple Send("{VOLUME_DOWN}") keypresses to set the volume to zero when a threshold is crossed? Reverse the process with a couple Send("{VOLUME_UP}") when the idle time drops again.

There's a Send("{VOLUME_MUTE}") key, but it's a toggle and I don't know an easy way to read the actual volume state to prevent getting out of sync.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.
This weekend, I came home to a bluescreened Windows 7 PC due to an apparent power failure and I'm in the process of trying system recovery/restore from backups. Fortunately, I'm pretty disciplined about doing a backup every month through both Windows Backup and a utility that does file copying to a USB hard drive. Nevertheless, now that I'm having to use these backups, I can see that the process of getting back to a working system is nowhere near as seamless as I want.

After recovery, I'll be setting up a UPS to reduce the likelihood of future power failures causing corruption, but I don't want to go through this reconstruction process and downtime again.

What's the best practice and software (paid or free) for complete and simple "system image" backup/restore of a Windows 7 system? I'd like to be able to hook up a USB drive or stick every month (at least) and end up with a bootable or easily-recovered complete system (drive C: is sufficient; the other drives are just data). Bonus points if the same software can also do Windows 8. Booting to a special disk/environment to DO the backup/restore is completely fine: I'm already taking the time to do backups regularly; the goal is to make USING them easy.

onionradish fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 14, 2017

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.
Thanks Medullah and HalloKitty. I'm back in business and picked up a UPS that was on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.
Recently, it's been revealed that lovely VC-funded startup company "Kite" has compromised open-source plugins for coding editors like Sublime Text and Atom. So innocuous features like minimaps and project folder sidebars have been collecting info on the code itself or the development environment and sending it to their servers.

I'd like to set up a firewall like the MacOS "Little Snitch" on my Windows machines that will log, notify and allow blocking of attempts to phone home by apps so I can see and stop this poo poo. Back in Windows 9x days, I used to use ZoneAlarm for that, but since Win 7 and later, have just used the built-in firewalls, which have limited notifications and limited black-/white-listing of network access for apps. (For example, the firewall on Win7 doesn't even show Sublime Text in its list of apps, much less the server name or IP address that it -- or its plugins -- tries to access, even though it does a check-for-updates when it launches.)

From Google searches, I see GlassWire and Comodo Firewall. Are either any good or worth paying for? Better options?

onionradish fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 2, 2017